WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Stir Fry

Default Freezed Dryed Meat how much for a Thru Hike.

I'll be doing my thru hike in 2014. Over the last couple of years I have been buying #10 cans of freezed dryed meat. I have 42lbs of meat so far. A mix of Hamburger, Sausage, and Chicken. On section hike I usualy use 1/4 lb per day. Is 1/4lb per day a good figuar to go with for a thru hike, or should I plan on more?
    If it do'nt eat you or kill you it makes you stronger
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

How long are you hiking for on your typical section hike?

I would thing that 1/4 lb dry weight would be plenty.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

There's a lot of variables to your question, SF. I typically use about a 1/4 cup of dried meat per dinner meal per day on a section hike. I'm not exactly sure how that equates to raw weight as I think you're using for your 1/4lb per day measurement. But it's probably pretty close. Next you need to factor in how many days per week/month you plan to eat in town. On a typical 9 day section, we eat out at least twice to up our calories. More in certain sections where food is abundant and we don't have to carry as much. And then you have to calculate in average pace per day and average nero/zero days. Lots to think about and swag. Then again, I enjoy that kind of thing Almost as much fun to plan the hike as it is to go on it!
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Stir Fry

My longest section hike was 22 days and I never developed a hiker apatite, so not sure extra to account for that.
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Stir Fry

My 1/4 lb is dry weight, I planing 180 days for my hike, there is extra planed in, and I'm basing my use on 160 days eating on trail. I'm just not sure if I should plan extra for when hiker apatite kicks in.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stir Fry View Post
    My 1/4 lb is dry weight, I planing 180 days for my hike, there is extra planed in, and I'm basing my use on 160 days eating on trail. I'm just not sure if I should plan extra for when hiker apatite kicks in.
    I haven't thrued but I have had hiker hunger and I can say that I did not add extra for the appetite kick. I just ate more in town when I had the chance and gobbled every bit of gorp and munchy food I had with me. But that is just me. Your experience can and will be different. Protein is important, but I bet you find yourself needing more carbohydrates than protein at the point you get hiker hunger. Of the thrus I have seen having meals on the trail, they are all pitifully small for the amount of calories they're burning and, probably, craving. I'm guessing that is due to the weight factor of the carried food.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

++ New Posts ++