WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sawyer Squeeze Filter

I tried out my new Sawyer Squeeze filter while hiking in the 100 mile wilderness. I only brought my 1 liter squeeze bag and the 16 ounce bag for a back up. I squeezed water several times a day for me and my nephew. The filter worked great. It was pretty quick. On day 4 of the hike, much like the reviews, the 1 liter bag sprung a leak near the top where the bag meets the hard plastic opening. Knowing this was a weakness of the filter, I had the 16 ounce bag as a back up. I honestly felt I was babying the bags a little bit up to this point. I think I must have twisted or squeezed the bag too hard resulting in the leak. I tried to use one of my Platypus bags as my "squeeze" bag, but for some reason I could not get it to seal well enough to squeeze water without leaks. (I repeated this at home and made a seal fine, so I must have cross threaded or done something wrong in the woods). OK, so to the point of my post. I emailed Sawyer and to date have not heard any response from them. I went on their site and found the link to order 3 more 1 liter bags. I believe they have made improvements to the bags. When they arrived, I inspected them, and they look and feel almost like Platypus bags. I have not field tested them, but it looks like they knew their product had a weakness and they must have addressed it. The new bags look like they may last a lot longer and be more durable. I was curious if anyone else has tried them and found this to be the case.

Lastly, when I hiked, I left the caps to the bags at home, thinking, "Why would I need a cap if I am going to be just putting the filter on the water and squeezing it into another container." Well, I would recommend bringing the caps so you can carry extra water to camp. I found between cooking at night and rehydrating, I would drink all my water, and then have to walk back to the water source in the morning to fill up for the day. Had I brought the caps, I could have filtered two liters into my platypus bags for camp, and carried two more containers of unfiltered water that I could filter in the morning for breakfast or to start hiking. It would have been more convenient and a time saver. (Stupid gram weenie! Are you kidding me, you left the caps to save weight!? Yes I did--Inner dialogue)

All in all I give the Sawer Squeeze filter thumbs up. It was much faster than Aqua Mirra, which can be a treat on a hot day when you are low on water. If the new bags are more durable, as they appear, I don't see any reason to use aqua mirra again.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Images

Were you squeezing or rolling? Even though the name of the product suggests that you should squeeze, it seems their bladders don't like it. I don't believe I've seen more than one failure from people that roll.

The new bladders are 3/4ths blue on the front. It sounds like you have the new bladders, but this is another way to confirm.

Platypus bladders don't work because a few years ago Platypus significantly changed the thread pitch. You can sort of manage to make it seal, but it doesn't work well and isn't worth the risk if you can avoid it.

The Sawyer threads are the same as regular soda bottles, so you can use soda bottles as a backup bladder. You can also use soda bottle caps if you lose your Sawyer caps.

Evernew bladders are also compatible. The nice thing about them is that the lid is attached to the bladder with a lanyard, so you're not likely to lose it.

For those who purchased a squeeze, Evernew bladders do work- for those who haven't- I picked up the one with the quick disconnects. I bought a few extra fittings and have options to use all my existing Platy bladders. I put one QD set on the line to turn a single bladder into an inline filter. Most of the time though I use an old hose to connect my 4l tank as a gravity system. The tank is easy to fill and hang with a three foot piece of cord and a mini biner to set up a gravity feed. 4l tank, 3l bladder, sawyer, and all hoses and fittings comes out to a hair under 11 oz- and I can carry almost two gallons of water to make a dry camp. http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-3-Way-I...ef=pd_sim_lg_1

In fact, YES, platy bags do work! I purchased both my platy bag and my squeeze last year for a SOBO thru...I'm not sure why, but yes, the threads have to be aligned PERFECTLY! My mylar bag sprung a leak in the 100mile wilderness and was useless in NH. I ended up using my platy bag the rest of the way to Springer. Also, if you have an UL micro d-ring/carabiner, pop that puppy on the end of the platy bag. It essentially gives you a gravity filter (which is SO nice when setting up camp...just find a spot to hang it and let it flow while you're making your home). You can use soda bottles as well, but I prefer gatorade bottles for clean water (because of the wide-mouth..this also helps when gravity filtering 'cause the whole filter portion can rest inside the bottle). Honestly, there's been so many threads about these bags, if anyone is interested in the sawyer squeeze (it IS an awesome filter), just go ahead and buy a more rugged bag from the get-go.

Interesting 2 people had Sawyer bag failure on the 100 mile wilderness streach?

Anyways, in your post(s) please tell us if the failures are in the old bag or the new bag......this would make your posts ever so more useful.

Images

I think almost everyone who has had a squeeze has made the mistake of not opening the valve before they start squeezing. I think it's a learning curve because surprisingly all my replacement bags never leak

Many of the Rocketengineers at BPL seemed to conclude that the sawyer's resistance to flow when dry was the culprit. I found even on my system I had to occasionally suck on it (go ahead start the jokes) to start the siphon when in gravity mode. Some other folks reported the same with the Squeeze- if you suck to start the flow, then squeeze, you won't bust your bag. I chose to skip the whole mess- when I want quickie water I use a steri-pen, when I'm on a longer or group trip- the sawyer is hands down the best gravity filter on the market. As mentioned, Platy bags work- and an easy "better safe than sorry" upgrade.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kidchill View Post
    In fact, YES, platy bags do work! I purchased both my platy bag and my squeeze last year for a SOBO thru...I'm not sure why, but yes, the threads have to be aligned PERFECTLY!

The threads cannot align perfectly because you cannot change the thread pitch. Telling people it works is reckless.

I do appreciate that you're trying to share your workaround though. It relies on a few things.
    • Keeping the connection aligned inspite of wildly mismatched threads trying to bring in the male connection at an angle
    • Hoping the washer is springy enough to seal the misaligned connection
    • Keeping squeeze pressure low enough that it doesn't force water past the misaligned connection

Sometimes those three things will all work, and the workaround will work. When it does work, I'd only use it for filtering into another container. I would not use it to filter into my mouth because I cannot see if a leak is dribbling water under the filter and into my mouth.

Frankly, it's not worth the risk of trying the workaround. I would recommend against anyone using a Platypus bladder with their Sawyer Squeeze. Use a recycled soda bottle if you can't afford or find a new Sawyer or Evernew bladder. There are probably folks that would give away their smaller Sawyer bladders if they were asked.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    The threads cannot align perfectly because you cannot change the thread pitch. Telling people it works is reckless.

I do appreciate that you're trying to share your workaround though. It relies on a few things.
    • Keeping the connection aligned inspite of wildly mismatched threads trying to bring in the male connection at an angle
    • Hoping the washer is springy enough to seal the misaligned connection
    • Keeping squeeze pressure low enough that it doesn't force water past the misaligned connection

Sometimes those three things will all work, and the workaround will work. When it does work, I'd only use it for filtering into another container. I would not use it to filter into my mouth because I cannot see if a leak is dribbling water under the filter and into my mouth.

Frankly, it's not worth the risk of trying the workaround. I would recommend against anyone using a Platypus bladder with their Sawyer Squeeze. Use a recycled soda bottle if you can't afford or find a new Sawyer or Evernew bladder. There are probably folks that would give away their smaller Sawyer bladders if they were asked.

What? Reckless, workaround? I used the Squeeze with the platy bag EXCLUSIVELY from NH to Springer Mountain. So, what like 1800 miles and probably 4.5 months, and yet you're telling me it doesn't work? I still have both the filter and the platy bag and use it now. There is no workaround, it screws on, it just has to be aligned properly, like I said. I saw many thruhikers on the trail using platy bags with the squeeze. I saw one, and only one, thruhiker (he was NOBO and I saw him in ME) that was still using the mylar bags. IDK how, he said he was just careful with it and took his time. For the previous post, it was the old style bags (I ordered both filter and platy in April or so of last year). I still can't see the new bags being all that much better. Considering it's your water treatment, I would invest in something more sturdy.

Images

There is no workaround, it screws on, it just has to be aligned properly, like I said.
    That's what a workaround is. It doesn't work, so you have to screw around with it to make it do something it's not meant to do.

I still can't see the new bags being all that much better. Considering it's your water treatment, I would invest in something more sturdy.
    Aligning properly without to screw around with ensuring perfect alignment isn't much better to you?? As I said above, the new Sawyer bladders and Evernew bladders are more sturdy and have align perfectly. Why buy a new Platypus that doesn't work right with the Sawyer when you can buy something that works perfectly?

My failure was in the original bags that came with the filter. The best way I can describe them is plastic with some kind of foil like coating. I will try rolling the new bags and, dare I say it, start sucking on the bags to get the water started. Thanks for all the tips. Regarding the bags failing in the 100 mile wilderness, I think both of us were SOBO, so that coincidence is basically saying the bag lasted less than a week.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Yah, I had a small leak in the wilderness, switched to another bag, and then that bag was trashed before I got outta NH. I just don't think the mylar is strong enough to make it. It may be fine for weekend warrior types, but let's face it, gear gets used and abused when thruhiking. The platy bag held up fine. I don't know what that other guy is talking about, like it's some kinda crazy mcgyvering thing that's gonna destroy the bag or the filter. It screws on just fine and works perfectly. If there's another bag that fits better, I'd use that, but the platy held up fine. I always laughed when I'd see NOBOs using the squeeze/platy. I'd make some remark like, "Great filter, *****ty bags!" Also, I had aquamira/bleach as back up, just 'cause any type of filter runs the risk of failure. I mean, what if it's dropped and breaks? Then what do you do? I won't take the time to boil water unless I absolutely have to.

I am preparing for a weekend hike, and did some testing with the sawyer squeeze, the 1 liter smart water bottles work perfect. The threads match, and when I put it upside down to squeeze, there was no leaking.

Default Sawyer Squeeze Filter

I carry 2 one liter smart water bottles and one of the original squeeze bags. I used the midsized bag for a couple of trips before it sprang a leak in the same spot everyone else's have.

Although the smart water bottles work ok, I would rather have a couple of the evernew bladders. Just can't fine em anywhere. Anyone know who's got em?!

I bought two .9 L Evernew bags online a couple of weeks ago from the Great Outdoors Depot. At that time, the person I spoke with to confirm they actually did have these in stock told me that they were close to being sold out. Like you, I searched long and hard before I came across these.

Good luck in your search!

Gym-Rat

Quote Originally Posted by skippysjs View Post
    I bought two .9 L Evernew bags online a couple of weeks ago from the Great Outdoors Depot. At that time, the person I spoke with to confirm they actually did have these in stock told me that they were close to being sold out. Like you, I searched long and hard before I came across these.

Good luck in your search!

Gym-Rat
    They are gone now. You could try here. How is your Japanese?

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/naturum/583014/

Platypus bags are hit or miss when used with the Sawyer squeeze filter. Kidchill, it's great that you found a platypus bag that worked and continued to work for the rest of your hike. But that doesn't always happen.

My first mylar Sawyer bag sprang a leak around the 200 mile mark. I was very careful with them after that, always rolling and using as little pressure as possible. Still, I wore out 4 bags by the time I reached Harpers Ferry.

I tried three different 1L Platypus bags, all the same model bought at the same time from the same store, with the Sawyer squeeze. Right from the start, the black bag would not seal at all no matter what I did. The orange bag sealed sometimes if I had the bag just right. The purple bag sealed most of the time. I used the orange one and the purple one most. But over time the orange one started leaking more from the join between the bag and the filter. And then the purple one sprang a leak too. I tried using teflon tape to help make the connection more snug but had little luck. If the threaded part was hard plastic maybe it would work better to add teflon tape. As it was, it seemed that the Platypus just deformed and leaked worse than ever once teflon tape was added.

Bottom line: if you go the route of using a Platypus bag on a Sawyer filter I highly recommend trying it at home for a while to make sure that you don't have leaks from the join. Sometimes a different Platypus bag will fit differently. It seems to be the luck of the draw. I have heard from a number of people with each experience (1) the Platypus bags leaked at the join and (2) the Platypus bags worked just fine.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    They are gone now. You could try here. How is your Japanese?

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/naturum/583014/
    I found it in English. They seem to be in stock. They don't ship to the US, but will ship to a forwarding company who will (for a fee) receive your package and ship it to you in the US. I have no idea if or when it might arrive or how much it may cost. But if you REALLY want and Evernew Water Carry....

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/n..._browsehist_en

Last month I bought two of Tinny's (minibulldesign.com) swayer adapters that he makes from the Sawyer to the platty bag. Hiking partner used it a few weeks ago and said it worked perfectly, as designed/described with his platty bags. I have not used it but the threads appear to screw tight with everything I've tried so far. I will be using that setup at the end of the month and will test prior to going. Dirty water side will be my Coleman's 3L canteen with wide mouth to narrow adapter, clean water side will be Tinny's adapter and platty bags.

Tinny has a video as well on his youtube channel explaining the adapters use etc.

Tinny's adapter link: https://www.minibulldesign.com/Produ...08&idcategory=
    Jetflow adapter link: http://jetflow.com/product-detail/?pid=247
    Last edited by cphobes; 08-07-2013 at 09:18. Reason: Added product links

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I found it in English. They seem to be in stock. They don't ship to the US, but will ship to a forwarding company who will (for a fee) receive your package and ship it to you in the US. I have no idea if or when it might arrive or how much it may cost. But if you REALLY want and Evernew Water Carry....

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/n..._browsehist_en

thanks but I think I can wait until they are back in stock somewhere in the US..haha

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++