WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

yeah....

technically it's not an "official" trail but sorta has become one over the years...

there used to not be a sign and it was a little more difficult to find.....

if you go past the cabin, and do a bit of bushwacking---you'll end up by the horse stable......and there's old homesites (not standing anymore) in that area.....

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    yeah....

technically it's not an "official" trail but sorta has become one over the years...

there used to not be a sign and it was a little more difficult to find.....

if you go past the cabin, and do a bit of bushwacking---you'll end up by the horse stable......and there's old homesites (not standing anymore) in that area.....
    Thanks for the tip. Speaking of bushwacking (which I just looked up to be 100% sure it means what I think it means), I think the most bushwacking I did recently was in the same area of Tennessee. In Gatlinburg (a town I don't usually spend too much time in, I like to hike instead of shop, though the eating is ok) I believe there are two operating ski lifts right now. A third one still stands after being closed several years ago. The only way to get there is to go behind some buildings right in the center of Gatlinburg's strip, take a very bumpy gravel road and then end up behind a parking lot that makes you pay to park. There used to be an amusement park behind the parking lot, and the only remaining structures are a swimming pool hole and the ski lift. The seats/cars are still on the wiring. I decided to try to find my way to the top, a place I guessed no one has reached in years since there's no road to get there. I followed what looked to be a path, and got fairly far but didn't quite reach the summit. It was too overgrown. I have a video coming for that too. Maybe one day I'll make it up there...

Images

dont know much about things in gatlinburg.......

however, i've seen a ton of the historical artifacts (old boilers, rail cars, etc) in the park......

jordanliles, if you like historic ruins in the Smokies, and haven't done so already, you should check out the Hazel Creek / Proctor area off the western shore of Fontana Lake. There is an outfitter who takes you on a pontoon boat ride to the old town sites in addition to some of the best fly fishing and hiking trips available in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by jordanliles View Post
    Thanks for the tip. Speaking of bushwacking (which I just looked up to be 100% sure it means what I think it means), I think the most bushwacking I did recently was in the same area of Tennessee. In Gatlinburg (a town I don't usually spend too much time in, I like to hike instead of shop, though the eating is ok) I believe there are two operating ski lifts right now. A third one still stands after being closed several years ago. The only way to get there is to go behind some buildings right in the center of Gatlinburg's strip, take a very bumpy gravel road and then end up behind a parking lot that makes you pay to park. There used to be an amusement park behind the parking lot, and the only remaining structures are a swimming pool hole and the ski lift. The seats/cars are still on the wiring. I decided to try to find my way to the top, a place I guessed no one has reached in years since there's no road to get there. I followed what looked to be a path, and got fairly far but didn't quite reach the summit. It was too overgrown. I have a video coming for that too. Maybe one day I'll make it up there...
    Not sure if I am correct in saying this, but, The was once an amusement park I went to as a kid there and it was called Ghost Town. I thought it was amazing but I had heard they closed it down. The only way to get to it was by taking a ski lift up to the top, or a very steep bumpy mountain truck ride down. There was a roller coaster that was built partially into the mountain and going off the side of it. Best place I had/ have ever been, for me at least. It was old western themed. Like I said, I could be wrong, but it sounds like it. Sorry to post something a bit off topic
    For something on topic, does the government allow people willing to restore these places to help if they want?

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Korn View Post
    Not sure if I am correct in saying this, but, The was once an amusement park I went to as a kid there and it was called Ghost Town. I thought it was amazing but I had heard they closed it down. The only way to get to it was by taking a ski lift up to the top, or a very steep bumpy mountain truck ride down. There was a roller coaster that was built partially into the mountain and going off the side of it. Best place I had/ have ever been, for me at least. It was old western themed. Like I said, I could be wrong, but it sounds like it. Sorry to post something a bit off topic
    For something on topic, does the government allow people willing to restore these places to help if they want?
    Wow interesting. I think this place I was talking about had a different name, but I had never heard of Ghost Town. Sounds cool. I think the place I found is beyond restoring. You'd have to tear everything down and start from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    jordanliles, if you like historic ruins in the Smokies, and haven't done so already, you should check out the Hazel Creek / Proctor area off the western shore of Fontana Lake. There is an outfitter who takes you on a pontoon boat ride to the old town sites in addition to some of the best fly fishing and hiking trips available in this area.
    I have been to Hazel Creek Cascades, but I went the way from Clingman's Dome. Hardest hike back up I've ever experienced for sure. I will have to check out the hike from Fontana. It's longer to get to the cascades but sounds cool.

Ghost Town is in Maggie Valley, NC and is very much open for business, albeit only recently. It has seen its share of adversity the last few years, bankruptcies, landslide, and the latest - a gunfighter injured by "gunfire" during one of the shows. It reopened early last month after being closed for a few years. Lady that bought it has some $$$ evidently and is pumping a lot money in to restore it to its former "glory". It's only partially reopened - ski lift, a few kiddie rides, the main town, several county fair games and its gun show and saloon hall show. We took the kids there last month. I hope it makes it, Maggie could use the tourism dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by ATL Backpacker View Post
    Ghost Town is in Maggie Valley, NC and is very much open for business, albeit only recently. It has seen its share of adversity the last few years, bankruptcies, landslide, and the latest - a gunfighter injured by "gunfire" during one of the shows. It reopened early last month after being closed for a few years. Lady that bought it has some $$$ evidently and is pumping a lot money in to restore it to its former "glory". It's only partially reopened - ski lift, a few kiddie rides, the main town, several county fair games and its gun show and saloon hall show. We took the kids there last month. I hope it makes it, Maggie could use the tourism dollars.
    Interesting. Thanks for letting me know.

There used to be a maintained trail up to Blanket Mountain off the Jakes Creek trail. I believe there is a foundation for a cabin and other remnants there as well.... However, there are no views atop this mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMW View Post
    There used to be a maintained trail up to Blanket Mountain off the Jakes Creek trail. I believe there is a foundation for a cabin and other remnants there as well.... However, there are no views atop this mountain.
    Too many trees at the top to get a good view?

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

this area was used on the TV show Man, Woman, Wild.

it has been speculated it was also a place of lodging for Horace Kephart, which he describes in his book.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post

it has been speculated it was also a place of lodging for Horace Kephart, which he describes in his book.
    Interesting. I have ordered the DVD on Amazon and will report back. It was only $5 or so.

Pretty cool stuff -- thanks for sharing!
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Quote Originally Posted by jordanliles View Post
    Too many trees at the top to get a good view?
    \

Yea, it's all topped out with vegetation. At the time of our hike (1998?) there were partial views along the trail. I remember alot of rhododenren tunnels on the way up as well.... I looked for the trail junction in a recent hike we made up Jakes Creek to Miry Ridge but unfortunately did not see the junction....

The park has abandoned houses, cemeteries, towns, ETC all through it. The TVA removed thousands of people from their homes to build Fontana Lake If you do some cross country hiking a person can find all kinds of neat and interesting stuff

Default I found an abandoned neighborhood and hotel in the Tennessee mountains (Video)

Thanks so much for that great video. I lived in Asheville from 1992-2002. Brought back some great memories!!!!

Thanks for the video of Elkmont. It was fantastic. I was camping in the Elkmont campground last May, 2012, and did some hiking in the area. And I discovered the Elkmont Historic Distric for the first time. All those houses were very interesting. I estimated there were about 35 or 40 of them, but in reading about the area, it seems there were actually over 100. Last May, the Park Service was restoring one very near the Clubhouse, which has been restored. Evidently most of the houses will stand there till they fall down. The Park Service cannot tear them down because the area has been designated a National Historic Area, and they can't afford to restore many, only a few. Thanks again.

Bessie Breeze

Quote Originally Posted by bessiebreeze View Post
    Thanks for the video of Elkmont. It was fantastic. I was camping in the Elkmont campground last May, 2012, and did some hiking in the area. And I discovered the Elkmont Historic Distric for the first time. All those houses were very interesting. I estimated there were about 35 or 40 of them, but in reading about the area, it seems there were actually over 100. Last May, the Park Service was restoring one very near the Clubhouse, which has been restored. Evidently most of the houses will stand there till they fall down. The Park Service cannot tear them down because the area has been designated a National Historic Area, and they can't afford to restore many, only a few. Thanks again.

Bessie Breeze
    Sure thing. One of my goals was to give people a way to experience some of the homes and grounds from anywhere in the world by watching the video. We're all so busy with our daily lives and it's nice that we can go online and watch something calm and relaxing like this. I did it for myself too!

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post

Are you sure it was Man Woman Wild? I just watched the entire Smoky Mountains episode (which they misspelled "Smokey" sadly) and there was no sign of any of the Wonderland/Elkmont stuff. Was it a different show?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++