WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Smile Places to camp in tent in GA?

Is there a place to set up a tent and camp between Gooch Mtn Shelter and Woods Hole Shelter?

I will be section hiking in GA in a few weeks. Starting at Springer Mtn and going into NC. This will be my first section hike. (2weeks). I lived in Asheville, NC for a few years and did some day hiking there and a few over night hikes. I live in Florida now, but I have been training for this hike almost all year. I'm not sure how many miles I can do on the trail and do not want to plan on getting to a campsite and not be able to make it. I ask for tent sites because I will be hiking with my service dog. I understand it is not polite to sleep in shelters with a dog and am completely fine with that, no complaints, I just want to be prepared and have back up plans! Thanks!

You will have room to tent camp near the shelters.

You can tent anywhere in GA.

Some camping spots with water between Gooch and Woods Hole would include Gooch Gap, Woody Gap (after you cross the highway) and Lance Creek.

Georgia is wide open, any place you find a spot, set your tent up. Build a fire ring, cut fresh trees to burn, leave your
    #2and toilet paper all over the place, oh and do not forget to leave a lot of that extra food your carrying at stover creek or hawk mountain shelter.

I camped at Wolf Laurel Top! Nice flat area if you tent ( I hammock) and the view is spectacular!
    Please practice LNT as others who had camped there before me had certainly not!

Images

Hey, CK !! I'm in Tampa (Valrico) as well. Here's my Trail journal from 2012: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=368222 .

I had NO trouble finding a place to tent up until VA when I had to stop my thru attempt. The first few days I used a hammock, but switched to a tent. I don't see any problems with you finding a spot. My advice though: start looking for a spot about 30-45 minutes before sundown. Stop at the first nice one you see, and don't think there will be a better one just up the Trail. There may or may not.

I found it easier to hang my bear bag, set up the tent, fix supper, etc, etc, BEFORE dark.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Lots of places to camp, more than even listed in the guide books. Ramrock Mt. Has a nice tent area, but no water in the immediate area. Another one about a mile north of Woody Gap as well. IMO the sites behind Woody Gap are just too close to the road, and seem to get some local visits as well. Lance Creek seemed nice, but seemed way over used. With all the rain GA has had, and is still getting, water shouldn't be an issue at all. Hope to be hiking south from Dick's Creek over the Labor Day weekend, so maybe we'll see out there!
    Agree with OH, set up with plenty of time before dark. One thing we would do, is eat dinner around 5-6, and then hike for another mile or two and then set up.
    Enjoy your hike!

Quote Originally Posted by nu2hike View Post
    I camped at Wolf Laurel Top! Nice flat area if you tent ( I hammock) and the view is spectacular!
    Please practice LNT as others who had camped there before me had certainly not!
    One of the nicest places I have camped on the AT in GA. There was a group of UGA students there when I was there and at least 2 hammocks.

Thank you all so much! I am happily reassured about my hike and places to sleep! I am so grateful for this forum and all of the amazing people that are a part if it!

Section Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by Chris10 View Post
    Lots of places to camp, more than even listed in the guide books. Ramrock Mt. Has a nice tent area, but no water in the immediate area. Another one about a mile north of Woody Gap as well. IMO the sites behind Woody Gap are just too close to the road, and seem to get some local visits as well. Lance Creek seemed nice, but seemed way over used. With all the rain GA has had, and is still getting, water shouldn't be an issue at all. Hope to be hiking south from Dick's Creek over the Labor Day weekend, so maybe we'll see out there!
    Agree with OH, set up with plenty of time before dark. One thing we would do, is eat dinner around 5-6, and then hike for another mile or two and then set up.
    Enjoy your hike!
    Yes, I also saw lots more established sites in GA than were listed in guides. You should be fine! (Hi, Chris10!!!)

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Hey,

going to try and get up to the trail during Labor Day weekend, maybe do a 15 mile section. S..l...o..w..l...y working our way through GA

Images

A mile north of Woody gap is a great site awesome views just no water.
    "Sometimes you have to make a clean break from the past to make a new beginning"

Had a question, but found the answer myself.
    Last edited by marti038; 08-19-2013 at 09:07.

++ New Posts ++