WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I will refrain then. I am properly named now. The 1st suggestion was RavenLunatic. The second was SeagullWhisperer. When BirdBrain was picked, I latched on to it. I am a BirdBrain.

Wait a sec... I think I get your inference. I once was a Bird, but became an egg again. Perhaps I have said too much.

philosophical thinking in a mixing bowl...would you prefer scrambled with your bacon this morning sir?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    ...what was I thinking, hehe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_uV3cbUkRI

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Yeah I knew there'd be hell to pay, but it crossed my mind a little to late what was I thinkin'

2010 complete

1. started my long distance hike in Nov.

2. I lost my tent site while hanging my bear bag. It got dark while hanging the bag and I didn't have a flashlight, nor a jacket. It gets cold quickly in the mts in nov.

Went canoeind down little Schuylkill creek with my Dad. Water was to shallow at spots so my Dad was walking for a while. The sunset and it got dark and we had no flashlights. My Dad refused to go any farher downstream so we started walking back to one of the 2 cars we had. We walked back to the main road and my Dad called my Stepmom for a ride. Then he went crazy and was flagging down cars, panicking, ranting and raving. We got a ride back to one of the cars from my Stepmom. The other car was only 200 yards downstream from where my Dad quite hiking. That was the last time I would get in a boat with my Dad. And the first time I realised my Dad is insane. He is locked up in a psychiatric ward now. So the time I spent with him was important. And that was the worst canoeing trip ever.

Oh my, I don't know where to start; I've done so many stupid things. Lighting firecrackers in an old quarry while drinking with buddies. Some of the FC did not go off and were just over the edge of a 50' cliff, went to get them, lost balance and tumbled 50' to the bottom.

Took home some turkey day left overs and had been drinking again, put the plate of food in the oven and fell asleep. I woke up choking from smoke, opened oven and reached in to pull plate with bare hands not thinking and burned my hand. This is just a couple examples of stupidness. I have a lifetime of them

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

the dumbest thing i've ever done is admitting to my family that i'm bipolar, now they disown me, if you don't know that bipolar is you can see here psychological disorders list

Quote Originally Posted by q-tip View Post
    First backpacking trip--bought a 4-seaon tent-0 degree sleeping bag and an expedition pack--all good except I lived on Florida and it was June.......
    Well, you didn't want to die did you? Because that's what happens when people sleep outside: death!
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Dumbest thing I ever did was refuse to go to the doctor regarding a pretty bad ingrown toenail situation.

It was ingrown on both sides of the nail and my toe looked like hamburger meat for about a year.
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    imagine 11yrs old, large garage, can of gasoline and an M80....kaboom
    Almost got my butt tanned on more than one occasion for M80's and Cherry bombs. M80's, like a miniature stick of dynoooomittte.

And yes it was dumb. Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

At home once I cut up a bunch of hot peppers and then took a break for a wank, did not wash my hands , ouch !!

Let's see, so hard to pick the dumbest thing. I was on the last day of a trip, had just enough alcohol and water to make my freezer-bag meal. Set up my free standing tent, didn't stake it. Wind blows tent into my stove, spilling all the water and alcohol. Only good think is that it didn't burn a hole in my tent. So, I guess I was dumb, but lucky.

hung my food ONCE. never again. dumb

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Signing those mortgage papers might just have been the dumbest thing I've ever done...American dream my ass...
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Signing those mortgage papers might just have been the dumbest thing I've ever done...American dream my ass...
    How did you fair along the river? Flooding-wise?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    How did you fair along the river? Flooding-wise?
    The river cottage is doing great, love it here. The end of our street flooded a little, but are just a little higher up and much safer.

My previous comment was referring to my former money pit in Stamford.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

My dumbest hiking thing:

Bought a new rain jacket from Target. Went on a two day hike in weather I knew would be cold and rainy. 100% chance of rain.
    Thirty minutes into the hike, it was apparent that my brand new waterproof coat, was not. Froze all day. No backup rain gear for my new coat, everything soaked. Went to bed in my hammock cold, finally warmed up.
    Next day had to put on those wet blanket clothes and hike out in the rain. When I would drop my arms to my sides I would lose about a 1/4 cup of water from each sleeve.

Things I learned: don't trust your life to gear on the target clearance rack. Synthetic fleece undershirts WILL help you stay warm, even saturated with water (you heat the water as you walk). Having a nice shelter in rainy weather is very nice, as you watch your sodden clothes drip Water onto the ground. sleeping in wet underwear will dry them. Sleeping damp in down quilts makes you smell like a dead wet goose.

My dumbest non hiking thing? Not sure about that whole fifth amendment and state of limitations stuff, so I'll keep that quiet. And I never got a letter from Maury asking about a paternity test, so I guess I'm okay there too.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

start the AT as on ofe them purists.....
    Doing What You Like Is Freedom , Liking What You Do Is Happiness

Journal Entries
    Images

I've done my share of dumb self centered stuff hiking. Always caused by drinking. Usually in the making a mess department and long ago. Once the drinking stopped to dumb thoughtlessness stopped.

A couple years back when I was getting into long hikes, day hiked Katahdin in jeans and a cotton T shirt. Sure glad it didn't start raining up there. More recently I was PCT hanging a food bag and in my haste to get it up managed to loop the long end around the carabiner creating a really nice friction brake. The sinking feeling when you let go of the line and the bag remains tightly cinched to the top of the tree...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++