WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

I normally will never be looking at my feet. Frankly, I don't even think about what I'm looking at. I noticed that after I started trail running and after hiking many thousands miles that foot placement became second natured.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Depends upon the likelyhood of poison-ivy being around.

As said, it depends on the terrain. Rarely in northern New England is the trail clear enough of roots and rocks to spend significant time without watching for foot placement. When it presents itself, I take advantage of it. Generally, I quickly scan ahead, so I do think I take in most of my surroundings, but then it's back to looking down.

In the west, I have found long sections of trail that are much easier to hike without worrying about foot placement.

Images

I tend to look down 10-15 ahead of me until i encounter a low hanging tree branch.

Images

I can agree with something dogwood said about trekking poles. ive learned to put them away over rocks and roots, as I have to think about where the poles are going rather than just walk across the rocks/roots. I also keep my eyes in front of me on uphills so that I don't think "how much farther". those three words will tire you out more than the terrain itself.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Depends upon the likelyhood of poison-ivy being around.
    4 of us guys and 9 gals did a night hike, in torrential rain, week end before last, on the Pinhoti over Dugger Mt, from Burns Trailhead to FS500, about 9 miles. I was leading the group, the trail disappeared into waste deep poison ivy, didn't have the heart to tell them what they were wading through. I haven't heard any bad reports from any of them so hopefully none were allergic to it, the rain probably help wash the ivy oil off.

Images

Depending on the terrain I divide my attention to three different distances. 60 percent on where I put my feet immediately , 30 percent on the immediate trail ( say 10 to 30 feet ahead) and 10 percent looking at the bigger picture and scenery and wildlife.

These percentages varies widely depending on the terrain but they are always part of my visual attention.

I think I prolly scan the area in front of me 5-8 feet and then look around...then repeat as necessary for snakes, holes, roots, rocks, and vistas.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    You lost me this time Dogwood. Where did the angry , selfish hiker bit come from ?
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    You lost me this time Dogwood. Where did the angry , selfish hiker bit come from ?
    I can see why. I was off base with some of those adjectives. That physiology, how one holds their body in a heads down position, really doesn't aptly apply to someone who's angry and, only sometimes, to someone who's being selfish(as in someone trying to hide something or focused inwardly). I think the rest of those adjectives can aptly apply though to someone in a consistent slumped over, shoulders drooping, chin down, and vision focused down position. In a real sense, our inward states are reflected by our outward physioogy; that's my main pt.

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    I keep my head down when I cyberhike because I 'm a terrible typist.
    I use my index fingers like hiking poles.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Great question HB. I haven't read this whole thread but my honest answer is I don't know. Never really paid attention to it.

Default do you keep your head down when you hike?

My eyes are always here, there, and everywhere!

With me I must be subconsciously looking all the time, as soon as I fiddle with the MP3 or look at map whilst I am walking I trip or stumble.

Images

I feel like I hike head down but, somehow I still end up with hundreds of pictures.
    Seek, and you shall find.

Only when it's really needed to get through roots or rocks.

Hammock Hanger & Backpacker WalksInDark's Avatar

It's the rocks, stupid!

For me, my eyes are mostly on the ground...directly in front of me (+18"), then after I have found a safe footfall, I scan out 5-10' both on the trail and an equal distance out to both sides. When I pause walking, I l spend 30 seconds to a couple of minutes checking out the scenery. Every 15-30 minutes I do a dead stop and turn scan the area behind me. After all, being a short, old, slow hiker I have to worry about bobcats, bears, and the occasional possum sneaking up on me.

Without thinking about it, my eyes constantly scan my surroundings for movement. If something catches my eye, I stop, look, and listen.

You would be quite surprised to see how many critters and artifacts are out there when you just take the time to actually see them!
    You May Be S l o w...But You Are Ahead Of Me!

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    for myself I find after an hour or so of hiking I get into a zone where my feet know where to go without me thinking about it. I don't look directly down but rather 10-15 feet ahead of me, with my peripheral vision is enough.thre are exceptions of course over some rocky and rooty stretches , and of course on steep downs its essential.
    Same here except for me it's the DANGERZONE. I am currently sporting 3 dead black toenails and one completely missing that I yanked off. Thanks Long Trail!
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Ever since almost stepping on a rattlesnake in Pa. I find I look at the ground in front of me. Occasionaly I remember to look around and take in the scenery.

Section Hiker

Not much. I would rather fall, a little, than miss everything.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Images

When I'm barefoot, damn straight! When I'm shod, I usually look 6-10 feet in front of me most of the time.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++