WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The best lesson I learned this past winter was having the right mittens is important. I started with an insulated mitten with a waterproof shell and a removable liner. The insulated shell part was too warm for 30 degree freezing rain but the liner wasn't waterproof. The result was that I sweated inside my mittens which Froze later. I now have (Thanks to Rocketsocks) a pair of Shell Mittens without Insulation and seperate liner mittens. The flexibility wasn't there the first time. It sucks putting clothing on to thaw the clothing.

You can pick your nose, and you can pick your friends, but you cant pick your friends nose....I dont know maybe you can...anyway, I suggest you weigh everything by item and see what you have weight wise and start from there and see what opportunities exist to reduce weight.

Images

Thank you for the suggestions and insight; I take it heavily (no pun intended, haha). I'll pack my winter gear. I've gotten so darn used to spring to fall hiking on short trips that I gravitated from needing to carry weight. I still won't be over 40pds with winter gear. I'll bring my winter gear! I prefer to be safe and comfy thank skimpy. I figured the temps will go between 40F and 90F from late august to the first week of October. This may turn into a thru hike, but may not. Will see. It is definitely planned for six weeks out at the very least. I live in PA, can pick up or have mailed additional clothing. thanks again.
    I am well again, I came to life in the cool winds and crystal waters of the mountains...

~ John Muir ~

On a short trip you can grin and bear it for a day or two if things get dicy, but on a long trip you do need to be prepared for the "worst case". In the mountains in the fall the weather can go from great to misserable in hours, then stay that way for days. If your far from home or a town when that happens, you can be in trouble.

You don't have to gear up for full on artic conditions for Sept through end of October, but you do need to be ready for sub-freezing temps and maybe even some high 20's early in the morning as you get into October. Thinking it will never get below 40 during that time is very wishful thinking...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    On a short trip you can grin and bear it for a day or two if things get dicy, but on a long trip you do need to be prepared for the "worst case". In the mountains in the fall the weather can go from great to misserable in hours, then stay that way for days. If your far from home or a town when that happens, you can be in trouble.

You don't have to gear up for full on artic conditions for Sept through end of October, but you do need to be ready for sub-freezing temps and maybe even some high 20's early in the morning as you get into October. Thinking it will never get below 40 during that time is very wishful thinking...
    True, you never know what might happen. Last spring was exceptionally hot, just the opposite this year. I started back at Hampton the last week of March to be greeted by a winter storm with heavy snow, single digit temps and 30 mph winds...winds were the worst of it, sucked the heat right out of you. I slept in a 20 degree bag I'd put an extra 4 oz of down in to get it to 15 degrees and a down jacket and long johns and stayed awake shivering all night. You can always unzip and hang a leg out if you have too much and you're hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Symba View Post
    I figured the temps will go between 40F and 90F from late august to the first week of October.
    Starting in Northern Maine. I doubt you see anywhere close to 90. You might have a couple of days with highs in the low 80s. However, going thru the Whites you might see 20.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Images

that's the info I was looking for, many thanks.
    I am well again, I came to life in the cool winds and crystal waters of the mountains...

~ John Muir ~

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Symba View Post
    GearList 2013 Hike (SOBO August 25ish)
    Osprey Atmos 65 Backpack
    Marmot 40degree mummy sleeping bag
    Merrell low hiker boots Moebs. (not 100% happy with these, awaiting a pair of Teva mid boots in the mail).
    OR gators, low style
    Leki hiking poles (just broke one of my super makalus I bought thirteen years ago, awaiting new pair in the mail)
    Socks: three pair smartwool hiking mids
    Shorts: one pair zip off leg Sportif, one NB runningshorts
    Shirts: AT wicking shirt, one Duofold, one Acclimate
    Rain Jacket: very light weight Red Ledge
    Bandanas (3) from ATC
    Pack Towel (old but works, cut in half)
    Tent: KeltyTeton 2 (stuffed into a Granit Gear compression sack)
    Sleep pad: Thermarest Z-Lite
    Stove: Pocket Rocket w/2L MSR pot w/lid (stove andfuel fit in pot) plus lexan spoon.
    Water: 2 nalgenes, 1 gatorade bottle, 1 Pur Katadyn filter pump
    Pack cover: Lowe Alpine (my old one)
    Camp/town shoes: Teva sandles.
    Pocket Knife & lighters.
    Med kit: meds needed to stay alive from doctor, compede bandages, Neosporin, ankle support wrap, bugspray, etc.
    Phone and solar charger (phone is also camera andmusic; off most of the time)
    Head Lamp: Princeton Tech
    Food: Ziploc of Gorp is constant as are waterflavorers.
    Five to seven days of rice/bean or such packets, Kindbrand bars (2 a day) Candy crapola.
    Updated Gear: Took into consideration comments. I'll only, yeah only, be out there for around six weeks, planned for two months. I switched out the 40 degree Marmot with a 20 degree flathead and decided instead of my Patagonia R4 fleece I'd take my pull over puffball; also have my OR fleece hat. Will not be bringing the solar charger. Instead I acquired an extra battery and the little wall outlet charger fits both my dumb phone and MP3/camera phone; freaking SIM card from my dumb phone won't work with the smart phone I have no service for; but just in case they both dial out 911 for free; bugs me that the SIM card from my dumb phone wouldn't work in the smart phone. I don't use phones much, hate talking on them. So, service isn't an issue for me. Apps are nice though, looked into them instead of a paper data and guide book I ripped in half and will take. Leaving behind the pack towel; no need when I have two bandanas. Instead of the original boots, Merrell Moebs, and after a month of wearing them, I decided to go with the mid Teva boots that are very light and seemingly awesome. Anyone have experiences with Teva boots?

~ John Muir ~

Images

BTW, i'll be out in the NE section from this Monday to no later than, i'm guessing, October 15th; for perspective on gear options taken.

~ John Muir ~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++