WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default spot gps tracker...a lighter choice than a phone on the trail.

After looking an different options for charging a smart phone, maybe not taking one me be a better option all together. The reason I want to bring a phone Is mainly to inform my family that Im ok ever so often, maybe every morning or something. But charging and reception it is kind of a pain, so what about a Gps tracker suck as the "spot" has any body has any experience with one? being a lighter choice(not having to carry anything to charge it with)will it work on the trail? any cons other than extra cost and the fact that I can't really actually "call" any one or use it to read, no maps or apps, etc. will it preform as advertised. Any other info I may not be considering or taking into account?

Well, I'm guessing that you know that it uses AA batteries - I believe 4 of them. And AAs don't tend to be light.
    But as to cost - doesn't it cost around $100 to 125 for a years tracking? You can't get a cell plan for anything close to that.

I have no experience with the SPOT myself, but several years ago I heard a young woman speak who had been an Iditarod competitor. She was very pleased with the 1st generation SPOT she's used.

SPOT uses two AA batteries, not four. If you're happy with the limitations and understand the cost (of the unit and the service options) and the weight, then I think you're taking everything into account. I'm not a fan of using this device most places personally, but I did carry one on the CDT and appreciated afterwards having a clear map of where I walked by dint of doing an "ok" checkin at twice a day (lunch time and at campsite). If you want a sense for what that looks like, my trail journal has an example. Go to http://postholer.com/brianle and on the data that shows up to the side of the screen click on the link in the bottom of that box that says "Continental Divide Trail Map". Expand the map that results, zoom and scroll. Hover the mouse pointer over any of the little 'S' icons to see the date and time of the checkin and the GPS location.

That sort of thing is a lot more helpful on the CDT, which varies for pretty much everyone who walks it. The AT (and PCT) are very well marked and unambiguous; you can know pretty precisely where you were along the AT in particular without carrying a SPOT device.

But if you really (really?) only want that one feature --- being able to keep your family frequently informed of where you are --- then SPOT will do it for you. Just please have "the conversation" with them before you go to make it clear that if you miss an expected checkin that doesn't mean they should immediately start calling local authorities to begin a search. Stuff happens. You might not want to pay for nor supply battery power for the "track continuously" feature (I didn't), so you might forget a checkin. You might be at a location where for whatever reason you can't check in or where you think you checked in but for whatever reason if failed. You might forget to buy replacment batteries when needed. You might break or lose the device. Etc. I'm not saying this will be a problem; probably it won't, but I think that anyone using one of these devices really needs to carefully tune expectations of those "back home".
    Last edited by BrianLe; 07-03-2013 at 12:10.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

I have both the delorme communicator and a spot messenger.

i like both, and have used both extensively. My spot hikes with me, works great.

one caution, make sure anyone who will be following you knows there is an emergency button you will press if you need help. Folks have been "rescued" when they did not need it because over anxious loved ones contacted authorities because they did not check in.... Rarely signals are not transmitted, tree cover or satellite positions can cause a signal to get missed.... Or, you can just forget to hit the button.

if you really want to stay connected, the delorme communicator will let you send and receive text via your smart phone or ipad with Bluetooth.... But that is a bunch more weight.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Images

I appreciated the info, one of the concerns I had was tree cover and not being able to get a signal out. I guess it will work most of the times then. It's just a hard to choose phone or tracker. I know the battery on the tracker last much longer than a cell. I would like to have both a cell and the tracker but its too much weight. Phone pro's:its much more than a phone(its more like a little computer!) phone con's: I have to be able to charge it and sometimes no reception. The spot gps pro's: better chance of reception and no need to charge. the con's: not able to have all the feature that come with the phone. Its a hard call. I have to make up my mind soon, I leave for the trail tomorrow. What would you guys take if you had to choose one or the other?

I would take the cell phone, you already have that. Where are you hiking?
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Section Hiker

I researched the Spot, was not appealing and the end, got mixed reviews especially where reliability of service was concerned. Take the phone and get an iTorch USB charger from New Trent.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Since you said you only wanted a phone for checking in at home (no data), you could consider a cheap unlocked quad band GSM phone with a prepaid SIM card. I don't know what kind of reception you would get, but it is very light, cheap, and the battery charge lasts a very long time if you only turn it on for checking in once per day. You can use it as an alarm clock or an MP3 player (with a 2 GB micro SD card). Plus, it will work in just about every country on Earth.

phone.jpg

I am female and canoe alone a lot so I got a SPOT last year. I check in with my SO twice a day. It is great. It makes him and my parents worry less and that alone is worth the weigh. I think all the early issues with coverage have been solved. I actually never go out for a day hike or snowshoe without it. We had a friend who broke her leg a few kilometers out on a ski trail and had very bad frostbite by the time she dragged herself back to her car.

we just ordered the new Delorme inReach. It can text individual messages. It is more expensive up front but not much more per year because you can turn it off in months you are not using it. I am going to take it on longer trips - that way if I need help I can provide specifics.

I've owned 2 Spots. The first worked great on the road & didn't work again for 90 miles. Or more accurately... didn't work again, period.

I returned it to REI & 2nd Spot has worked great including many miles with no phone reception.

Many Amazon and Rei reviews cite poor customer service, however, I have only had positive experiences with the Spot cust. serv. (and I've contacted them a lot with a Spot that didn't work and forgotten passwords, etc.)

I have it programed with 2 msgs. "All ok. Having fun!" & "No phone service. Having fun. All ok!"

PS... I also carry an old flip style cell phone. If I only text, the cell phone battery lasts 7-9 days. I carry both the cell phone and the Spot on my person in a waist pack or zipped into a pocket. I find that I don't mind the weight of these two items in the waist pack or in pockets, but I wouldn't want that weigh on my back.

It is also possible that if you are thru hiking your family will be comfortable enough with you on the trail after 2, 3, or 6 weeks of boring "Hi! All is well! Having fun!!" message day and evening and you can send the SPOT home, but you would still probably want a phone.
    Last edited by DLP; 07-03-2013 at 18:48.

I would just bring your cell...I brought my iphone 4s with lifeproof case, weighs 6oz on my scale. If that's all you're using it for, you don't need to charge it everyday. I'm not sure why people think phones die in half a day on the trail. Turn off the GPS and put it in airplane mode. I used my cell for pictures, telling time, checking weather, contacting family, etc...There were very few times it fully died while on the trial (actually, I think the 100mile wilderness was all). Just don't play AngryBirds all day and it'll last til your next town stop.

Images

im just taking the phone,its cheaper and more useful I guess. thanks for the help I appreciate it!!

It doesn't help the OP since he is on the trail now, but the Raisin Bran Kid is using a Spot - hits the OK message at night - then I update his webpage for his family and friends. http://twchikers.com/rbk/
    The Spot generated link can show people where 43.65340,-72.58255 is - but not that it is Ascutney Mtn. at mile 1,719.8 at the end of an 18.9 mile day.
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

If you have access to backpacking light- they have done some extensive reviews of the Spot devices. The first Generation had most of the issues described, the second generation appears to have solved most issues. They reported much better reliability over the first model. I don't own one, but am seriously debating it. Regarding cell phones, the general opinion is Verizon is the best choice. I went for an unlocked boost and had issues, so I picked up an unlocked phone from T-Mobile. Cell service was very bad and I ended up relying on other hikers phones, even in Hot Springs. From Springer to Hot Springs I had a signal four times, and virtually no data service. The cheapie phones are cheap, and work okay in town, but they have their issues. A Spot, if Okay messages are all you need, runs about $100 for the device and $50 for the basic service. Add $50 and you can use the tracking feature to route your hikes and get real-time data to your family, or for your own use when you get home. If I had the money I'd buy the Spot. The new spot got a highly recommended rating from BPL, a relatively rare thing. For all you ever wanted to know and more- https://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi...or_review.html you have to be a member to view it though.

Quote Originally Posted by corrales_305 View Post
    After looking an different options for charging a smart phone, maybe not taking one me be a better option all together. The reason I want to bring a phone Is mainly to inform my family that Im ok ever so often, maybe every morning or something. But charging and reception it is kind of a pain, so what about a Gps tracker suck as the "spot" has any body has any experience with one? being a lighter choice(not having to carry anything to charge it with)will it work on the trail? any cons other than extra cost and the fact that I can't really actually "call" any one or use it to read, no maps or apps, etc. will it preform as advertised. Any other info I may not be considering or taking into account?

I used a Spots from the time they came out until a few months ago. I switched to the Delorme inReach. The inReach does essentially the same thing as the Spot, except that it will also receive messages. To receive messages, one needs either a Delorme GPS Unit or an Smartphone. I use an iphone 5 with mine. I recently used the inReach while hiking the Salkantay Inca Trail in Peru. It worked great.
    Shutterbug

i stopped using a Spot, I stepped incorrectly a few years back and broke a bone in my food, I limped to the nearest road and sent my family a personal message preprogrammed as come get me along with notifications about my location, after nearly 12 hours sitting by the road a message got through. Over the next 3 weeks, messages were still arriving from that one day... I sent a total of 15-20 come get me messages and just as many notifications of where i was, only 5-6 of the location notifications got through and only 2 of the come get me messages went through.

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post

I used a Spots from the time they came out until a few months ago. I switched to the Delorme inReach. The inReach does essentially the same thing as the Spot, except that it will also receive messages. To receive messages, one needs either a Delorme GPS Unit or an Smartphone. I use an iphone 5 with mine. I recently used the inReach while hiking the Salkantay Inca Trail in Peru. It worked great.
    How does the battery life compare? Any service agreement required with the Delorme? I'm not a big Spot Fan, but there don't seem to be many alternatives.

Mapper and Tracker

I've got a new inReach SE and a SPOT 2, the specs suggest a similar battery life. The inReach charges via USB so you need to be in civilization of carry a USB battery pack if you're out that long. The SPOT uses expensive (at least in NZ) Energizer lithium batteries. They both work well, though the inReach adds peace of mind that people can contact you and you know for certain that the message has been sent, on the SPOT I'm never really sure if it has gone or not. You need a subscription for each device

Quote Originally Posted by couscous View Post
    It doesn't help the OP since he is on the trail now, but the Raisin Bran Kid is using a Spot - hits the OK message at night - then I update his webpage for his family and friends. http://twchikers.com/rbk/
    The Spot generated link can show people where 43.65340,-72.58255 is - but not that it is Ascutney Mtn. at mile 1,719.8 at the end of an 18.9 mile day.
    I used my Spot 2 on the AT. The batteries went dead (never happened to me previously) & I didn't realize it. When my wife asked me why I'd quit sending messages, I realized that I had a problem. New batteries fixed it. Other than that, I've never had any issues with it. I've used it in multiple places in the US, Canada, & NZ. Actually had to use the SOS button in NZ (came upon a bad wreck in the mountains w/ no cell coverage). It worked.

FYI - I hiked some w/ Raisin Bran Kid in TN & in the Shenandoahs.

Zman

Journal Entries

Charging is a pain?

If you use a phone as a PHONE and turn it on for 3 min to send a text message every night, the battery will last weeks to months.

If you use it as a toy, thats where the problem comes in.

Say what you mean.

My phone has a full charge still after as much as 2 weeks on trail. Its not an issue.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 11-16-2013 at 15:02.

++ New Posts ++