WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I'm interested in this too. Tried hiking a trail for the 2nd time yesterday, and I still think I took a 'wrong turn' somewhere. I'm having a hard time finding anyone familiar with this trail to discuss my route with, so reluctantly thinking about getting one of these devices, since I have found the gpx file for the trail, and currently have in on my laptop.
    Question: I'm thinking of one of the garmin units that you wear on your wrist, that can also give me distance and altitude (and time, obviously!). This seems like it would be the most convenient. Another factor I would think would be important would be if it's easy to change the battery out in the trail (I never wear watches, but, when I did, I remember I always had to find a Sears to take it to, to get the battery changed. Kinda hard to find a Sears out on the trail!)...
    What do y'all think? Are the "wrist" ones ok, or do you really need a handheld?

Journal Entries
    Images

08-11-2013 is the last date Gimmie Shelter has been on...

Seriously jefals and others... grab a app before you do the big deed of buying a dedicated gps ... here it is for android!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....android&hl=en
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    08-11-2013 is the last date Gimmie Shelter has been on...

Seriously jefals and others... grab a app before you do the big deed of buying a dedicated gps ... here it is for android!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....android&hl=en
    lol Thanks 4 the advice, Wise Owl, but that won't do me any good right now, cause the only android thing I have is a kindle fire -- and I sure ain't takin that along! I don't have a smart-phone or blackberry or anything like that...So, I do need to buy some kinda gizmo. But I agree, I wouldn't buy something that was just a gps -- also want it to give me altitude, temperature, time, distance traveled. This is not, btw, just for the AT, where I know I probably don't need it -- but other trails as well....., and hopefully one that I can wear on my wrist would work, so as to keep my hands free...

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I bought a Garmin Dakota 20, which I am not real happy with. First off, the only pre-installed maps were for highways. No small town roads at all. Get off the highway and its blank. Had to buy the topomap package for another $70.

Second, it's too small. Fits in the hand nicely, but the screen is so small you can't see any detail. And it's a real pain to pan around. Pretty much a waste of close to $300.

What I would want is a GPS with the same form factor and screen resolution as a smart phone. I guess they don't make one like that because you'd just go get a smart phone and be able to do everything else with it too. I'm going to get a 7" tablet with GPS and hope I can find some topomaps it can work with.
    thats what I'm think too - the galaxy note 3 is a 6 inch phablet and the camera is good enough to take pics of maps and store on the device.

I have been using Garmin GPS is for over 10 years. I know exclusively use Gaia GPS on my iPhone 6.
    I find it superior to the standalone GPS units in several ways - much higher resolution screen, much better map options available, superior user interface. Downsides are durability and battery life, which are easily solved by getting a quality waterproof case and carrying a small auxiliary battery and charging cable, and using the phone in airplane mode and turning the screen off when I don't need it.

Standalone GPS units will be pretty much dinosaurs in a few years, along with a lot of the other electronic gizmos (MP3 players, video recorders, voice dictation devices, etc.) that have all been replaced by apps for your smart phone.

And, if you still want to buy a GPS, I will happily sell you my last Garmin for cheap.

Bottom line: if you are a GPS power user, as in using it in cold or rainy weather, and continuously recording your track all day long for days on end, then you probably want to get a dedicated unit. But for anyone else, a $20 smart phone app will give you much of the same functionality has a $300 GPS, and beats the pants off and a lot of significant ways.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++