WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    tideblazer
    Images

Unhappy Wasilik Poplar Cut Down?

For those of you who don't know about the Wasilik Poplar, it is rumored to be the second largest poplar tree in the nation. It is a lonely reminder of the once magnificent forests that once covered the US from the East Coast to the midwest, before logging altered over 99% of all forests in the area. It is located on a blue-blaze trail off the AT at Rock Gap in North Carolina.

I have heard from a highly reliable source that land management officials are considering cutting it down, for liability issues.

I was told, and have noticed myself, that it is dying. The cause is unknown, but some scientists reportedly say it is because of the extremely high amount of visitor traffic at its base, compacting soil around the roots, carving into it, and actually stripping its bark intentionally for some reason. Who knows, maybe it is just old and tired (and lonely). It was topped by Hurrican Opal some years ago.

So now they are afriad that it may drop its branches and kill people.

Has anyone else heard about this?

Do you think they should cut it down?
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Wookie
    For those of you who don't know about the Wasilik Poplar, it is rumored to be the second largest poplar tree in the nation. It is a lonely reminder of the once magnificent forests that once covered the US from the East Coast to the midwest, before logging altered over 99% of all forests in the area. It is located on a blue-blaze trail off the AT at Rock Gap in North Carolina.

I have heard from a highly reliable source that land management officials are considering cutting it down, for liability issues.

I was told, and have noticed myself, that it is dying. The cause is unknown, but some scientists reportedly say it is because of the extremely high amount of visitor traffic at its base, compacting soil around the roots, carving into it, and actually stripping its bark intentionally for some reason. Who knows, maybe it is just old and tired (and lonely). It was topped by Hurrican Opal some years ago.

So now they are afriad that it may drop its branches and kill people.

Has anyone else heard about this?

Do you think they should cut it down?
    Dang that is sad. I remember visiting that tree in the '70s and it was not looking good last time I was there in 2001. I hope if they do decide to cut it down, that they somehow preserve the base of the tree and put it on display to show future generations what we have lost. Last time I was there I tried to picture the forest full of trees (Chestnuts mainly) that were that size.

Edit:
    Speaking of the Chestnuts,. I have heard from a reliable source that they have been able to breed blight resistant American Chestnuts in Florida. Anyone (esp Wookie who seems to be on the inside loop on these sorts of things) heard about this? Of course we would never see the same sorts of forests in our lifetime, but that would be a good thing for us to leave for our Grandchildren.
    Last edited by SGT Rock; 07-26-2005 at 20:27.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

First, I would like to see the poplar roped off, and notices put up to see if they can enough people to respect the roped area. To see if it makes a recovery, before just wacking it down.

On the chestnut thing, I have heard the same thing, I can't remember if it was something I read, saw on a nature show or heard from one of my environmental science professor's. I will take a look in the next couple of days and see, if I have anything on it.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    Dang that is sad. I remember visiting that tree in the '70s and it was not looking good last time I was there in 2001. I hope if they do decide to cut it down, that they somehow preserve the base of the tree and put it on display to show future generations what we have lost. Last time I was there I tried to picture the forest full of trees (Chestnuts mainly) that were that size.

Edit:
    Speaking of the Chestnuts,. I have heard from a reliable source that they have been able to breed blight resistant American Chestnuts in Florida. Anyone (esp Wookie who seems to be on the inside loop on these sorts of things) heard about this? Of course we would never see the same sorts of forests in our lifetime, but that would be a good thing for us to leave for our Grandchildren.
    Funny, I just read an article on this. There are two camps. The pure American Chestnuts and those bred with Chinese chestnuts, then back-crossed to restore purity. The crossbred ones are very close to completion. The article said they would be making selections in 2006. They are something like 97+% pure. Don't know which camp was in Florida.

Lately, the locations of the some of the champion trees have been kept secret, to prevent damaging them.

From the American Chestnut Foundation Website
    http://www.acf.org/

"The goal of THE AMERICAN CHESTNUT FOUNDATION
    is to restore the American chestnut tree to its native range within the woodlands of the eastern United States, using a scientific research and breeding program developed by its founders. A blight-resistant American chestnut tree is expected to be ready for forest test-planting in 2006 and for wider distribution within the next decade."

They also have a brief history of the tree
    http://www.acf.org/Chestnut_history.htm

It is quite interesting, and sad.

Tripp

Images

is that the giant tree near that hostle? Damn i forget the name. Well it didnt look all too healthy when i saw it and it had a whole lot of carvings in it. I think i am takling about the right tree.

If people are going to carve into the tree i dont think they will listen to a polite sign and some rope.
    Happy Trails
    THE Mule

tideblazer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock

Edit:
    Rock, sorry, I don't know much about the chestnuts besides what has already been stated here. It is encouraging to think they might someday return to prominence. However, I am a bit skeptical, because it seems every time we modify nature it blows up in our faces.

I wonder how it would fit into the GMO (Genetic Modified) debate. I've seen some pretty convincing evidence that things like GMO corn have detrimental effects on other plants, creating a dangerously homogeneous biological situation, where the modified "frankenfood" litterally takes over, and intrudes on other plants in an invasive fashion.

Already, we've seen the terrible ecological consequences of introducing new species to an area, like kudzu, european beach grass, mongooses, rainbow trout, gysy moths, and so on, that tend to dominate and eliminate native species that are key ecological community members. I'm not saying I know this GMO chesnut to be invasive, but history is not on its side. I would like to learn more, if anyone has some more well-cited references to share.

If 97% is native, how will the other 3% behave? I hope not like most of the other species we've imported from Asia.

But it would be nice to see the Chestnuts big and brave. just not too brave...

It just occurred to me that they might not be GMO, but just cross-breeding. Does anyone know more about this? Still, it's a risk worth considering.

Anyway, I hope the Wasilik Poplar continues its legacy, and avoids the saw. I'd rather see them close the trail than finish off the old soul.
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

It is near Rainbow Springs Trail Dog.

The Poplar, at Rock Gap, could be set "Off Limits" in the same way trails are closed so as to "recover". I can't believe the USFS would cut it down.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

I own a few acres with some large, but by no means ancient, poplars. Tulip poplar wood is not reknown for hardness. We're not talking hickories or walnuts here.

Old poplars are seldom symmetrical because large branches tend to break and split the main trunk. It's not a good tree to have close to your house. Storms wreak havok on them. All the older pops on my propety have lost their original crown at least once.

The Waslik grandfather has played deep into overtime. It shouldn't be thrown out of the game before it's ready but a little respect could be shown by keeping folks away from its base.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Amusing...they find the tree a 'threat' to people by doing what it does...just dropping branches.

'They' voted to have it removed to protect people...there are chances you take with any outdoor excursion, and standing/sleeping under a big tree and having the branches fall on you are a couple of them.

Let the tree die in its own way, if it is sick, then leave it alone....I dont know what to say....it is sad, but the same people who have made this decision are the same people who make a lot o fother choices without the peoples consent or ackowledgment.

Man improving Nature...what a hoot.
    Sorry to hear this.

Images

Talking Don't run wild with rumors

So, far, this entire thread is based on a plainly unsubstantiated and admitted rumor.

I say please pause and count to 10 before bemoaning this and that as if it were FACT.

That's all. Thanks fer listening!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I'm no tree hugger. I ain't gonna lose sleep over an almost dead, vandalized tree.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Isnt there another really large famous tree on or near the AT? A different one than the wasilik...
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

nope not the one i was thinking about. i am thinking of a shagbark hickory or something like that.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Default Not GMO

As far as I know, the crossbred chestnut is not a GMO. There has been no gene splicing that I am aware of. They don't seem to have identified the genes that confer blight resistance. I have a friend who I will double check with. It is simply a crossbreed like many of our regular domestic vegetables are. I would prefer that the purebred version be restored myself, but I think the crossbred chestnut will win the race. Given the prominence of the American chestnut in the forest canopy previously, it is a smaller concern about it taking over. Also, the Chinese chestnuts are shorter and unable to reach the height necessary to dominate in the canopy.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    I'm no tree hugger. I ain't gonna lose sleep over an almost dead, vandalized tree.
    I got pictures of you hugging a tree!

Not really...but imagine!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++