WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    Just to be clear, Ann is the caretaker at the hut. Not sure how the running of Nauman and the hut is allocated - might both be down to her, they are in the same clearing. In any event, that hut's Croo is friendly and Ann's awesome and gracious enough that I sent a commendation in for her to AMC after my stay there in early May.
    I think there are separate caretakers at Nauman and Mizpah. At least it appeared that way when we were at Nauman last year. On the other hand, the thunderstorms were so severe it was a bit difficult to tell.

Images

Farmer:

You asked about trekking poles on the rough descents. I find them helpful more often than not, A problem with the rough and rocky stuff, of course, is losing your balance. Easier to maintain it with two more contact points with the ground. Alleviates the impact on feat, ankles and knees on some of the 2-5 foot downs you have to negotiate, those you don't just butt-slide down.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    Farmer:

You asked about trekking poles on the rough descents. I find them helpful more often than not, A problem with the rough and rocky stuff, of course, is losing your balance. Easier to maintain it with two more contact points with the ground. Alleviates the impact on feat, ankles and knees on some of the 2-5 foot downs you have to negotiate, those you don't just butt-slide down.
    Ok. That's great to know. I was a bit worried about pole vaulting down the mountainside I find them helpful everywhere but have had a few climbs/descents where I'd rather have my hands on the rocks than pole tips. I'm sure there's some of those too.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    Ok. That's great to know. I was a bit worried about pole vaulting down the mountainside I find them helpful everywhere but have had a few climbs/descents where I'd rather have my hands on the rocks than pole tips. I'm sure there's some of those too.
    Oh, fear not, there are plenty of scrambles in the Whites, but it's easy enough to hand poles down or up to a fellow hiker for a given pass, stow them, etc.

I just throw them down to the bottom of steep stuff. Just make sure you don't use the straps. I adjust mine longer when going downhill and make darn sure they are tight as I put my full body weight on them in some spots.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I started Mahoosuc Notch (NOBO) with my poles, but I quickly figured out that I would be much faster without them. I stowed them in my side pack pockets and did great with my hands, although I wish that I had had gloves. Took me 75 minutes to get to the end, even though I was a bit nervous but thank god the rocks were dry. A young lady behind me went through in 65 minutes, but she was a bouldering pro and 35 years my junior. I do rely on my poles for the steep downhills. Sometimes they get in the way on a short, steep ascent/descent, in which case I just hold them in one hand and try not to trip myself.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Just a general update. The trip is still set to begin next Friday with a climb over Moosilauke but, and it's a big BUT, my daughter and I may have broken a toe on our last hike. I'm guessing metatarsal for my daughter while I think I just broke a phalanges distalis (i.e. tape and keep going). So, I might get to hike the white's twice (once with the remaining fam and once with my daughter - not a bad thing) or we might have to abort and take an unplanned vacation week in the Whites since we've already reserved a timeshare up there and can't back out. For now, we're moving forward with our plans but a visit to the doc today should prove informative.

Fingers crossed.

Just a general update. The trip is still set to begin next Friday with a climb over Moosilauke but, and it's a big BUT, my daughter and I may have broken a toe on our last hike . . . For now, we're moving forward with our plans but a visit to the doc today should prove informative.

Fingers crossed.
    Good luck!
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Meriadoc View Post
    Good luck!
    So, it's official. My toes is fine - just numb and able to bend weirdly. My daughter, however, has a broken metatarsal and the doc says it won't fully heal for about 3 weeks. Looks like I get to hike the Whites twice.

Btw, thought I'd offer up that I learned that an interagency Park Pass is good in the WMNF for parking. It must be displayed on the dashboard but you don't need to buy a permit if you plan to park in the park.

Images

By the way, I thought I would also inquire as to any really great spots for kids. I usually look for streams to play in, cool waterfalls to float sticks over, visitor's centers, that sort of thing as we hike along. It gives us things to look forward to each day as the kids don't always enjoy the incredibly awe-inspiring vistas quite the same way their mom and dad do. We definitely plan to stop in at the huts to grab a bite to eat as we pass by. We'll check out the observatory or whatever we can on top of Mt. Washington. What other spots are particularly interesting for kids?

Images

Your mileage expectations are too high. Leave the dog at home. Met a few in that section this year and they almost all had bloody paws from the rocks.
    Seek, and you shall find.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by -SEEKER- View Post
    Your mileage expectations are too high. Leave the dog at home. Met a few in that section this year and they almost all had bloody paws from the rocks.
    Already there on the dog. She'll be staying home. We'll see about the mileage. Totally flexible. Will update as we go.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

You will pass south of The Flume and The Basin in Franconia Notch, which could be really interesting to both you and the kids. Obviously it requires getting off the AT for a bit with some more walking, but they're both pretty cool. You could take a half-day off the trail, or perhaps catch these sites before/after the hike. I believe that they're within 1-2 miles of the AT trailhead, but it's not clear from Google Maps.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

theres a zipline at wildcat just north of pinkham.
    kerosenes flume suggestion is a bit more natural, and just as much fun.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

By the way, I thought I would also inquire as to any really great spots for kids. I usually look for streams to play in, cool waterfalls to float sticks over, visitor's centers, that sort of thing as we hike along. It gives us things to look forward to each day as the kids don't always enjoy the incredibly awe-inspiring vistas quite the same way their mom and dad do. We definitely plan to stop in at the huts to grab a bite to eat as we pass by. We'll check out the observatory or whatever we can on top of Mt. Washington. What other spots are particularly interesting for kids?
    We took our son at age 10 to Franconia Falls off the Lincoln Woods trailhead. He loved it. Campsites there and a rock water slide.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    We took our son at age 10 to Franconia Falls off the Lincoln Woods trailhead. He loved it. Campsites there and a rock water slide.
    My kids love playing in the water. A rock water slide sounds like just the ticket. Have to see how far off trail it is. Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    theres a zipline at wildcat just north of pinkham.
    kerosenes flume suggestion is a bit more natural, and just as much fun.
    Wow. That looks like a blast. Now that I have to hike it twice, it might be worth it to do then next time we come up. Maybe we can squeeze it in this time too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    You will pass south of The Flume and The Basin in Franconia Notch, which could be really interesting to both you and the kids. Obviously it requires getting off the AT for a bit with some more walking, but they're both pretty cool. You could take a half-day off the trail, or perhaps catch these sites before/after the hike. I believe that they're within 1-2 miles of the AT trailhead, but it's not clear from Google Maps.
    Ooh that looks neat. We'll probably have time for a nice excursion over there. Thanks!

If you let your kids play in the water, be real careful. The streams are running high and there have been a number of drowings this year from swiming in rivers with swift currents. May not be a problem with the smaller streams you'll encounter, but there could be some which are trouble. And it's never safe to climb on the rocks along a water fall.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

What other spots are particularly interesting for kids?
    Alpine slide at Attitash

Images

Just a general update. The trip is still set to begin next Friday with a climb over Moosilauke but, and it's a big BUT, my daughter and I may have broken a toe on our last hike. I'm guessing metatarsal for my daughter while I think I just broke a phalanges distalis (i.e. tape and keep going). So, I might get to hike the white's twice (once with the remaining fam and once with my daughter - not a bad thing) or we might have to abort and take an unplanned vacation week in the Whites since we've already reserved a timeshare up there and can't back out. For now, we're moving forward with our plans but a visit to the doc today should prove informative.

Fingers crossed.
    Fingers and toes, as it were. There's lots of cool stuff to do in the Whites even if one doesn't go up high - the Flume, Lost River, lots of nice waterfalls, especially in Crawford Notch area.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    The main trail into Franconia Falls, Lincoln Woods, will be closed except maybe for weekends during Farmer's visit, unfortunately.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++