WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Campsite Closure GSMNP

Hey folks campsite 47 (enloe creek) in the GSMNP is currently closed because of bear activity. I was very surprised, I've never even seen a bear warning there in at least ten years. Anyway, plan accordingly if your hitting the BMT on that side of the park.

I may have to go have a talk with that bear. That is one of my favorite campsites in the park.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by liteweight View Post
    Hey folks campsite 47 (enloe creek) in the GSMNP is currently closed because of bear activity...
    Not an uncommon type of occurrence this time of year, especially if someone hasn't been using the bear cables. A camp site gets harassed by a bear, and the park service closes the camp site for a month to recondition the bear to not expect to find food there.

Any time you're heading to the GRMNP during the summer and fall, you've got to check the latest list of warning and closures: http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm You can see several other sites that are under bear warnings.

However, I must say I'm surprised 47 is closed. That's not in the typical area I've seen bear closures in the last few years. You'll notice that at the link I provided, most other camp sites (excluding shelters) are closer to more heavily used areas than 47. Wonder if there's a lot of BMT hikers this year.

++ New Posts ++