WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The approach trail from Amicalola state Park to Springer (or vise versa) is well worth it. the falls are spectacular.

I don't understand why so many people skip Amicalola… beautiful falls and it's a nice trail to start on, plus no back tracking. There's a shelter 7.3 miles in, perfect first day while your starting to get used to things.

Somebody told me to do the "caves" trail that's at a shelter in ME. It wasn't in the cards when I went through and I'm still bummed about it and dreaming of getting back there. I know it would be sweet as my buddy told me (who flip flopped) and he knew I'd love it - he said "bring a head lamp"

I went to every view within a half mile when I had visibility and I never saw 2 views that are the same. So if anybody is telling you "every view is the same" or "I already saw that" then you know their full of it. That's like somebody saying they dig a nice cat hole with their trekking pole or their boot, lol.

I'll go ahead and recommend "The Jump Off" and "Charlies Bunion" in GSMNP near Icewater Spring Shelter and then a day or so later the fire tower on Mt. Cammerer is totally worth the .6 mile side trail, one of the best towers on the trail. Fully enclosed inside with windows with a complete wrap around balcony and great 360 views. The .6 mile side trail is not steep or hard either, I actually remember wondering if the tower is at a higher elevation then the side trail on the AT where it cuts off to it. Almost seemed like more down then up going to that tower.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

I should have included Grassy Ridge in Roan Highlands.
    As well as the pine mountain trail in Grayson Highlands.

One that I already wished I had gone on was the side trail to the general in PA. I didn't know how far it was to the destination, and I was trying to finish up PA the next day (1.5 days early to beat the hurricane) so I skipped it. Later that evening around camp we looked up its details and man oh man what a cool piece of history.

The Washington Monument in MD

Dismal Falls in VA

Spy Rock, VA

Standing Indian Overlook in NC (I skipped it)

Rich mountain Fire tower above Hot Springs, NC

Black stack cliffs in NC

The Red Barn in Roan Highlands
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I will add Dismal Falls in Virginia since it hasn't been mentioned yet. The falls aren't as high volume, or have as much vertical drop, as Laurel Falls in Tennessee, but it's still a nice place to experience. The trail to it is around four tenths of a mile and there are some nice camping spots along it.

I don't believe as many thru-hikers make this side trip as used to. When I hiked there in May 2018 there were no signs on the AT for NOBOs or SOBOs mentioning what was at the end of the blue blaze. I just took it on faith that I was headed for the falls because the trail was mentioned in my guidebook and it seemed like I was at about the right mileage for this particular trail to be the right one.

(Edit: Woops, Gambit mentioned Dismal Falls just five minutes before I posted!)
    Last edited by map man; 12-04-2018 at 09:14.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

I got to say, I can sort of understand the goal and feeling of achievement that comes with completing the whole trail in a season, but it was sad to see people PUSHING to get in miles, just for that goal. Trudging along putting in miles at night with no view, skipping all the side trails and attractions, etc. A very different pace than what I would enjoy.

Dark Hollow / Rose River Falls trails in SNP
    Mau Har trail in Three Ridges Wilderness VA

Quote Originally Posted by bighammer View Post
    I got to say, I can sort of understand the goal and feeling of achievement that comes with completing the whole trail in a season, but it was sad to see people PUSHING to get in miles, just for that goal. Trudging along putting in miles at night with no view, skipping all the side trails and attractions, etc. A very different pace than what I would enjoy.
    Enjoyment for one isn't enjoyment for all. Sometimes the goal comes with sacrifices, and that is okay.

I have walked several hundred miles of my completion of map1 during the night time. Do I wish I saw it during the day? Not really, the nighttime offers a view that most people don't get to see bc they are asleep All about perspective.

Back on track of the thread >>
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Did not hike it (yet), but the side trail to Mount LeConte in the GSMNP is highly recommended. It is a six mile hike, i think, each way from the AT to the lodge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++