WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Fishing the Colorado Trail

Hiking from Molas Pass to Durango in July and thinking of doing some fishing along the way (I'll have all the food I need, but thought it would be fun and good for morale if I could add some fresh fix to the mix). I am considering doing a simple "rig in a can" setup with some line, hooks, and weights. I will get a license.

My question(s): how is the fishing on this stretch, and does anyone have suggestions on what types of line, hooks, lures I should have on me?

Thanks!

"Fresh fish" not "fresh fix." Sigh.

The places you will find fish along that section are Bolam Lake, Kennebec Lake, Cascade Creek, and Junction Creek. I doubt you will have much success using the "rig in a can", but maybe....

Naaaa... Gotta respectfully disagree with BC. This from the yesteryear files...

Back in the 70's and 80's I often rode a motorcycle or hiked to Dutch Creek and beyond, following the Hermosa Creek trail, north of Dgo. Never had more than what you describe as "rig in a can" in my pack All it took was one bug on the hook. Dropped it in the turbulent hole beneath a waterfall and bam... trout #1. After that it was easy to hook the guts from the first trout and drop the hook back in for more.

A little oil. A little frying pan. Those frying-pan-sized fighters were the best. Yum.

Missed out on the San Juans during my CT hike in 2009 due to early snow, so I don't know specifically about all the streams along the way. Take the rig (think trout dinner) and let us know how it works out.

Cheeks of the trout, lad... Cheeks of the trout.
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

Quote Originally Posted by McPick View Post
    Naaaa... Gotta respectfully disagree with BC. This from the yesteryear files...

Back in the 70's and 80's I often rode a motorcycle or hiked to Dutch Creek and beyond, following the Hermosa Creek trail, north of Dgo. Never had more than what you describe as "rig in a can" in my pack All it took was one bug on the hook. Dropped it in the turbulent hole beneath a waterfall and bam... trout #1. After that it was easy to hook the guts from the first trout and drop the hook back in for more.

A little oil. A little frying pan. Those frying-pan-sized fighters were the best. Yum.

Missed out on the San Juans during my CT hike in 2009 due to early snow, so I don't know specifically about all the streams along the way. Take the rig (think trout dinner) and let us know how it works out.

Cheeks of the trout, lad... Cheeks of the trout.
    +1 on the cheek meat.

++ New Posts ++