WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Printable Topos of GSMNP online?

I've heard the Trails Illustrated topo for the park blows. Are there any decent links to printable maps for Clingman to the NOC out there? I'll be hiking south starting 8/31 to 9/5. Thanks!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Is there any particular reason you need a topo map to follow the AT through GSMNP?

There are several references available to show the the topography of the AT itself through the park without the need to print a whole map.

You shouldn't need a map to follow the AT through GSMNP. The AT is the only trail that is blazed, and every official trail intersection has a sign to keep people from getting lost in the GSMNP back country. The most you should need to avoid getting lost is the GSMNP trail map.

The trails illustrated map is fine for navigation. Must have been user error from whomever told you. The elevation profile in the AWOL guide is better.

Google free topo maps to print. The first site is digitaltopo (something like that) the problem is that the older US Geological Survey maps only have some trails.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Is there any particular reason you need a topo map to follow the AT through GSMNP?
    Estimate distances to sightseeing opportunities, pretty much. I'm not planning on getting lost

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha_Ace View Post
    Estimate distances to sightseeing opportunities, pretty much. I'm not planning on getting lost
    While it doesn't provide details, the GSMNP trial map gives you distances of the various trail segments.
    http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/maps.htm

Otherwise, your best source of information along those lines (at least for research ahead of time) would be Google Earth and downloading the GPS information available at UTK. They have kmz files for camp sites, trails, and points of interest.
    http://web.eecs.utk.edu/~dunigan/gsmnp/

Images

i think between the "dollar map" and the brown book---that contains all the info ya really need...

dollar map is easy to follow and see mileage.........and brown book has elevation profiles, along with confirming mileage...........

I'm using the Nat. Geo map, two pages from the AT guide, and copies of the applicable pages from the brown book for my Labor Day weekend hike from Clingman's to Fontana Dam. I like lots of info!

G4maps makes nice printed maps, from several different sources.

A good starting point: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap...=&coord=latlng

When you get zoomed in closer to your destination, change the menu in the upper right to the topo source you want. Use print preview in your browser to setup printing.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    I'm using the Nat. Geo map, two pages from the AT guide, and copies of the applicable pages from the brown book for my Labor Day weekend hike from Clingman's to Fontana Dam. I like lots of info!
    We're going to cross each other at some point!

++ New Posts ++