WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Idiot hurt after sliding 200 feet on Mt Washington

Some yahoos decided to go off trail and tried to climb the slabs in Huntington Ravine on Mt Washington. One almost made it the top, but the other got stuck and then both decided to butt slide back down the slabs. One apparently made it down okay with only road rash on his butt, but the other lost control on the last 50 feet and did a face plant into boulders at the bottom. Besides smashing his face, he broke both arms and had to be air lifted out. This all happend about 3 pm lSaturday but it wasn't until early Sunday morning before they could get him out and air lifted to the hospital.

I sure hope they send him the bill!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Fun with toilet paper for the next few weeks...

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Some yahoos decided to go off trail and tried to climb the slabs in Huntington Ravine on Mt Washington. One almost made it the top, but the other got stuck and then both decided to butt slide back down the slabs. One apparently made it down okay with only road rash on his butt, but the other lost control on the last 50 feet and did a face plant into boulders at the bottom. Besides smashing his face, he broke both arms and had to be air lifted out. This all happend about 3 pm lSaturday but it wasn't until early Sunday morning before they could get him out and air lifted to the hospital.

I sure hope they send him the bill!
    Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    Fun with toilet paper for the next few weeks...
    Ha, Ha...that's what I was thinking

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Ha, Ha...that's what I was thinking
    Yeah...roommate rule #47 clearly states that if you can't wipe your own butt due to extreme dumbness, then skid marks you deserve.

People like that generally have a mother who is still doing this for them ! They certainly have not learned to think for themselves.

Sure wish there was a video of that face plant....sounds like fun....to watch.

Read about these guys. Hey there is a video floating around that shows the airlift of a guy up here. This may be the same guy.

Wow -- this thread seems mean-spirited in multiple ways.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    Yeah, I don't see celebrating this guy's misfortune.

One question I had, about conditions, though, was whether it was raining at the time this happened. It rained part of Saturday in that area, no?
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    And rightly so. This guys foolish actions required him to be lowered down a steep boulder field for 1000 feet, in the rain, at night just to get back onto a trail. This puts the SAR people at serious risk themselfs. He's lucky he didn't snap his neck or worse. The first responders where there at 7 PM and it took until 2 AM to get him out.

It didn't start to rain until after dark.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    And rightly so. This guys foolish actions required him to be lowered down a steep boulder field for 1000 feet, in the rain, at night just to get back onto a trail. This puts the SAR people at serious risk themselfs. He's lucky he didn't snap his neck or worse. The first responders where there at 7 PM and it took until 2 AM to get him out.
    Would you call Eric Honnold an idiot? How much do we know about this guy's skill level?
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    Would you call Eric Honnold an idiot? How much do we know about this guy's skill level?
    If I'm understanding the story correctly, and this guy knowingly and intentionally did what he did, I'd be more concerned with his mental level than his skill level.

We all do stupid things.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries

Default Idiot hurt after sliding 200 feet on Mt Washington

I was there assisting the rescue effort. From what I know the guy lost the trail and tried to climb out. Rain was not a issue until near the bottom on the grassy Sherborne Ski trail. It was a amazing effort by NH fish and game AMC volunteers and one AT thru hiker to get him down.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    If I'm understanding the story correctly, and this guy knowingly and intentionally did what he did, I'd be more concerned with his mental level than his skill level.
    After thinking, I must confess, I made this statement as an aged one....in my 20's I would have been the one that said "hey Bro, this 200' slide looks like fun, let's go for it".

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Many out there think they are invincible. ALL that Hollywood type superhero influence and gaming master stuff. Just glad to hear they survived. Can't put a price tag on that.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

a couple of dorks

Perhaps I was a bit harsh on the fellows. I have learned today that the Huntington ravine trail is considered one of/or the most dangerous in the Whites.

A freind of mine who has done pretty much every trail you can name in the Whites said he went up that way once (because he was hiking every trail you can name) and would never, ever do it again it was that scarry. The trail is primarly used to access the bottom of ice climbs in the ravine in the winter. It's that steep.

Apparently the two meet on the trail. A likely senario would be they got to where it started to get sketchy and instead of going back then, one of them said or just unconsiously thought "I think it would be easier this way" following a path of least resistance until it dead ended. Once into the boulder field, it is easy to go astray. And then find yourself stuck. Going up is one thing, going down is quite another.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 08-07-2013 at 22:10.

when i was a kid i broke my arm skateboarding, while it was in a cast... the day before i was supposed to get the cast off from the first time i broke my arm, while skateboarding. did i stop skateboarding? no, of course not. i loved it. evidence to the contrary, i was quite good. its what led me to take such stupid risks. what can i say, i was dumb

my mother tells my kids that story so often they know the details better than i remember them. she just about had a heart attack when one of them got a board, and seemed to be as good as i was. better probably, he still hasn't broke any bones, or had stitches (i had more than i could count by the time i was ten)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++