WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Moccasin, 2008 Thru-hiker TrippinBTM's Avatar

Question Resupply on trail

Hey, I'm thinking about doing a thruhike on the BMT, or as much as I can, since time is a constraint. I have about 25 days at my disposal this August, dead time between the two volunteer opportunities I'm going to be doing on local farms. I'll probably be going SOBO, as I'll already be in the Asheville area, unless I figure out it'll be easier to shuttle down to around Springer and hike back north.

But, I was wondering, what is resupply like on this trail? What is the average interval between resupply points, and what is the longest one? I'm just trying to get a feel for this trail; really, the idea to hike it only occurred to me yesterday. But I feel I overplanned my AT thruhike, and don't want to do that again. Mainly, I'd like to skip the maildrops if possible.

Also, are permits required anywhere (besides the Smokies)? What are the shuttling options (in general, at least?). Anything else I might be forgetting?

I'd mostly be regurgitating what is already here: http://www.bmta.org/ if I answered all your questions.

In general it's a slightly more remote slightly more wild MUCH MUCH less crowded trail than the AT. Permits - GSMNP only. It's only about 285-290 miles so VERY reasonable for one who's done a thru like the AT before to do the avg MPD to do it in 25 days with a couple of Zeros thrown in there. IMO, the terrain is comparable to the AT. By no means is it a flat hike though. Maps are easy. Databooks and trail description books are well done. I just did it and much prefer that type of trail to some of the more crowded sections of the AT. Far fewer yahoos on the BMT.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TrippinBTM View Post
    Hey, I'm thinking about doing a thruhike on the BMT, or as much as I can, since time is a constraint. I have about 25 days at my disposal this August, dead time between the two volunteer opportunities I'm going to be doing on local farms. I'll probably be going SOBO, as I'll already be in the Asheville area, unless I figure out it'll be easier to shuttle down to around Springer and hike back north.
    IMO 25 days is plenty of time.

But, I was wondering, what is resupply like on this trail? What is the average interval between resupply points, and what is the longest one? I'm just trying to get a feel for this trail; really, the idea to hike it only occurred to me yesterday. But I feel I overplanned my AT thruhike, and don't want to do that again. Mainly, I'd like to skip the maildrops if possible.
    Skipping mail drops can probably be done, but may be a bit harder in some remote areas. Luckily in August all services will be open for business. The longest section without resupply is tricky to say, it depends on how far you are willing to get off the trail to get a re-supply and how fast you want to hike. Resupply between Fontanna and Ducktown could be your longest section without resupply if you want to stay mostly on trail without mail drops. That would be about 110 miles. Do you have my guidebook?

Also, are permits required anywhere (besides the Smokies)? What are the shuttling options (in general, at least?). Anything else I might be forgetting?
    Only in the Smokies will you need reservations and permits. Shuttles in some areas are not good. I've got a list in my guides broken down NoBo, but you can reverse that. And at all the towns along the way the shuttles (where they exist) are listed.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Thanks guys. I planned to get your guidebook, SGT, and now I'm sure I'd better. Probably most of my questions are answered therein. Question, is it sold locally anywhere in the Asheville area? I'm not sure I now have time to mail order it before I leave to head up there.

Images

I don't have any dealers in that area that I know of. I recently got a distributor so I'm not sure where it may be carried now. If you decided to drive to eorgia to start NOBO, NOC in Gatlinburg was carrying it as well as the NOC in on the AT in Wesser, also you could check by Neels Gap/Mountain Crossings as they were carrying the guide, and North Georgia Outfitters in Ellijay.

I always ship priority when you order from me directly, so you can have it in a couple of days.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Hmm. Well, I leave Tuesday morning, so I may have to wait on that. Possibly I'll try to stop by one of those places you mention and pick it up, otherwise, maybe I'll have to arrange with you to send it to me somehow. Good to know that's an option, at least.

++ New Posts ++