WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pack size for short trips (1-4 nights)

I'm an avid day hiker but new to backpacking. I have been doing research for months and am slowly acquiring gear.

I plan to start with some overnight/weekend trips and work my way up to longer trips. That being said, could I get by with a smaller pack for short trips (35-50L)? Or should I just go ahead and buy a large pack (60-65L)? I'm mainly asking because money is tight and I know smaller packs are cheaper. However, I have no idea if I'll be able to fit everything into a smaller pack. Since I've never done this before, I have no real sense of what different size packs will hold. I'm not trying to go UL, but still paying mind to overall pack weight.

Thoughts?

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

completely depends on the type of trip you will be undertaking and the time of year you will be going. i often take a 1500 cubic inch camelbak for a 1-4 night trip in the summer. for the same trip in the winter (defined by me as snow on ground and in the teens or below at night) I need 2500-3000 cubic inches.

Since it sounds like you are fairly new to this, I would go with a 3000 cubic inch (or so) pack. That will be versatile enough for many types of trips. 60-65 L is way overkill unless you are spending multiple nights in the bush without resupply. I spent 23 days in alaska without resupply with a 55 L pack.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

I use a 60 liter on 3 day trips and am very good at filling it! That being said, the wisdom on here is to buy a smaller pack and force yourself to make good decisions on what you really need to take.

Images

Since you are in the DC area, I would suggest maybe to find an REI nearby that has rental gear, and give both size ranges a weekend to see how you do.

Thanks!

Nam, my closest REI does rent gear, so that's an excellent suggestion.

I do have a goal of thru-hiking the AT sometime soon (hopefully within the next 3-4yrs), but I'll probably be looking at a new pack for that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Que Sera:1504934
    Thanks!

Nam, my closest REI does rent gear, so that's an excellent suggestion.

I do have a goal of thru-hiking the AT sometime soon (hopefully within the next 3-4yrs), but I'll probably be looking at a new pack for that anyway.
    Don't forget the cottage manufactures like ULA, ZPacks. The ULA circuit is a great pack.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Two basic comments:

1. The size pack you'll eventually need depends upon the types of loads you plan to carry.
    As a personal example, my hiking style requires a base pack weight of about 25-30lbs for a weekend trip. A co-worker for the same duration trip has a base pack weight closer to 10lbs. As a result, the packs we carry are vastly different.

2. Try to avoid buying gear twice.
    Why bother spending about $130 on a 45L pack only to later spend another $190 on a 65L pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Don't forget the cottage manufactures like ULA, ZPacks. The ULA circuit is a great pack.
    I have been giving ULA packs a hard look.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Two basic comments:

1. The size pack you'll eventually need depends upon the types of loads you plan to carry.
    As a personal example, my hiking style requires a base pack weight of about 25-30lbs for a weekend trip. A co-worker for the same duration trip has a base pack weight closer to 10lbs. As a result, the packs we carry are vastly different.

2. Try to avoid buying gear twice.
    Why bother spending about $130 on a 45L pack only to later spend another $190 on a 65L pack.
    You raise a good point about having to buy gear twice. That's one of the primary reasons I asked here.

New REI in NoVa I forget where

I go to the one in Rockville .

It may be counter-intuitive, but weekenders often carry bigger loads than long-distance backpackers (hence the term weekend warrior). The reason is that you may be willing and able to carry a heavy pack for a few days and enjoy the creature comforts you my bring. But when you need to carry it for weeks or months at a time, there is a greater incentive to be be very aggressive about cutting back on your pack weight and doing without those creature comforts. I'm kind of a reformed weekend warrior, currently on hiatus as I do a complete overhaul of my gear. My strategy is to shop as I would for a long-distance thru hike, being a light as reasonable for me. Then, even if I only do section/weekend hikes, in theory, this same kit should also work with relatively minor modifications based on the specifics of that hike.

Many have recommended ULA, but I am eying the Elemental Horizon packs. This is probably the direction I will go.
    http://www.elementalhorizons.com/packs.aspx

Images

Calling yourself reformed implies you were doing something immoral! lol

You are right, though, that we tend to carry more on weekend trips than we would if we were going a week or longer. For example, I carry a bottle of hooch and my Helinox chair on my 3 day trips. As I will not have time in the next 15-20 years to do anything longer than a few days, I just load it up and enjoy my short trips!

I definitely see how weekend hikers could be inclined to carry more, but ideally I'd like to get in the habit of carrying as little as possible, in preparation for longer hikes. Although it might be more comfortable at first, I don't want to get used to having all those creature comforts I might have to forgo on longer trips.

Images

I carry my ULA CDT on most of my short hikes! Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

My pack is a 65L, I've yet to have the top collar fully extended with the brain on top holding it all together, but should I require it, it's there. That's about a 8"x 13" Dia. and pretty much the difference between a 65L and a 50 something Liter pack. So again when not in use, it's just folded over. All that said it does add a little weight to your pack to go this route.

Oh, weekend warrior/section hiker here

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    I carry my ULA CDT on most of my short hikes! Maddog
    That's a good size for weekend trips. Big enough that you don't have to leave too much home and not so big that your tempeted to take everything you own - just in case.

For an overnighter in mid summer with good weather, I can get away with a daypack load. There isn't much room left for food, which limits it to an overnighter.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Isn't a thru hike just a bunch of 3 or4 day hikes strung together?

Quote Originally Posted by TroutknuT View Post
    yep, approximately 500

Quote Originally Posted by TroutknuT View Post
    Absolutely, on the AT. There are other trails, though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++