WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Mohegan outdoor center AMC

I've had a disappointing experience at this location that has me quite frankly a bit suspicious. I had a mail drop there. They say it didn't get there but I can wait as they still need to check that days mail. Three hours later no package when they check. I buy some of their very limited selection of food and was offered 2x for them to make me a sandwich which is not hiker portioned. Everything seems pricy.

After losing 3 hours I move on. I check with the sender and find that delivery was confirmed a day earlier and they are forwarding it.

Talking to two other hikers they have said they were disappointed with that center also and experienced a uncaring about thru hiker attitude.

Anyone have any experience good or bad about this place?

I plan to bring this to the attention f AMC as I am a hike leader for them. I don know of that matters but at least I feel I should let HQ know about my experence there.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I've had a disappointing experience at this location that has me quite frankly a bit suspicious. I had a mail drop there. They say it didn't get there but I can wait as they still need to check that days mail. Three hours later no package when they check. I buy some of their very limited selection of food and was offered 2x for them to make me a sandwich which is not hiker portioned. Everything seems pricy.

After losing 3 hours I move on. I check with the sender and find that delivery was confirmed a day earlier and they are forwarding it.

Talking to two other hikers they have said they were disappointed with that center also and experienced a uncaring about thru hiker attitude.

Anyone have any experience good or bad about this place?

I plan to bring this to the attention f AMC as I am a hike leader for them. I don know of that matters but at least I feel I should let HQ know about my experence there.
    If it matters to you...then it matters....and nothin wrong with mentioning it. My experiences are limited to the one time I was recently there...and the water was greatly appreciated, as was the shaded lawn to flop out on, and run my toes through the grass....cool library too!

Well, they are there primary to serve paying guests after all. It's been a few years, but when I was there I got what I think was a free sandwich, definately a free campsite, water and a dip in the pond on a very hot day. Since I didn't ask for much, I wasn't disappointed with what I got. And why the heck would you send a package there anyway? Your only a day out of DWG and a couple of days from a town you can buy food at or go to the deli.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation The reason Mohican Outdoor doesn't seem friendly to thru-hikers

Is because they are NOT a place seeking the business of thru-hikers, and make no pretense that they do.
    Their own web site
    http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/mohican/
    should make it clear what type of clientele they are looking for. As I noted in my review
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...t=#post1479973
    we AT backpackers are welcome -- we even get a discount -- but we are not the prime revenue source for MOC. As such, I didn't expect any special treatment and was fairly happy with what I got.

> a sandwich which is not hiker portioned. Everything seems pricy
    Again, this fact has been well-publicized for some time
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...48#post1331748

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    Is because they are NOT a place seeking the business of thru-hikers, and make no pretense that they do.
    Their own web site
    http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/mohican/
    we AT backpackers are welcome -- we even get a discount -- but we are not the prime revenue source for MOC. As such, I didn't expect any special treatment and was fairly happy with what I got.
    There is a difference between not getting special treatment and outright lied too to sell their stuff which another hiker also suspects about a maildrop they had also.

Which one is it?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    There is a difference between not getting special treatment and outright lied too to sell their stuff which another hiker also suspects about a maildrop they had also.
    Which one is it?
    Since I don't have a lie detector -- and neither do you -- I don't know if there was an outright lie or a simple screw-up on their part on whether the mail-drop had arrived. Based on the number of times, in organizations that I've been a member of, that someone failed to pass on information, I suspect the latter as more likely.

If you assume, "If someone failed to pass on important information to someone, and that latter person acts on the information given to her/him, and thus passes on false information, that's an outright lie.", then my answer would have to be it was an outright lie.

Which isn't to defend the place -- a screw-up is just as damaging as a lie -- but to assume an intentional moral failure with a failure to properly communicate, is to make quite a broad leap of faith.

My Grandfather and I stayed here last July. We bought a campsite and a few sodas. My grandfather picked up a bad vibe from the worker, I didn't really see it. The stuff is pricey, but you have to realize that going in, you're dealing with the "Appalachian Money Club" after all. As for you're mail drop, that sucks. I would probably feel the same as you, but I really hope that the workers wouldn't do something like that.

++ New Posts ++