WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default Shemagh, one of the most versatile gears you may carry:

The keffiyeh, also known as shemagh , or in Persian chafiye , and in Kurdish cemedanî , is a traditional Arab headdress fashioned from a square, usually cotton, scarf. It is typically worn by Arab men, as well as some Kurds.

It is commonly found in arid regions to provide protection from direct sun exposure, as well to protect the mouth and eyes from blown dust and sand.( Wikipedia)

Shemagh is one of the most versatile gears you can carry and recently more and more hikers have started to appreciate its versatility. Some hikers believe it is useful just in arid and hot climates but I think it works in every situation , wet, dry, summer,winter and almost every where. Here is the list of potential uses of shemagh:

As a pillow cover

Extra shoulder pad

Warming belt( around the waist)

Covering the food to protect it from flies

Sun protection for the neck and face ( and bug protection at the same time)

Wiping off the sweat from face

Bandage

Arm sling

Keep the hiker cool( by dipping it in the water and wrapping it around the neck or over the head in hot days)

Keep the hiker warm ( wrapping around the neck and head in the cold weather)

Carrying stuff for a short hikes around the base camp( works as a pouch and can be wrapped around the waist)

Helping in collecting fruits and vegetables

Dust mask

Smoke mask( especially when wet)

Works as a towel after a shower or after a dip in a lake( ditching your towel when carrying the shemagh is a wise UL move)

Tourniquet

Works as a small cushion when folded up( hard surface blanket)

Gathering water in the mornings from morning dew

Covering your eyes when light is too much to sleep

As a pot holder

As a water filter

Bug net when having a nap in woods during the day

Drying tent after or during the rain

Works as a rope to help the other hiker up in rocks and boulders when hand is not long enough to reach the other hiker

Ps: I personally prefer the traditional pure cotton for shemagh since many of the uses of shemagh is dependent on the cotton fabric. It is normally around 40X40 inches and weighs around 4 to 6 ounces .

Heavy duty and thick shemaghs are not the best for hiking especially in warmer weathers . My choice is the ones around 4 Oz for summer and 6 Oz for winters. Darker colors work better in cold weathers and lighter color work best in warmer climates.

It is one of the gears that when you start using , after a while you start to think what the heck I was doing when not using them?

Cheap(around 4 to 12 bucks), versatile, light and durable.

Here is how to order…

Kookork

I use a bandanna - same princable, smaller size.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

With all respect, Bandana is too small to do many jobs that a Shemagh can do.We need to carry our towel when using bandana since it is too small to be able to dry the body after a shower for example but as you said the same principle but not as versatile as a shemagh.

Images

Thanks, Kookork. I would like to spend the small amount of money and try one out. Can you recommend a good one? I hear the Pakistani ones are best from what I am reading, but let me know what you think

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    Thanks, Kookork. I would like to spend the small amount of money and try one out. Can you recommend a good one? I hear the Pakistani ones are best from what I am reading, but let me know what you think
    You are welcome Namtrag. I recommend this one:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Shemagh-Light...66cd223&_uhb=1

I have had no experience with Pakistani shemagh so I can't be a reliable source about recommending them.

Any textile item, like a T shirt, that I've ever bought which originated in Pakistan was....less than high quality, to be polite.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Nice addition to the thread. Thanks Max.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by da fungo View Post
    Any textile item, like a T shirt, that I've ever bought which originated in Pakistan was....less than high quality, to be polite.
    I don't know about the Pakistani shemagh quality but about other textiles I am with you all the way.

I don't think I'd be able to wear that hiking in the south. For more than one reason.
    I ain't totin that!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by waterman1148 View Post
    I don't think I'd be able to wear that hiking in the south. For more than one reason.
    That stigma with the shemagh has been long gone but if you are still concerned you can use the plain white or one color or camouflage shemaghs that are now plenty in the market. About more than one reason , I am clueless unless you enlighten me. But hey HYOH. You will definitely do just fine without a shemagh either.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork:1499224
    That stigma with the shemagh has been long gone but if you are still concerned you can use the plain white or one color or camouflage shemaghs that are now plenty in the market. About more than one reason , I am clueless unless you enlighten me. But hey HYOH. You will definitely do just fine without a shemagh either.
    the stigma is far from long gone

Images

I wish it goes sooner than later because it is a great piece of gear to use. I personally have had no bad judgment here in Canada while hiking but if you say it is still there , then it is still there. I trust your judgment HB.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork:1499229
    I wish it goes sooner than later because it is a great piece of gear to use. I personally have had no bad judgment here in Canada while hiking but if you say it is still there , then it is still there. I trust your judgment HB.
    unfortunate but true

Images

I bet it if had the right college football emblem on it (or maybe NASCAR?), that's one reason you'd have no trouble at all in the South!

Give me a deep orange one with Clemson Tiger paws on it!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I bet it if had the right college football emblem on it (or maybe NASCAR?), that's one reason you'd have no trouble at all in the South!

Give me a deep orange one with Clemson Tiger paws on it!

RainMan

That would do it! Might create a different problem if it's the "wrong" team.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    Prolly get you through security at the airport faster with less hassle.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Interesting thread I think I'll have to cut me a few since I have less than perfect 100% cotton sheets in my fabric stash. I'm assuming that the fringe help drip water away much like the fringe on buckskin jackets.

Kookork, shemaghusefulness reminds me how handy a sarong is when you live on a beach. Towel, beach blanket, sunshade, privacy screen, & paired with the right flip flops fashion statement .

Images
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++