WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default GSMNP - Aug 31 - Sep 5

My plans are locked in. I'll be on the AT Saturday 8/31 through Thursday 9/5, and the destination is the Great Smoky Mountain National Park! Other than the backcountry permit, what else should I know or expect - veterans and experts (or trolls...) - please weigh in on:

• General weather conditions
    • Access to water - where, and what quantity/quality should I expect this time of year?
    • Scenic side-steps worth looking for
    • Plants to look for or avoid common in late summer? (I like to forage a bit if I can)
      Thanks for any advice, everyone. Super stoked.

When I went thru GSMNP it was memorial day weekend and the temps dropped below 40 and it was raining. By the end I was becoming a little hypothermic. Prepare for the worst. I've never been in the Smokies on a clear sunny day. Other than the entrance and the exit it's a pretty easy trail to hike.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

too earlier to tell about weather.........

water shouldnt be a problem this year.......we've had a ton of rain in this area the last few weeks and i dont really see a spring running dry between now and then....

all the shelters have a spring nearby, along with some other various springs along the way......

as for side trails-----go up shuckstack tower...........along with mount mount cammerer........both are right off the AT......those are the easiest side trails to do......unless you wanna add more mileage in....

also.......might as well go up clingmans dome while you're there..............and before newfound gap, look for the people tunnel.......its just an interesting relic of the past....

a plant to avoid---poison ivy.....

Images

TNhiker - bingo - you got off to a good start with what I needed.

*TYPICAL* early september weather - should I plan for pants vs shorts / light bag vs blanket/light quilt? My gut feeling says it will be generally hot, humid, buggy as hell, and pretty wet, but having not been there I want to focus that in a little.

Journal Entries

Our two Smokies hikes were done in late May and mid-October. Both trips were a little chilly, but not uncomfortable. We've also hiked other parts of the AT in NC/TN, mostly in spring and fall. I would expect that late August could be hot, humid, and buggy.... or not. If I were going at this time, I would hike in shorts, and I would carry my long johns and my rain pants and my long sleeves and a warm jacket - but that's just me, and I sleep cold. The local temperature in Knoxville is currently 79*. At 5000+ elevation, it will be at least 10* cooler.

I would not expect bugs to be an issue. Please do be careful with your food. Problem bears here and there.

The AT through the Smokies is almost entirely along the crest of the mountains, sometimes on narrow little ridges. While it's not above treeline, there will be open areas here and there where you'll get views, breezes, sunburn, and lightning risk (if it's stormy). If the weather pattern continues what it's done so far this year, storms will be one of your bigger concerns.

I haven't seen any poison ivy at higher elevations, but you will probably see some on your entry/exit to the park.

Images

yes.....make sure food and smelly objects are secure......

most, if not all, shelters have a resident bear....

and really dont leave a pack unattended...........last year at cosby knob, i read the register about a hiker who had his pack taken by a bear and found it a few hundred yards away....

also, i know from personal experience last year at russell field that a bear shook my pack around while i was gone for exactly 5 minutes......i had hung food up in cables but left pack out on table to return to it on ground and dusty......

and for temps-----if it were me----i would pack a light fleece type jacket, and a pair of sweat type pants, and i'd be fine............of course, it could vary either way (as in, way hot than planned or a touch colder).....

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

The AT follows the mountain ridge of the Smokies and the elevations can easily make temperatures chillier than you might expect.

The "average" temperature charts say that you should expect lows in the upper 40s to upper 50s. But the weather is variable enough that at those upper elevations your night time low temperatures could be anywhere from upper 30s to mid 60s.

Even in the summer, I now carry a 2lb 32º sleeping bag for camping in the GSMNP.

Images

This is great stuff, everyone - thanks!

Don't forget that you will need reservations for your shelters.

Maybe I will see you out there. I am thinking of getting on the trail around Sept. 1 and doing 2 weeks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    Don't forget that you will need reservations for your shelters.
    Yup - my dates aren't available on the calendar yet. I'll be looking at my maps to map out what shelters to reserve so when my dates open up in a couple weeks I can jump on them. Quick question, though. Can I sign up for backcountry passes for both I and my hiking parter (who lives in Georgia) at the same time?

And there are no tents allowed at the shelters, correct? And also no tent camping on AT that's NOT at the shelters? Are the shelters really good enough for me to not need any kind of protection from elements/bugs? Having trouble wrapping my head around that one.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by redseal View Post
    Maybe I will see you out there. I am thinking of getting on the trail around Sept. 1 and doing 2 weeks.
    Hell yeah. We'll probably be going south from Clingman's and will continue SB out of the park over the dam. When I reserve my shelters I'll probably post.

Images

Can I sign up for backcountry passes for both I and my hiking parter (who lives in Georgia) at the same time?

yeah.......i think you can do up to 8 people at time..........

[QUOTE][And there are no tents allowed at the shelters, correct? And also no tent camping on AT that's NOT at the shelters? Are the shelters really good enough for me to not need any kind of protection from elements/bugs/QUOTE]

no tents........no hammocks....

and yeah.....for the most part you'll have protection from elements.......they've redone all the shelters over the last few years but every now and then you'll have a leak in roof, but nothing major...

as for wind and in winter time, there typically is a tarp strung up that one can lower......

and its not the bugs you really need to worry about----it's the mice.....

every shelter, due to lazy hikers who dont clean up after their meals and other things, has mice in them.......

Images

And also no tent camping on AT that's NOT at the shelters?

in the Park, you have to camp at established campsites or shelters.........

Images

[QUOTE=TNhiker;1500114]yeah.......i think you can do up to 8 people at time..........

[And there are no tents allowed at the shelters, correct? And also no tent camping on AT that's NOT at the shelters? Are the shelters really good enough for me to not need any kind of protection from elements/bugs/QUOTE]

no tents........no hammocks....

and yeah.....for the most part you'll have protection from elements.......they've redone all the shelters over the last few years but every now and then you'll have a leak in roof, but nothing major... and its not the bugs you really need to worry about----it's the mice.....every shelter, due to lazy hikers who dont clean up after their meals and other things, has mice in them.......
    Cool - you may have just saved me 3 pounds - I'll just bring my Tyvek tarp with me. Any decent "living with the mice" advice?

Images

yeah....

don't leave food around......other than that, just get use to them, i guess....

i never get much sleep in shelters cause im a light sleeper and can hear them scurring across the tin roof and what not....

also, i've sat at the table, with hands on a book, and have had mice run up one arm, across neck, and down other arm.....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    yeah....

don't leave food around......other than that, just get use to them, i guess....

i never get much sleep in shelters cause im a light sleeper and can hear them scurring across the tin roof and what not....

also, i've sat at the table, with hands on a book, and have had mice run up one arm, across neck, and down other arm.....
    I was expecting "Bring snakes." lol...

Images

oh, dont worry.....

each shelter has snakes as well....

good hunting ground for them.....

Journal Entries

Check the weather before you go and you can plan accordingly. There is weather forecast for Leconte and NFgap available.
    Sometimes its warmer on the mountains than down below when there is an inversion. Cannot just assume its 20F colder than in knoxville, it can be warmer.
    Probably mid 40s the lowest you will see.
    Definitely short sleeve weather in day. You might want a light fleece for 10 minutes in the morning at the highest elevations.

Mount Cammerer lookout tower is well worth the extra mile. I've hiked through the Smoky Mountains on the AT and it was the best view, even better than Klingmans Dome. Stayed at Tricorner shelter a few years back and had a lot of bears stop by to visit between 9p and 10p. Too tired to stay awake after that. I just hiked up the North end in May and started hiking at 4:30a to get up most the elevation before the sun came up. I'd recommend Shuckshack on the South end but it was cloudy when I was there and couldn't see anything. It's a really nice hike. Enjoy!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++