WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post

No different than any other discussion be it my day job (IT), my first love (history) or the outdoors.
    Slightly off topic, but speaking of IT and hiking is there any hiker slang that is a the equivalent of the term PEBCAK?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by tomsawyer222 View Post
    Your correct full conditions it was my original statement but my intent was never that pieced trails are not legitiment. Only that you cannot have a record such as first or fastest on antrail that is not completed right now i could go speed hike the mst and they could add 300 miles to it next year therefore i hold the record and you can never beat it cause your trail is much longer that is my only assertion On that. and this is my only real care about anything in this thread the rest is just responses

As to problems with land handling during the creation of the AT especially in the south you should check the history on that and how lots of the national forests there were created thru sizure of land by the government thru the tennessee valley authority. It created a lot of unhappiness.The at did use existing trail but as of now i bet those other trails are long gone except the ones up north which is why i used that as an example. As to the western trails having no problems i think you will find that they had large opposition from ranchers and farmers of course it looks like a smooth transition years later. I am not switching claims i am trying to respond to multiple parties about different things which is difficult. The AT may have used existing trails in some places but it was no where near 75 percent other trails Like the GET is. I dont understand the need for the GET over all when that energy could be directed into maintaining the existing trails that dont have enough support.

I did not mean MST is the mountains to sea trail as thats the only MST just that it was the one i was refering too.

I know there are multiple GET As well. To me the GET seems like a bid to unite all these smaller trails in an atempt to get federal NST designation which brings money with it.i only have a problem with this because of how i feel trail clubs should be set up its not anything against the GET.

mags. I am sorry that my hiking resume does not rate having an opinion on this subject. I will not justify where and how much experience i have for any discussion.
    Are you really conflating the creation of national forests in the south with the creation of the AT? That's just too silly to respond to. And, did you truly want me to do your research for you? Sigh....so here's how it works - you make an assertion you back your claim with evidence not with more assertions.
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Slightly off topic, but speaking of IT and hiking is there any hiker slang that is a the equivalent of the term PEBCAK?
    Hmmm..not that I know of..but I know of hikers who could could fit a new acronym: PEBSAP (shoes and pack!)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by tomsawyer222 View Post
    To me the GET seems like a bid to unite all these smaller trails in an atempt to get federal NST designation which brings money with it.i only have a problem with this because of how i feel trail clubs should be set up its not anything against the GET.
    That's actually been specifically decided against as a course of action for the GET. Not least because in this part of this century at least, gov't resources are going to be insufficient to deal with the associated b$ level and fear of black helicopters, so to speak. I suppose it's now an experiment to see how a minimal association of shoestring associations does at creating a nine-state pathway by enhancing linkages between its members, and validating each's attempts to keep going. No longer do I hear serious talk of abandoning the southern six sections of Mid State Trail, dissolving the Standing Stone Trail Club, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    No longer do I hear serious talk of abandoning the southern six sections of Mid State Trail, dissolving the Standing Stone Trail Club, etc.
    Well yeah. We need the rocks in those six sections! The Standing Stone Trail tries, but it has yet to achieve the rockiness of the southern Mid State Trail. Needs more people piling rocks on it.

Another thought: fewer people have hiked the entire GET than have walked on the surface of the Moon!

Hey Jo!
    Enjoyed your account on the trail show.

What a thrilling discussion in this thread, I just had to chime in with a critical point-

THANK YOU FOR ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING YOU ARE DOING!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++