WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Short Fox View Post
    I want to hike the AT because I'm tired of being in boxes. Our climate controlled homes, our climate controlled cars, our climate controlled stores, etc. We place something between us and the outdoors for most of our time it seems. The only "box" I want to be in is a tent at night. I want to know what it's like out there for an extended amount of time without escaping. I've camped and hiked before but it wasn't long enough. My dad always got us outside and on little day hike trails and out to the lake to sit at a picnic table and my greatest memories are those. Being outside and seeing farther than 10 feet. Seeing a view that's captivating. Opening a tent door in the morning to see the fog or sunrise. The greatest panting on the planet is the planet and I want to be in it. I want a different kind of stress. The stress of being cold, wet, tired, sore, hungry, and more. I want to learn what it's like to have only what you're wearing and what's on your back. I want to be anal expulsive instead of anal retentive. I want more with less. It's been my only dream to hike the AT. I didn't even care to go to college, it was just something expected. I want to live. I WANT to hike.
    Man, you got it bad...and that ain't good. Best of luck!

^ Awesome post! Get out there and live!

Sent from somewhere in the woods.

Because it's there. What other reason would I need.

Cvt
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

I'm planning to hike the AT in 2014 because I want to do something that's completely different from how I've lived so far and to experience things I otherwise would not. If I decide to put it off like a majority of people than I may never do it or not do it until I retire (which is way too long). I cant wait!

Because the AT experience is just plain awesome! Peaceful yet challenging!

For the babes............duh.

Images

I just wanted to say that I love the fact that people are still replying to this thread many months after I made it.

I feel like my desire to thru-hike the AT has taken a whole new dimension this last half year. I'm no longer happy with my job and I just had a bit of a falling out of a relationship not too long ago. I feel like I am now wanting to hike the AT to rediscover life and discover what I truly want out of it.

But this isn't about me. I hope to hear even more people's reasons for thru-hiking the AT!

I'm hiking to give myself time to figure out what I want to do next. That's one reason anyway

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by JeffBliss View Post
    I just wanted to say that I love the fact that people are still replying to this thread many months after I made it.

I feel like my desire to thru-hike the AT has taken a whole new dimension this last half year. I'm no longer happy with my job and I just had a bit of a falling out of a relationship not too long ago. I feel like I am now wanting to hike the AT to rediscover life and discover what I truly want out of it.

But this isn't about me. I hope to hear even more people's reasons for thru-hiking the AT!

Hi Jeff I think you bring up a good point, about the evolving reasons for hiking the AT. I wouldn't be surprised if for a lot of us, our reasons change as we hike along. It's possible by the end of the trail we will be hiking for completely different reasons than we started with.

I've backpacked since the early '60s when I was a kid, but never did anything longer than a week or two at most, but I loved it. In retirement, a week on the Wonderland trail around Mt. Rainier in 2007, gave me the feeling of equilibrium I needed when looking for a new way to be in life. In 2010, I started the PCT with the plan of just hiking 5 weeks in the deserts. I couldn't stop. Trail life, the daily beauty and exertion and especially the wonderful folks on trail made it clear that I couldn't stop, and before the summer was over, I stepped into Canada and had found a way of life that is more bone marrow right than any I've ever experienced before. We were nomads for several million years and only settled down to farming for the past few thousand. The deep rightness of life on trail was simply too good to let go of.

In 2012, I set out on the CDT and again found a peace in the wilds of America I've never come upon anywhere else. Mountains and storms and snow and river crossings, the magnificence of panicked wild mustangs rearing in a silhouette of lightening flash or the simple beauty of the sun rising through a screen of tall grass, all only deepened my love of life on trail. So beginning the Appalachian Trail is inevitable. I've come to love each of the ecosystems I've hiked through, and being a Westerner, the Eastern Forest is the only one I have not yet come to know. I've only day hiked in the Eastern mountains so far and I'm looking forward to life in the Appalachians.

I'm not very goal oriented when it comes to hiking. I just like being out there. If you love the day to day life on trail, the end point, be it Canada or Katahdin becomes inevitable. Point yourself north and start walking and you can't miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Shroomer View Post
    I've backpacked since the early '60s when I was a kid, but never did anything longer than a week or two at most, but I loved it. In retirement, a week on the Wonderland trail around Mt. Rainier in 2007, gave me the feeling of equilibrium I needed when looking for a new way to be in life. In 2010, I started the PCT with the plan of just hiking 5 weeks in the deserts. I couldn't stop. Trail life, the daily beauty and exertion and especially the wonderful folks on trail made it clear that I couldn't stop, and before the summer was over, I stepped into Canada and had found a way of life that is more bone marrow right than any I've ever experienced before. We were nomads for several million years and only settled down to farming for the past few thousand. The deep rightness of life on trail was simply too good to let go of.

In 2012, I set out on the CDT and again found a peace in the wilds of America I've never come upon anywhere else. Mountains and storms and snow and river crossings, the magnificence of panicked wild mustangs rearing in a silhouette of lightening flash or the simple beauty of the sun rising through a screen of tall grass, all only deepened my love of life on trail. So beginning the Appalachian Trail is inevitable. I've come to love each of the ecosystems I've hiked through, and being a Westerner, the Eastern Forest is the only one I have not yet come to know. I've only day hiked in the Eastern mountains so far and I'm looking forward to life in the Appalachians.

I'm not very goal oriented when it comes to hiking. I just like being out there. If you love the day to day life on trail, the end point, be it Canada or Katahdin becomes inevitable. Point yourself north and start walking and you can't miss.
    Wow, beautifully said When are you planning on heading out?

Hey Autummyst.

I love the thread you've started. There are so many good reasons for hiking a long trail and the answers you're getting are great. You're gonna love it.

At this point I'm looking at a mid-March start. We hiked for 5 weeks on snow in the High Sierra on the PCT and for weeks in the San Juans on the CDT, and although it is without question the hardest hiking I've ever done, it is also by far some of the best times I've had on trail. So, mid-March may bring me into some snow, but not as much as the Snowbirds starting in February. I'm hunting for a middle ground here, some snow, but weather that is starting to warm with spring so close at hand. I hope to meet you on trail.

I thruhiked in 2013 and still can't answer WHY I did it. I am glad I did though.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by Shroomer View Post
    Hey Autummyst.

I love the thread you've started. There are so many good reasons for hiking a long trail and the answers you're getting are great. You're gonna love it.

At this point I'm looking at a mid-March start. We hiked for 5 weeks on snow in the High Sierra on the PCT and for weeks in the San Juans on the CDT, and although it is without question the hardest hiking I've ever done, it is also by far some of the best times I've had on trail. So, mid-March may bring me into some snow, but not as much as the Snowbirds starting in February. I'm hunting for a middle ground here, some snow, but weather that is starting to warm with spring so close at hand. I hope to meet you on trail.
    I can't take credit for starting the thread It was Jeffbliss that started it! But I have enjoyed following it as well, Shroomer. I love winter hiking/camping. My husband and I are from CT. We are leaving mid-feb for a few reasons, one of which is we are looking forward to being out in the end of winter. Since you are most likely a strong hiker with all of your experience, I wouldn't be surprised if you caught up to us. We will be taking it slowly at first to give our bodies time to adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I thruhiked in 2013 and still can't answer WHY I did it. I am glad I did though.
    I enjoyed following your trailjournal Chinmusic! Your summit video is one of the ones that moved me.

Quote Originally Posted by Autummyst View Post
    I can't take credit for starting the thread It was Jeffbliss that started it! But I have enjoyed following it as well, Shroomer. I love winter hiking/camping. My husband and I are from CT. We are leaving mid-feb for a few reasons, one of which is we are looking forward to being out in the end of winter. Since you are most likely a strong hiker with all of your experience, I wouldn't be surprised if you caught up to us. We will be taking it slowly at first to give our bodies time to adjust.
    Thanks for squaring me away on who started the thread, and sorry Jeffbliss. It's a good thread.

Starting slowly is a great idea. I've seen so many people quickly sidelined because of injuries in the first several weeks. I train hard before setting out, 15 to 20 miles per day with 3 to 4,000 vertical climbs and descents, 2 to 3 times per week with shorter hikes in between. I lead a whole bunch of thru hikers and thru hikers to be on training hikes up our local Mount Diablo in the SF Bay Area. But then I always throttle back to 10 to 12 miles per day the first week on trail, 15 to 17 or so the second and don't let myself break 20 till my third week. Hiking everyday is physically different from hiking several times per week and even with the months of training, I still have a break in period, a time to get my thru legs.

But hell, I'm old and have to be a bit more careful about injuries. I'm sure you'll be blasting out some real miles soon enough. If I see you on trail, all the better. And have a wonderful time in February. No kidding, the time in the snow was always the most beautiful, the most difficult, the most fun and simply the best of the entire hike. Hook up with some others and you'll forge friendships that will last for years!

I long distance hike to get lost and found - lose and find - simultaneously.

I'm hiking because it is three only thing I've thought of for the past 2 years.
    I know I have to.
    The thought of just being out there makes me tear up with joy.
    I need to complete something hard.
    I love hiking.
    I love outdoors.
    I need to meet people with similar interests.
    I need to find something to do with my life.
    I need a further calling and as of now, the only thing I'm called to do every day is love on people and to hike.
    I'm hiking the Appalachian trail because I need it. In the deepest depths of my mind, soul, and sanity, I need it.

Here's a link to my blog where I list my seven reasons for thru hiking.
    See you on the trail in March ladies and gents!
    http://zachbarger.wordpress.com/2013...lachian-trail/

I want to hike the AT because nothing can hold me back. I can explore the world if I want to - so I am going to get out there! And by exploring the world I mean to get in touch with the world itself: rain, wind, cold. By exploring the world I mean to get in touch with all the different kind of people. By exploring the world I mean to get to know myself, as I am part of this world. I want to take in as much expriences as I can!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++