WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Me too FC....you're on that list !!! HM, DH....what about gathering all these folks? One trip to the Homeplace or several?

oh FC....but we can't make it on labor day weekend....but we're also willing to come your way. I want to hike down into Harper's Ferry from VA and finish WV, so if you're available to join or just get together we'd be game.
    Several trips would be is fine with me. HM said she was paying for it all anyways. Right mom? Ha Ha

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Snacktime and I have still not stayed in a shelter....but the weather may be an issue. So I'm not sure if this will be a day trip or an overnight. If it's an overnight, then we will likely include the Mt. Roger's climb. Just not sure, but we'll bring what we need for either and decide when we get there.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    Several trips would be is fine with me. HM said she was paying for it all anyways. Right mom? Ha Ha
    I could cover it....I've got all this speeding ticket money the guys in the photo above gave me....oh wait...I'm supposed to actually pay the ticket with that, and within 30 days.....NEVERMIND
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Hey Guys! Hope you liked the pics! The Creeper Trail extends from White Top Station all the way to Abingdon VA. The half-way point is Damascus. From White Top Station, where we stayed (although Damascus is the better spot and more central to eats, outfitters etc.) to Damascus the bike trip is 17 miles of very gradual downhill. Its really neat because you don't even half to pedal There are creeks to swim in, sights to see and places to get good home cooking. $26.00 gets you a bike for the day, a shuttle trip to the top and a return shuttle to your car if needed. The Creeper was named after the slow moving train and the tracks that it traveled through the mountains of VA. These track beds are what comprise the trail that you ride on the bikes. Super low impact on the body, super way to spend the day!

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Hiker who stayed there one night after me had video of the ponies coming right up and placing their heads in the shelter. Really nice shelter with a ladder up to the second floor.
    Hey Astro!!

Quote Originally Posted by tbird911 View Post
    Hey Guys! Hope you liked the pics! The Creeper Trail extends from White Top Station all the way to Abingdon VA. The half-way point is Damascus. From White Top Station, where we stayed (although Damascus is the better spot and more central to eats, outfitters etc.) to Damascus the bike trip is 17 miles of very gradual downhill. Its really neat because you don't even half to pedal There are creeks to swim in, sights to see and places to get good home cooking. $26.00 gets you a bike for the day, a shuttle trip to the top and a return shuttle to your car if needed. The Creeper was named after the slow moving train and the tracks that it traveled through the mountains of VA. These track beds are what comprise the trail that you ride on the bikes. Super low impact on the body, super way to spend the day!
    This sounds perfect! Not even Snacktime could object to one continuous downhill! Does it still run in sept and is the swimming still good? Thanks so much! Care to come along for the ride? The kids can meet their doubles!

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    OK sure!!

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    OK sure!!
    No Chance Lance! Mom has Drs to pay for! Besides....NOBODY can afford to feed Snacktime!

Mid September sounds good to me... Teach, you can show up at my doorstep,we can look at the weather and figure it all out. It's true about the downhill bike ride. It's so fun!! It will still be warm to swim in the water too.

Your journal is amazing btw... I left you a comment!
    Last edited by HikerMom58; 08-05-2013 at 22:31.

No Chance Lance! Mom has Drs to pay for! Besides....NOBODY can afford to feed Snacktime!
    NO Problem!! We can work it all out! It will be fun!! Ha ha!! HomePlace is all you can eat... it's the BEST!

Mid September sounds good to me... Teach, you can show up at my doorstep,we can look at the weather and figure it all out. It's true about the downhill bike ride. It's so fun!! It will still be warm to swim in the water too.
    Excellent. You and I were originally talking around the 8th....I have to check and see if that will still fly. I'll leave our itinerary open-ended and just kick us out of the state when we become a nuisance!

I figured it was worth a shot.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

NO Problem!! We can work it all out! It will be fun!! Ha ha!! HomePlace is all you can eat... it's the BEST!

I can taste the roast beef already!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Hey, then maybe we CAN fill Snacktime up!

Excellent. You and I were originally talking around the 8th....I have to check and see if that will still fly. I'll leave our itinerary open-ended and just kick us out of the state when we become a nuisance!
    You won't become a nuisance & it sounds good. I'll be here.

Hey, then maybe we CAN fill Snacktime up!
    Oh yes, that won't be a problem at all....

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Hiker who stayed there one night after me had video of the ponies coming right up and placing their heads in the shelter. Really nice shelter with a ladder up to the second floor.
    Astro, good to see you here posting.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Oh yes, that won't be a problem at all....
    He's at the feeding-frenzy stage of a growth spurt right now and filling out. He's about 5'5" now, but if he shoots up before we get there he might be nearer to 6ft! So much for the "little boy" I've been hiking with!

I need to pm you for some relevant info....read or respond at leisure, when you're up to it.

This sounds perfect! Not even Snacktime could object to one continuous downhill! Does it still run in sept and is the swimming still good? Thanks so much! Care to come along for the ride? The kids can meet their doubles!
    I'm pretty sure it runs year round or at least most of the year. Swimming will be good but you better be a polar bear ....lol. if you decide to stay in Whitetop Station (35 minutes or so from major eats/Damascus) let me know and I can suggest a rental house right at the entrance to the creeper. Cool thing is it has two bedrooms , hammocks on the screened in back porch and in the back yard and an additional out building with a single bed and set of bunk beds. Should be enough for a gaggle of people and very affordable also pet friendly and great folks. There is a little country store up the road a mile or two with anything you could want and some of the best biscuits and gravy!

He's at the feeding-frenzy stage of a growth spurt right now and filling out. He's about 5'5" now, but if he shoots up before we get there he might be nearer to 6ft! So much for the "little boy" I've been hiking with!

I need to pm you for some relevant info....read or respond at leisure, when you're up to it.
    I'm feeling almost 100% now... yay!! I ran today for the first time... it felt lil different but still good.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++