WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Which Vibram FiveFinger(s) to wear on the Long Trail?

I bought a pair of on-sale Bikila LS on sale at REI a month ago, and I haven't hiked in anything else since. So I'm a convert.

So now I'm willing to spend the money on the 'right' pair. I'm going NOBO on the Long Trail in August, so I'm looking for advice from other FF wearers.

My main concern is walking all day in wet feet. Obviously if I even touch soggy ground in the Bikilas, my feet are instantly wet. I always wear midweight Injinji or Smartwool toe socks with the shoes, so my feet are always warm and comfortable, but they *are* still wet.

I'm looking at the Lontra (http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/pro...tra-Womens.htm) which seems to offer some minimal water resistance, but perhaps also seems more geared towards winter activities, and may be too hot in the summer?

Everyone loved the KSO in 2011, and the uppers no longer appear to be leather (good for water), but the soles are still the slick soles, which I'm hesitant to use (grip is GOOD).

Any FF wearers have suggestions/recommendations, or thoughts on the FF in wet conditions?

Most of the VFF wearers I know do not wear socks and expect to have damp feet. It kind of goes with the territory. I trail run daily year round and my feet are generally wet much of the time. It really isn't a problem. They get from soaking to just damp pretty quickly. Socks just slow down the drying process.

Also waterproofing keeps moisture in so I would avoid it. Once you cross a creek in a waterproof shoe you will slosh for a long time. With more mesh you will be back to just damp pretty quickly.

I enjoyed my VFFs but decided I like more rock protection for most of the terrain that I run and hike in. I am now using a bit more substantial trail running shoe.

Images

I have been hiking in the VFF Spyridon LS model for the past year and they have fantastic rock protection! They are the best VFF yet! YMMV! Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    I have been hiking in the VFF Spyridon LS model for the past year and they have fantastic rock protection! They are the best VFF yet! YMMV! Maddog
    I may gave to try them.

++ New Posts ++