WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section Hiking with Kids

My kids and I have been section hiking several years and typically go for 7 days. In order to maximize our time on the trail we carried all 7 days worth of food. Now that we are farther away from home we are going out for 14 days and cannot carry all that much food. We are going to do mail drops and buy as we go both of which require going into town. Hiking in/out town can be time consuming depending upon the distance and I'm concerned about hitchhiking with them.

What have people done to resupply while hiking with kids (hitch or walk)?

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I hike with 3 of my 4 children and we usually do mail drops and or buy supplies in town. We rarely hitch to town given the size of our party but the trail passes close enough for a short road walk to make it feasible to get to a post office or grocery store in town. Many hostels, hotels and some stores will also hold packages for you.

Since my children are younger, my wife and I carry most of their food weight. This is heavy for the 9 to 10 days we are out hiking. We usually split that into one to two mail drops to help keep the weight down to a more manageable level.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

As you are picking a section to hike. Pick a section in which the trail goes relatively close to town/post office/grocessy store rather than one that requires hitchhiking for resupply.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Where are you hiking? If it's someplace we've been, I can let you know what I did with my grandson.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

++ New Posts ++