WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Facebook Group for Shenandoah NP Hikers

Interested in hiking within Shenandoah National Park? Come join the group created on Facebook
    Last edited by Blissful; 08-07-2013 at 20:09.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I don't do facebook.

With all the NSA crap going on, I avoid Facebook, etc., like the plague
    Cherokee Bill ..... previously known as "billyboy"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mtntopper View Post
    I don't do facebook.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee Bill View Post
    With all the NSA crap going on, I avoid Facebook, etc., like the plague
    Internet is internet.....
    Your here...... they know you..... get over it...... (then vote them all out)
    YOURSELF Find, Know, Be

click HERE to become rich!

Just exactly what is it that I am suppose to get over?

Journal Entries
    Images

If you don't do Facebook, don't join.

If you do, we're there.

Hiking Blog

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Wow...you caught the crappy attitudes right out of the gate.....Sorry about that....I'll see you on facebook.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Wow...you caught the crappy attitudes right out of the gate.....Sorry about that....I'll see you on facebook.
    Embrace the suck!!

I woke up early at 5am Tuesday the 6th for what seemed no real good reason. I thought about going foe a walk and watch the sunrise but didn't. Then I remembered an Old Rag. I checked the weather...pretty dismal. What the hell, I have a rain coat I decided. I spent too much time getting ready. left most of (too much) cash and my bank card at home and went for a 3.5 hour drive.
    The mtn. was covered in cloud.
    As I sat on top and finished my first gatorade and second Clif bar (the only food I had since the night before) the clouds dispersed. WOW, nice views with clouds at my eye level now. I got some great pics and better memories. I did the Old Rag Circuit Hike. I knew because of the weather I would be one of few and I was. As always, I brought a present. Flying Dog Imperial Porter I picked up in MD on the way down. Fantastic lunch and desert.
    I cant say enough how much fun I had on that hike. I was really hoping to see a bear and was happy to not find another rattlesnake as I am tired of finding them in PA (almost 20 so far this year).
    Some will complain that the fire road exit is boring. I say it was beautiful. Oh and the butterflies. Thousands, no kidding thousands of Tiger Swallowtail butterflys.
    I will be back! The weather next tuesday looks to be worse so maybe not then. Visibility before the clouds broke was 40 feet. Things were wet enough. I don't think I will try Old Rag in the rain as I don't own micro-spikes.
    Overall it took me 5 hours. Im not positive of the exact length because my iphone died at 8.5 miles (too many pics and videos taken). I think its about 10 miles and 2500 feet elevation gain and then lost. LOVED IT!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Stroll View Post
    I woke up early at 5am Tuesday the 6th for what seemed no real good reason. I thought about going foe a walk and watch the sunrise but didn't. Then I remembered an Old Rag. I checked the weather...pretty dismal. What the hell, I have a rain coat I decided. I spent too much time getting ready. left most of (too much) cash and my bank card at home and went for a 3.5 hour drive.
    The mtn. was covered in cloud.
    As I sat on top and finished my first gatorade and second Clif bar (the only food I had since the night before) the clouds dispersed. WOW, nice views with clouds at my eye level now. I got some great pics and better memories. I did the Old Rag Circuit Hike. I knew because of the weather I would be one of few and I was. As always, I brought a present. Flying Dog Imperial Porter I picked up in MD on the way down. Fantastic lunch and desert.
    I cant say enough how much fun I had on that hike. I was really hoping to see a bear and was happy to not find another rattlesnake as I am tired of finding them in PA (almost 20 so far this year).
    Some will complain that the fire road exit is boring. I say it was beautiful. Oh and the butterflies. Thousands, no kidding thousands of Tiger Swallowtail butterflys.
    I will be back! The weather next tuesday looks to be worse so maybe not then. Visibility before the clouds broke was 40 feet. Things were wet enough. I don't think I will try Old Rag in the rain as I don't own micro-spikes.
    Overall it took me 5 hours. Im not positive of the exact length because my iphone died at 8.5 miles (too many pics and videos taken). I think its about 10 miles and 2500 feet elevation gain and then lost. LOVED IT!

Great story. Glad you had a good hike.

Hiking Blog

++ New Posts ++