WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I did exactly what you are contemplating in 2008. Hiking the BMT instead of repeating a section of the AT is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    Per the the smokies you are a thru hikers.
    I started out with this assumption, but was informed by a ranger that this only applies to hikers on the AT. BMT thru-hikers, including those that intend to continue on the AT are treated like section hikers and must register campsites ahead of time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    yeah but i love a good debate. i honestly dont care about labels, never have, ...
    Yet you start a thread about "labels".

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    I like it also. But you will figure out some way to do it wrong anyway. You will reconnect with the AT at mile 1.3 and not realize it until Fontana.
    And the trail markers past three forks area will have you convinced you are really on the BMT

Images

it's conjecture.
    you are assuming you will finish.
    start and follow whatever path the Great Vague Blaze leads you down and label when you get home if you must.
    not following your whims is doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    Uh, Rocket is that you in disguise?
    Finally got it ....I think...funny anyway.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jesse:1517214
    yeah but i love a good debate. i honestly dont care about labels, never have, ...
    Yet you start a thread about "labels".
    yeah but I love a good debate

i was born doing it wrong, came out ass backwards
    In your case that would be.......bass ackwards.

doctor picked me up and said, "great ,twins!!"
    Dis he slap you or your mother......................Rodney Dangerfield.

Images

yeah but I love a good debate
    the answer is NO, where's the debate
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    the answer is NO, where's the debate
    guess the party's over then.

Images

guess the party's over then.
    the party is in your head. it won't stop
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Unless they change things (and they should) the Benton does not have thru hiker reservations like the AT. So you'll have to get creative.
    Campsite reservations on the BMT through GSMNP are NOWHERE as near competitive to acquire than the shelter reservations on the AT or in some other front country areas in the park. Got my reservations as a walk in at Sugarlands no problem. Most sites were totally vacant of any other party when I went through in June. The sites that tend to have campers are the ones nearest the paved roads or perhaps near the firefly displays near Smokemont when that event is occurring. GSMNP has a great interactive campsite reservation system where you can click on various numbered campsites that show availability, pictures, description, water sources, number of sites, etc. I would like to see some other NPs adopt the same interactive system through the internet. You also have some very knowledgable GSMNP people here on WB like TnViking(TNhiker), Sgt Rock, Ox97GaMe, and many others. They all helped me with my AT/BMT loop. THX to all of them.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    the party is in your head. it won't stop
    one can only hope

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Campsite reservations on the BMT through GSMNP are NOWHERE as near competitive to acquire than the shelter reservations on the AT or in some other front country areas in the park. Got my reservations as a walk in at Sugarlands no problem. Most sites were totally vacant of any other party when I went through in June. The sites that tend to have campers are the ones nearest the paved roads or perhaps near the firefly displays near Smokemont when that event is occurring. GSMNP has a great interactive campsite reservation system where you can click on various numbered campsites that show availability, pictures, description, water sources, number of sites, etc. I would like to see some other NPs adopt the same interactive system through the internet. You also have some very knowledgable GSMNP people here on WB like TnViking(TNhiker), Sgt Rock, Ox97GaMe, and many others. They all helped me with my AT/BMT loop. THX to all of them.
    sounds like it would be pretty sparse in march/early april, no issues.
    yeah i know 10k and others have done it, im gonna need some advice before i start. thanks, d.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57:1517253
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    yeah i know 10k and others have done it, im gonna need some advice before i start. thanks, d.
    Except for two or three campsites it is very quiet on the BMT

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by snifur View Post
    Dog, what are you talking about? dont you know that this is WB land? I was under the understanding that everyone here was a thru-hiker or envious of the thru-hiker status. What other reason is there to hike? This site is devoted to status and solely status. Otherwise one would be free to state their intentions and gear without criticism and critique. Do not treat HB any different. He is just another guy who gets on WB and makes claims and broadcasts his thoughts. He is not special in anyway. No more so than the others that are ridiculed and forced to leave WB land. Treat him like the common folk he is.
    Not everybody.....I'm intrigued by the idea, and I want Snacktime to learn to appreciate their sense of adventure, but I don't think I'd want to be one. I enjoy hiking the trail, but hardship...the serious suck...isn't in my plans. I'm here for the beauty, fellowship and adventure.....(on the trail that is, not WB) and to share it all with my grandson.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

The issue is at some point you're gonna have to peer into your crystal ball and pick dates for each campsite. Much easier paperwork wise to thru thru park on AT.

The issue is at some point you're gonna have to peer into your crystal ball and pick dates for each campsite. Much easier paperwork wise to thru thru park on AT.
    Get online just before when your at the Fontana village store which has wifi. The BMT in the Smokies is not crowded. You will need to resupply there anyway. I could be persuaded to meet you and Hike the BMT through the Smokies and will bring Almond Joy pieces this time.
    Last edited by Rasty; 08-14-2013 at 20:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Get online just before when your at the Fontana village store which has wifi.
    Do they have a printer for hiker use?

Do they have a printer for hiker use?
    I didn't print mine. Oops!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++