WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default looking for texas a.t.ers to be

im a hopeful class of 2008 and i would like to find other hikers in texas with a.t. on the brain. i think it would be cool to get a loose group together for "training trips"

Am going on my first section-hike with my teenage son on the 1st of August through the 12th, hopefully from Roan Mountain, TN, to Mt. Rogers, VA. Will relay my experiences to you when I get back - hillbilly

where are you at in texas?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny quest
    where are you at in texas?
    his profile says Hotuston.....

I'd reply in the afirmative, but my date is more like 2015.....

Images

You got one here in Dallas!!

cool. is there a club or loose affiliation of folks who go on training hikes or compare gear...with an eye to thruhiking the at? i do as many multiday hikes as i can through out the year and am looking for others witht he same goal

Let me know if you ever make over to NM for a trip... I'm in Albuquerque.

im all about that! here in texas you got to drive a ways just to get a good meal sometimes. so a 6 or more hour drive to find a good 4 to 8 day hike is ok with me.

John and Jim:

Mountain Dew lives just south of Dallas and will be home this fall and winter. He's on the Trail right now on his second thru (first was 2003) , but I'm sure he'll be very happy to correspond or met with you guys this fall or winter; he also works for an Outfitter so he's a good guy to go to for gear questions, problems, etc. Anyway, contact him here by Private Message and I'm sure he'll get back to you at the first opportunity.

Default God's country

Fort Worth rocks ....

The only good thing that
    comes out of Dallas is
    "Interstate 20 west.

ummm.....amen i guess. not sure what the point of that was but being from little old dublin im not going to get into that turf war. anyway....if anyone in texas wants to start talking about some training hikes or some gear testing....let me know

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

ummm.....amen i guess. not sure what the point of that was but being from little old dublin im not going to get into that turf war. anyway....if anyone in texas wants to start talking about some training hikes or some gear testing....let me know
    Dublin!

Are you a "Pepper"?

(I think Dublin is the home of the oldest Dr. Pepper plant)

P.S. Austin here.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerHobo
    Fort Worth rocks ....

The only good thing that
    comes out of Dallas is
    "Interstate 20 west.
    ...and the Cowboys...

Used to be a car commercial that would air when I was a kid living in Richardson.
    (North Dallas)

The jingle went something like this,

"at the bottom of my heart
    there a red and blue tattoo
    saying foooort wooorth I loooove you"

Still sticks in my mind all these years later.

it sure is. that is where i work. so if we ever got an a.t. group together for training hikes or the like....we would have plenty of sweet nectar at the end of the trail. anybody interested in doing the caprock canyon trail once the weather breaks?

Images

Default If it wasn't for Dallas, Fort Worth Wouldn't be West of Anything!

....besides I20 really goes to Weatherford, NOT Fort Worth!

Hey Jack -

Yep, I have exchanged note with Mountain Dew in the past. In fact I just bought a Kayak from his former employeer.

Meadow Creek -

I am cooking for a Trail Crew in the Santa Fe Nation Forest for the CDTA this weekend! We will zip right by you.

All -

I have made to drive to the AT & Springer a couple of times in the last few years. Work is keeping me closer to home these days. I have adopted a section of the Ouchita Trail near Mena, AR. Only about 4 hours from Dallas. Very pretty country, but much HOTTER than the Appalachians.

I did a work weekend with the Friends of the Ouchita Trail last spring, nice folks, pretty country. www.friendsot.org

Anybody try one of the Texas Trailways yet? I have a friend that has hiked the Caprock Trailway out near Childress. She said it was pretty but that is a long drive, and there is little water.

I would certainly but up for a gathering of some type. Their are several former through hikers in this area. They might like to sit in.

Images

it sure is. that is where i work. so if we ever got an a.t. group together for training hikes or the like....we would have plenty of sweet nectar at the end of the trail. anybody interested in doing the caprock canyon trail once the weather breaks?
    So you are about as much of a "pepper" as one can get!

I'm just able to do day hikes now close to home but I was thinking about a trip to Big bend instead of my usual saltwater fishing trip in the fall.

I've been section hiking the trail with my daughter. We live in the Dallas area. We started in Georgia a few years ago and try to do a week each year. We did a week in the Smokeys over the July 4th week. Thru hiking is on my to-do list, not sure when... I'm always looking for places closer to home for practice hikes. Any suggestions?

the caprock canyon hike is pretty cool. i did it three years ago and at that time we were still one of the first 100 thru hikers and got a cool patch and certificate. it would be fun to go with a group. it is a 4 to 6 day hike depending on your pace. when i went we cached water but there are two towns that you go thru that you can get water at. i would love to go again with a like minded group

Images

Trailsmail -

Northwest Arkansas has a lot to offer. In the Ouachitas or the Ozarks. I thru hike of the Ouahita Trail is about 225 miles but best in winter. You can get to the western end with just a few hours drive from Dallas up through Paris, Texas. It's not the AT but it ain't flat!

im all for it! i would love to hike the ot! lets get a group, pick a date, and designate some vehicles for pick up! im there!!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++