WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I think I'd prefer to do the ride into Damascus itself since we're familiar with it's place in AT lore....unless the Whitetop Station attraction is very much superior....any preference?
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    I'm feeling almost 100% now... yay!! I ran today for the first time... it felt lil different but still good.
    That's wonderful....I can't run even when I'm not dizzy!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Ride the creeper trail? In or on what?

My overall VA thoughts so far are:

visit Damascus & do something interesting in that area
    Grayson SP/Massie Gap....either a 1 day there & back to Thomas Knob Shelter w/ possible inclusion of Mt. Rogers peak
    Roanoke area triple crown: McAfee Knob, Dragon's Tooth, Tinker Cliffs (preferably day hikes): The Homeplace
    Shenandoah....some easy hiking with accessibles

additional: Foamhenge, Luray Caverns, Natural Bridge, Monticello

These are just some ideas of AT sites and hikes and educational attractions....and fun. Anyone is free to add. suggestions. I have to get the itinerary and budget set in the next 2 weeks (or so)
    i work here http://www.adventuredamascus.com/

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    Several trips would be is fine with me. HM said she was paying for it all anyways. Right mom? Ha Ha
    I'll try to keep my options open. We've got to snip off that 23 miles which we can crush out in a day if we had to and cram our visit into a traditional weekend. The Labor Day weekend gives us an extra day to stay and play without the stress of driving down the night before and leaving late the last day.

That said, our daughter's broken toe must be fully healed before we can do it anyway so it might get bumped to later. We'll see! I'll keep everyone posted so if there's a chance we could get together, even if it's just for pizza and a brew at the BB or something, we can still make it happen.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Me too FC....you're on that list !!! HM, DH....what about gathering all these folks? One trip to the Homeplace or several?

oh FC....but we can't make it on labor day weekend....but we're also willing to come your way. I want to hike down into Harper's Ferry from VA and finish WV, so if you're available to join or just get together we'd be game.
    We'd love to join you for a dayhike to finish WV (really all you need) or a weekend overnighter if the timing is right. I'm active in the scouts (cub master, den leader) so my weekends get planned way in advance. Let me know what you're thinking of and I'll try to carve out some space. Even if it won't work to camp, we'd gladly come on out to meet you. There's great ice cream to be had in HF.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    I'll try to keep my options open. We've got to snip off that 23 miles which we can crush out in a day if we had to and cram our visit into a traditional weekend. The Labor Day weekend gives us an extra day to stay and play without the stress of driving down the night before and leaving late the last day.

That said, our daughter's broken toe must be fully healed before we can do it anyway so it might get bumped to later. We'll see! I'll keep everyone posted so if there's a chance we could get together, even if it's just for pizza and a brew at the BB or something, we can still make it happen.
    our daughter's broken toe must be fully healed Ouch, I hope it heals up ok

I'll keep everyone posted so if there's a chance we could get together, even if it's just for pizza and a brew at the BB or something, we can still make it happen. Wherever or whenever is fine with me. Just happy to meet some of my fellow WB'ers

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Thank You....I was rather hoping that we'd meet up ....when we get our plans solidified I'll let you know when we'll be in your neighborhood...perhaps ?

Journal Entries
    Images

Ok...we've done some date crunching and only one thing is set so far. Snacktime and I will be heading out on Mon 9/16 and arriving at HM's on 9/18...beyond that nothing is yet planned. So if that helps anyone plan their stuff, there it is.

FC...Snacktime and I will be in the area for a couple of weeks....we could do weekend or weekday hikes...whatever your schedule allows. I think the dayhike to WV would be the best plan personally, but we're flexible.

DH & HM....I've heard the Homeplace is only open certain days....we'll obviously need to plan our hikes accordingly!
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 08-06-2013 at 22:00.

Ok...we've done some date crunching and only one thing is set so far. Snacktime and I will be heading out on Mon 9/16 and arriving at HM's on 9/18...beyond that nothing is yet planned. So if that helps anyone plan their stuff, there it is.

FC...Snacktime and I will be in the area for a couple of weeks....we could do weekend or weekday hikes...whatever your schedule allows. I think the dayhike to WV would be the best plan personally, but we're flexible.

DH & HM....I've heard the Homeplace is only open certain days....we'll obviously need to plan our hikes accordingly!
    Hey T&S... just jumping on here real quick on my way to bed. So tired! Yes, Homeplace is open Thurs-Sunday only. Thurs-Saturday evening 4-8 Sundays 11-6. I'll talk to you tomorrow. Have a great night!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++