WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Fall section hike from Front Royal to Harper's Ferry

Hi all,
    I'll be heading up to Front Royal early october to hike into Harper's Ferry. Anyone want to join me? I put together a tentative hiking plan, but am open to other options....
    Day 1 Front Royal to Dick's Dome shelter
    Day 2 DD shelter to Bear's den Hostel
    Day 3 Bear's Den to Blackburn Center
    Day 4 Blackburn to Harper's Ferry

I realize that leaves a long second day and short 3 day, but my family is nervous about me being solo due to the missing female hiker from Tennessee.
    And I will take a warm dry place to sleep in exchange for sore feet anyday. Any advice on that section would be appreciated

I've actually been planning to SOBO that same section, since I'd take the train from DC to Harper's Ferry. But I could upend that. This would also be my first time on the Trail.
    Where do you plan to start on the trail, at I-66?

Images

Hopefully someone decides to join you on your hike, if for no other reason than to ease the fears at home.

Now with that being said , the itinerary you posted isn't ideal, mainly for the reasons you mentioned.
    Day 2 is at least 18 miles at first glance, which includes the coaster . If you're not familiar with the roller coaster, it's 13 miles of a continuous series of ups and downs that make for slow, not necessary hard ,but definitely slow hiking.

I would get slack packed (no pack minus water) for that 2nd day. Get the caretaker at Bear's Den to help you with this. 540.554.8708
    The rest of your trip looks fine , and Bears Den is must stay , ask about the hiker special .

At the Blackburn Trail Center they are good folks as well
    The best dinner on that section of the trail ,from word of mouth, with their spaghetti platter special .

The water should be in fine shape in those 53 miles . Note : the spring at David Lesser is a long walk and I'd get water before leaving Blackburn Trail Center.

Have you set up a shuttle from Harper's Ferry yet ? The Tea Horse Hostel gets great reviews for all hiker services.(304.535.6848 )
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

A proper quick, brave, steady, ready gentleman! ocourse's Avatar

PM sent, will get back to you soon.
    I've learned....
    That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.

thanks jbg! Funny you mentioned bear's den. i just sent them an email last nite about slacking me thru the southern section if I couldn't find hiking partners but they haven't got back to me. A little nervous about slacking solo because I didn't have cell service last week when I hiked the SNP. Must be a Verizon issue as my hiking partner had At&t with little trouble. I really appreciate you passing on the phone numbers for them and Tea Horse hostel; I'll call tomorrow.

I'm trying to figure out the dates but probably early October. Maybe that first weekend. I have a couple other hikers interested too. Let's keep in touch!

Great info JBG!
    Any recommendations on shuttles to or from the trail at Front Royal?
    Either at 522 or the interstate?
    Thanks!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MudDobber View Post
    Great info JBG! Any recommendations on shuttles to or from the trail at Front Royal? Either at 522 or the interstate?Thanks!
    Mike Evans, owner of Terrapin Station Front Royal Hostel . (540.539.0509 )-(540.631.0777) e-mail : [email protected]

Images

Laurel from Tea Horse Hostel took me directly to the trail head at 522. From there I went north like the OP intends.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

I am interested in hiking this section with you. Are you slackpacking the entire way? When in early October? I would be driving from the Knoxville TN area and obviously would have a vehicle to work the shuttle.

SH...I'm open to either backpacking or slacking. I don't have the map for that section yet, so I've been organizing the hike thru the Data guide and awol's book. The problem with I'm running into with slacking is the second day finding a road crossing and phone reception. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Images

The nearest road is Rt.50-Ashby Gap , 4 miles north of Dicks Dome. With additional hikers possibly joining you, light packing to the gap is what I'd do. Slackpack to Bears Den still the best option.

Images

We hiked most of that section this spring and summer (between 522 below Front Royal and Harpers Ferry). I have Verizon and others had Sprint. We had reception at some points and not at others - kind of comes and goes. Near routes 522 (Front Royal / Chester Gap), 55/I66 (Linden / Manassas Gap), 50 (Ashby Gap), 7 (Snicker's Gap), and 9 (Keyes Gap), you should have reception. Keyes Gap is a sometimes yes, sometimes no for me, but it's just a very short walk east to the Liberty gas station and I almost always have reception there. You're not totally without reception between the main roads, though - it's just not dependable. The roller coaster and for a ways on either end is also very rocky, so could be a distance factor for you. It stays varying degrees of rocky from the coaster to Harpers Ferry, with some stretches of actual dirt trail.

GASouthpaw: email me ([email protected]) to continue discussion & planning offline.

I'm also looking for a fall hike. Your hike would definitely fit my schedule. I am a 50+ thru-hiker from Maryland, north of Baltimore. Please keep me posted (here or PM) when you finalize your plans. This section hike could be a lot of fun. Johnnybgood is right about Day 2. The Roller Coaster would make for a very slow and very long day on the trail. If anybody else is planning a fall hike, please let me know. I'm open to any options.

Hey SD Kid I just sent you a PM. Have a couple other hikers interested and we are starting to plan the hike. Send me your email if you would like to be included.

I'm also looking to do a Virginia section this fall, so I might be interested in joining you. However, I always prefer walking for at least a week once I get going, so I'd have to arrange a separate shuttle. I still lack all of Virginia north of Marion/Atkins. I don't need much time to make final decsions either. I will e-mail you privately, gasouthpaw, with my e-mail address.

Default A few more days in the fall!

Ednotmilkman, Keep me updated (here or PM) on your plans for a fall hike. After hiking with gasouthpaw, I wouldn't mind a few more days on the trail. Sondance Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by ednotmilkman View Post
    I'm also looking to do a Virginia section this fall, so I might be interested in joining you. However, I always prefer walking for at least a week once I get going, so I'd have to arrange a separate shuttle. I still lack all of Virginia north of Marion/Atkins. I don't need much time to make final decsions either. I will e-mail you privately, gasouthpaw, with my e-mail address.

++ New Posts ++