WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I Can't Believe I Hiked the Whole Thing!

I just finished thru hiking the Long Trail SOBO, from June 25 through July 22nd, 27 days. Perhaps for most of you that doesn't seem like a big accomplishment, but this 67 year old body is quite pleased that I was able to finish.

It was the most amazing, and difficult thing I've ever done. I tried a NOBO last year but had to stop at Rt. 4, as I was unprepared. This year I lightened up considerably, limiting my pack to 23 pounds (5 days food, 2L water), although it rained so much I didn't need to carry much water. I couldn't have done this hike without going lighter.

Along with my small items, i carried a Zpacks Exo 50L pack at 14 oz., an 11 oz. Darien UL Dream Hammock, an 8 oz Hammockgear cuben tarp, a 20 degree top and bottom quilt, which I'm glad I had, a 5 oz. Zpacks rain jacket and rain skirt, wore one pair of socks with my LaSportiva Wildcats, and wore the same wool tee shirt and nylon shorts the entire time. I did have another set to sleep in at night.

Thanks to Steve Merrill for the shuttle from St. Albans to the North Troy Inn where Sami, the owner graciously waited up for me to arrive at midnight. She made breakfast the next morning, and I'm sure she could be a professional cook. She even drove me to the trailhead in the morning.

Starting at Journey's End, it rained every day for two straight weeks. There is a marsh just north of Jeffersonville that I walked across in water up to my knees.

Stayed at Nye's Green Valley B & B. Marsha and Dave love hikers, and she got up at 5:00am, just to make me the best raspberry/apple pancakes in the world.

Other resupplies included the Best Western in Waterbury, and the Inn at the Long Trail. Of course Jeff's Green Mountain House Hiker Hostel in Manchester Center is a gem on the trail.

Who was it that first blazed the trail up and over Mt. Mansfield? They had to be either crazy or drinking. I've never seen anything like that.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376350300.076611.jpg

Pedxing - I saw your entry in a shelter log at the lower end of the trail, can't remember which one.

Looking back, this hike was one of the highlites of my life. I love this trail. Thanks to all members who posted helpful info on the trail.

Congrats Deacon!!! That's very cool!!

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    I just finished thru hiking the Long Trail SOBO, from June 25 through July 22nd, 27 days. Perhaps for most of you that doesn't seem like a big accomplishment, but this 67 year old body is quite pleased that I was able to finish.

It was the most amazing, and difficult thing I've ever done. I tried a NOBO last year but had to stop at Rt. 4, as I was unprepared. This year I lightened up considerably, limiting my pack to 23 pounds (5 days food, 2L water), although it rained so much I didn't need to carry much water. I couldn't have done this hike without going lighter.

Along with my small items, i carried a Zpacks Exo 50L pack at 14 oz., an 11 oz. Darien UL Dream Hammock, an 8 oz Hammockgear cuben tarp, a 20 degree top and bottom quilt, which I'm glad I had, a 5 oz. Zpacks rain jacket and rain skirt, wore one pair of socks with my LaSportiva Wildcats, and wore the same wool tee shirt and nylon shorts the entire time. I did have another set to sleep in at night.

Thanks to Steve Merrill for the shuttle from St. Albans to the North Troy Inn where Sami, the owner graciously waited up for me to arrive at midnight. She made breakfast the next morning, and I'm sure she could be a professional cook. She even drove me to the trailhead in the morning.

Starting at Journey's End, it rained every day for two straight weeks. There is a marsh just north of Jeffersonville that I walked across in water up to my knees.

Stayed at Nye's Green Valley B & B. Marsha and Dave love hikers, and she got up at 5:00am, just to make me the best raspberry/apple pancakes in the world.

Other resupplies included the Best Western in Waterbury, and the Inn at the Long Trail. Of course Jeff's Green Mountain House Hiker Hostel in Manchester Center is a gem on the trail.

Who was it that first blazed the trail up and over Mt. Mansfield? They had to be either crazy or drinking. I've never seen anything like that.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376350300.076611.jpg

Pedxing - I saw your entry in a shelter log at the lower end of the trail, can't remember which one.

Looking back, this hike was one of the highlites of my life. I love this trail. Thanks to all members who posted helpful info on the trail.
    Sounds like a great hike Deacon and some memories made...that's what life's about. You look like you got a few more miles left in you...what's next?

Congrats Deacon. I'm on my way to start my NOBO E2E in less than a week! Can't wait

Images

Congrats, Deacon. I hope that I can retire by 67 and get in a few nice long hikes before the ol' body begins to wear out. Of course, my Dad always used to say that you'll rust out long before you'll wear out, and from the look of things, you have no fears of rusting out!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Congratulations! Yeah, I'm jealous.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

Congrats! I'm going to be finishing in a few weeks but I'm still jealous...

Images

Awesome! Congrats!!

Yeap, the long trail has "no mercy" and having it rain every day for 2 weeks doesn't make it any easier! Congrats on sticking it out and making it all the way

I also enjoyed a stay at Nye's B+B. I had the room with the Peter rabbit theme...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Congrats Deacon!
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

That's a HUGE accomplishment on many levels in my opinion! 1) you learned from you past experiences 2) you stuck it out with the ups and downs and the rain 3) you came back and aced the test 4) you showed gratitude and appreciation by mentioning all those places, supporting people, and gear companies

You also did it by starting at, IMHO, the harder end to start at, Journeys End, the LT Northern Terminus. Despite all the recent hoopla, and not intending anything derogatory about this hiking approach, ALL thru-hiking IS NOT about speed. It's mostly, IMHO, about what you did! What you did is also a recipe for success in life in many endeavors

How did all the gear work for you? I got my eye on some of the pieces in your LT hiking kit.

Congrats Deacon. So what are you going to accomplish for you 70th birthday?

Good for you Deacon, I've never hiked that trail, but I have done things that at first I didn't think I'd be able to do...feels great dosen't it...again, congrats on stickin it out.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Congrats to you!! Considering how tough that trail is, doing it at 67 is an amazing thing!

Great job Deacon, congrats! I do recall reading your WB entries from your last years hike. I'm starting Sept 5th nobo, hoping to make it all the way this year. Last year injury bumped me off at App Gap near Waitsfield. You sound like you really planned this year's hike well and made the gear/clothing/shoes adjustments to enable you to do it. You are an inspiration to all of us hoping to hike well into our 60s or beyond.

Images

Great seeing you on both hikes of the LT. Every new year on the trail we all get a little bit smarter.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Congrats!. You are an inspiration. I'm 60 with two arthritic knees contemplating a nice hike in a few weeks. It's easy to come up with excuses why you "can't do it". Your experience tells us why you CAN do it. Nice work.

Good job young man
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Congrats Deacon! Great inspiration for us whippersnappers.

Congratulations ! This is an accomplishment !
    Just ignore it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++