WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    AT 2012

Default ul long sleeve summer shirt?

Ok... I'm tired of trying to find the lightest piece of gear at the best price, spending a few days feeling good about what i purchased, then reading the thread about what i should have bought or where i should have bought it!

I want a long sleeve shirt to replace my worn out patagonia pull over shirt -- i don't know what model shirt it is, but it has a good sun protection value and is very breathable, thin and light. no frills -- no collar, no pocket, no nothing. probably weighs around 4 or 5 ounces.

what should i buy and where?
    Lazarus

Is 8 oz too much?

AT 2012

8 ounces is probably too much. that's like half a sleeping bag... but what have you got in mind?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    Lazarus

Had loads of different ones come through my hands over recent weeks..the Exofficio (lite) has loads of features if you need/want them, soft brushed feel fabric also...I settled on the Mountain Hardwear one....simple and very solid...

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    I want a long sleeve shirt to replace my worn out patagonia pull over shirt
    what should i buy and where?
    Worn out Patagonia shirt? Can't be!!! Patagonia is bomb proof. Try Starter shirts at Walmart.

I prefer a light merino layer, even in summer weather. Some good prices here: http://www.departmentofgoods.com/sto...ng-sleeve-mens

Images

I have worn Golite BL1 base layers and even after 3000+miles it still keeps on kicking. I couldn't find it on their site, suspect it was discontinued. You may want to consider this: http://www.golite.com/Ms-Wildwood-Tr...op-P46936.aspx. Certainly light enough. Then after wearing it, let me know how it works so I can buy one!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    I prefer a light merino layer, even in summer weather. Some good prices here: http://www.departmentofgoods.com/sto...ng-sleeve-mens
    That's the way I'd go if I wasn't going to wear nylon. Polyester gets way too stinky for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    Smartwool long sleeve microweight is comfortable for me. Keeps many bugs off, provides uv protection and doesn't stink too badly.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

My favorite 3-season hiking shirt is the EcoMesh by Railriders. A bit pricey, but very quick drying, very well vented, and sun-blocking. Have used these shirts for years. When it gets colder I go to merino layers. I really like merino but I SWEAT, and the merino just doesn't dry out fast enough in the summer.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I recommend ICebreakers merino wool LS shirt. The old style (which has been replaced) weighed like 3.5-4oz for a large. I used this exclusively for my thru. If you're getting eaten by mosquitos or blasted by the sun, slide the sleeves down...if it's too hot, slide the sleeves up. It really works great! I think it was the Icebreaker 150wt. I can find a link if you're really interested. I went with the grey/fossil color and I feel it reflects the heat nicely...I'm still wearing them around the house and when outside now that I'm back from the trail.

8 ounces is probably too much. that's like half a sleeping bag... but what have you got in mind?
    HA!

If you can afford merino, go for that. If you want synthetic, Walmart Starter brand.

Quote Originally Posted by litefoot2000 View Post
    Try Starter shirts at Walmart.
    But only if you want the most for your money.

Not that I've weighed it, but I personally recommend the long-sleeved Champion workout shirt from Target. It's cheap, thus easily replaced. It wicks sweat. And you can buy it in neon and/or camo. Plus, you can stock up on Snickers while you're in the store.
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

AT 2012

ok -- i'll admit i'm not focused on the price -- just weight and performance. so far, the patagonia fore runner at 4.7 ounces doesn't seem to have any advantage over the golite wildwood at 3 ounces... admittedly, the golite rep said that their shirt is light enough in weight so that a pack can abrade it -- but i don't mind replacing the shirt from time to time. QiWiz, your recommended shirt is beautiful, but at that weight I'd have to leave my treasured firefly stove behind!!! Really, though -- how do you think your railrider shirt justifies double the weight?
    Lazarus

well, I'm liking this one these days...Teck wick deal 001.jpg though probably not the driest, lightest or least smelly...but the price was definitely on the mark....It's my best thing!

and I just happen to have a picture of it laying around...show and brag
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 06-25-2013 at 01:16. Reason: it's just braggin

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    well, I'm liking this one these days...Teck wick deal 001.jpg though probably not the driest, lightest or least smelly...but the price was definitely on the mark....It's my best thing!

and I just happen to have a picture of it laying around...show and brag
    AND another great thing about your shirt is that, now that you've joined the group scared of lyme bench, it has long sleeves!!!
    Lazarus

AND another great thing about your shirt is that, now that you've joined the group scared of lyme bench, it has long sleeves!!!
    Should I be tucking them into my gloves, I hate wearing gloves in the summer.

Truth be told, I'm gonna break down and buy one of those Merino shirt icebreaker thingy's, there just so much $$$ for one garment...I'm a cheap bastid, frugal to the very core. But if there that good, it'll be my new best thing, and I'd wear it to death.

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Should I be tucking them into my gloves, I hate wearing gloves in the summer.
    yup. and gotta be latex. latex is the only thing that'll stop those buggers. latex laced with permathrin.
    Lazarus

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++