WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Journal Entries
    Images

Last couple of years. Just trash picking up at the 3 trail heads within 5 miles. Once in awhile clean out the Oct Mt firepit which I should do regular since I know the back way in. Years ago I helped out abit with the relocation.

Images

P7132404.jpgP8172736.jpgP8172742.jpgP9132950.jpgPA183242.jpgPB083348.jpgPB093372.jpg

I hooked up with this crew in July, I had walked about 75 miles up to then in '14'. Worked every month since but only managed to get out for about 30 more.
    Unfortunately, the more trail work I do, the less miles I've walked.

Images

I've put in over 26 ATC trail crew "weeks" and lots of outings with local NCNST trail chapter. Then again, I've also put years under my boots/shoes in that time frame.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Quote Originally Posted by gregpphoto View Post
    Well give it a couple million years and another orogeny and maybe Connecticut will have big enough mountains to attract me!
    Well, get another 30 years on ya, and I'll bet you'll find most any mountain between NJ an VT a challenge lol

Images

Well so far in '15' I've only walked about 100 miles, but I've done 250 hrs of trail work!

The GF and I just did a 7 mile loop hike up Caribou Mountain and along the way we cleaned the leaves out of the water bars on the trail. Something as simple as that goes a long way to make sure the trail stays in decent shape. We usually dedicate a couple weekends during the in the Spring to clean blowdowns off the Grafton Notch Loop Trail. Memorial weekend, we had two older couples thank us for clearing the trail, but the younger hikers just walked on by, stepping over and around the branches on the trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    The GF and I just did a 7 mile loop hike up Caribou Mountain and along the way we cleaned the leaves out of the water bars on the trail. Something as simple as that goes a long way to make sure the trail stays in decent shape. We usually dedicate a couple weekends during the in the Spring to clean blowdowns off the Grafton Notch Loop Trail. Memorial weekend, we had two older couples thank us for clearing the trail, but the younger hikers just walked on by, stepping over and around the branches on the trail.

I am glad to say that in these 2 years of building trail..............99.8% of the folks walking thru, voice their appreciation. Many folks say they want to get involved...............I tell them that when we are gone and they are our age they will be taking our place.

At the annual RPH shelter Work/BBQ, many LASHers and thrus stop for the weekend and chip in!

It is indeed 'All good'

Its just like anywhere else you go in life...if you see something that needs done, do it. It doesn't have to be an organized and planned out thing.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    Well so far in '15' I've only walked about 100 miles, but I've done 250 hrs of trail work!
    And does that include all the miles you walk back and forth while performing the trail maintenance?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

I walked that .123 miles 18 times on that West Mtn. relo, plus the .75 to the worksite....with tools!

Images

In 2015 didn't do as much hiking or trail maintenance as I would have liked to.
    My wife and I have a section of trail corridor in NY where we are boundary monitors.

I especially like doing trail grooming, using long handled loppers.

I trim the brush that grown over the trail.

I haven't don't much of that, lately: our group isn't active.

However, I do trail grooming every hike: I carry a large lawn and leaf bag, or a contractor's bag, and pick up any trash in fire pits, or elsewhere, I see.

If more trash than I can pick
    up, I report it.

I've started taking Tipi's rec and hiking with hand pruners doing some pruning as I go. Problem, or maybe not a problem, I like hand pruning so much that I take it to the level of professional arboriculture artistry.

Regularly pick up and pack out others trash.

Volunteer 10 days or more per yr on trail maintenance crews on various trails. SO MANY trails need help! How do you assist?

My ratio is so dismal though as it's typical to avg 2500 hiking miles on trails and routes annually.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I've started taking Tipi's rec and hiking with hand pruners doing some pruning as I go. Problem, or maybe not a problem, I like hand pruning so much that I take it to the level of professional arboriculture artistry.
    Me too. I had seen the bigger stuff hacked with hachets.

When I had a chance to go with a group, contracted to do trail work, I brought my long-handled loppers and a green saw I tucked in a rifle scabbard.

I hadn't thought of taking hand pruners along on a hike: individuals are highly restricted about cutting, taking, etc. in wilderness and parklands near me.

How about National Forests? No?
    Last edited by Connie; 05-30-2016 at 02:18.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    My ratio, alas is infinite, as I have done zero formal trail maintenance. I do have hopes of retiring soon, and that's certainly something I plan to do when I have the time.
    RPH summer work party for the last couple of summers, and hopefully this summer as well. Spent a day hacking out a short local trail as part of an AMC work party last summer.

Wife and I are still debating where to retire to, but my non-negotiable requirement is that it be near the AT (or some other major trail, but preferably AT) so I can do lots more. Williamstown and Great Barrington are top candidates.

PATC Cadillac Crew in central Virginia welcomes thru hikers at the table for our monthly evening potluck, as long as we have enough to go around. We also welcome volunteers for our weekends, of course, and some of us come in from as far away as Philadelphia. (We're one of seven trail crews here, and we've got a lot of people doing shelters also.)

Yes, thanks and LNT are appreciated, but a lifelong commitment to maintaining all our naional trail systems is needed also. The underfunded fed and state rangers depend on us all; more hands are desperately needed, young and old, all persuasions.
    One of the cooler trail experiences I have enjoyed is sidehilling in a relo while our lead puts up those white blazes, knowing that our work is going to be a part of one of the long Trails that we walk for years to come.

Oh, and I only freeblaze about 5 days for every maintenance day. Planning to increase that this year.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    Awesome Post!! I agree!!
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I always thank trail maintainers, but I have been almost ignored by them too while thanking them before.

Perhaps they were just tired, or perhaps after cleaning trash out a privy, their perception of hikers was temporarily affected.
    Too tired is true. Also, many hikers just thank, never turn back at the end of their journey to get back out on trail weekends with picks and shovels. Come on out! AFAIK there are no UL sledgehammers and rockbars, sorry.

P7132404.jpgP8172736.jpgP8172742.jpgP9132950.jpgPA183242.jpgPB083348.jpgPB093372.jpg

I hooked up with this crew in July, I had walked about 75 miles up to then in '14'. Worked every month since but only managed to get out for about 30 more.
    Unfortunately, the more trail work I do, the less miles I've walked.
    I am glad to say that in these 2 years of building trail..............99.8% of the folks walking thru, voice their appreciation. Many folks say they want to get involved...............I tell them that when we are gone and they are our age they will be taking our place.

At the annual RPH shelter Work/BBQ, many LASHers and thrus stop for the weekend and chip in!

It is indeed 'All good'
    Good stuff Coach Lou. Nice NJ/NY Trail Conference doubling back stone work steps. I can't place the location though?

Don Louigi were you in Good Fellas?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++