WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 6 day VA section ideas

After living in Texas for eight years, I'm finally going back to Virginia for a short hike on the AT. I used to do several short sections per year, now I find that it's embarrassing how quickly I've gotten rusty! I've forgotten all the little things that I never used to think about--hiker lingo, how much water to carry, how serious I need to be about bear bags, whether hiking in tennis shoes is a good idea, where to safely park a car for 5 nights, etc. Feel free to weigh in on those topics. But for now my question is, what section should I do?

I'm bringing my girlfriend. We're both fit mid-to-late-twenty-something cyclist/runners, but this will be her first hiking trip, and her first time camping more than a few feet from a car. I want to give her the experience of having days without many signs of civilization. I also want to give her that empowering feeling of "I could do this forever" by resupplying at once or twice in towns.

We plan on parking a car at our end point, and my parents have offered to shuttle us to the starting point, if the drive isn't too far from their home in Richmond. Any favorite sections that meet these criteria? Given that we only have 4 full hiking days and we've done little training, it seems that 45 or 50 miles would be about right?

Can't go wrong with SNP but crowds could be an issue. Do you have a specific time frame?

Another stretch convenient to Richmond is south of SNP paralleling the Blue Ridge Parkway. Park your car at Humpback Rocks Visitor's Center, have your parents take you to the AT crossing at Rt. 60. The hike back to Humpback is 49 miles. One thing to consider though is that by hiking this north from Rt. 60, you're facing a 2,000' ascent right away in the first 2 1/2 miles and later, you have the 3,000' descent from The Priest and subsequent 3,000' ascent to Three Ridges (thus belying the notion that "Virginia is flat"). But you're both fit, right?

For time we're limited to June 27 to July 2. This includes a weekend, in the summer, near July 4th. That's three bits of bad news as we're trying to get some time away from people. I wouldn't mind meeting a few folks here and there, but I do recall how a peaceful night in the woods can so easily be ruined by college kids with radios and beer. Any favorite desolate sections south of Waynesboro?

I'll have to check out the Route 60 to Humpback rock hike. Sounds like it's a perfect length, and I know that section has some great hiking. Think it'll be crowded?

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by crackeleatlas View Post
    I'll have to check out the Route 60 to Humpback rock hike. Sounds like it's a perfect length, and I know that section has some great hiking. Think it'll be crowded?
    The Priest shelter can get loaded with groups since there is a road at the bottom of the hike up (it's a 3,000 foot hike up SOBO but who's counting) Your best bet to avoid the crowds is to not camp at shelters. That area down there is open for dispersed camping unlike SNP which requires that you sleep in the shelter and camp only if it's full and only in a very restricted fashion. Not sure about a resupply in that section though. You might need to carry all your grub for that whole section. Still, it's what I would recommend if you want to get away.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Yes, perhaps I'm asking too much, dreaming of getting away while also being within a couple days walking distance of people. I've done the Priest, Spy Rock, Three Ridges, Crabtree Falls, and those areas are beautiful and convenient, and naturally crowded. I haven't done much near Route 60 or the James River footbridge. How's that area?

Images

It's nice too. I don't recall anything that really sticks out to me in that section but it does get fairly remote so a nice area of "wilderness." You could consider trying to catch a hitch into Buena Vista as a possibly resupply option. But with only 4 days to hike that might be a bit too much of a time constraint.

How about between the Blue Ridge Parkway crossing at Mile 71.7 (of the BRP) near Punchbowl Shelter and Rt. 43. Distance of 46 miles, includes James River Crossing, Apple Orchard Mountain (>4,000'), the start at Rt. 43 is easier i.e. no 2,000' ascent at beginning. I'm not 100% sure that there's parking at the Punchbowl Mountain crossing of the BRP but hopefully, someone on WB will know. Much of trail is over 3,000', some over 4,000' so it will be a bit cooler although coming from Texas, it will all seem cool to you.

Don't think there's a good resupply place but do you really need to resupply on a hike of only 5 days?

Yes, some cool weather would be welcome indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Don't think there's a good resupply place but do you really need to resupply on a hike of only 5 days?
    It's not a matter of needing to resupply. But I've done months-long biking trips and weeks-long hiking trips, and I've found there's something special about being unshowered, meandering into a little slow-moving town in the mountains, having a meal if there's a restaurant or otherwise sitting on the front stoop of a convenience store and devouring the kind of food I wouldn't normally touch in my workaday life.

Another reason I'd like to resupply is that this is my girlfriend's first backpacking trip. It would be nice for her to see that she doesn't have to be limited in time or distance by what she can carry. That's empowering. Similarly, if we spend six days dwindling the food we brought from home and then go home as soon as we run out of our food from home, that feels like we've never left home. I've spent so many years having disdain for RVers who can't break away from home unless they bring their entire home with them--I don't want to do the same thing with my food on the AT.

By the way, from your description the Rte 43 to Punchbowl sounds nearly perfect. We'll look at it on the maps tonight.

Images

You might want to consider doing a hike that has Daleville/Troutdale as it's midpoint. Then you could hit your resupply in town and continue on. If you spent the night at the HoJos they accept mail drops as well.

Cookerhiker's suggestion of 43 to Punchbowl is a good one.

Another option you might consider is getting dropped off at the Belfast Trail, hiking past Devil's Marbleyard, connecting with the AT 2.8 miles south of Matts Creek Shelter, then taking the AT north to the US 56 crossing (Tye River). That would be 52.2 miles on the AT and about 3.2 miles on the Belfast Trail. Highlights would include Devil's Marbleyard, James River & the Foot Bridge, Fuller Rocks / Rocky Rows, Bluff Mountain, Brown Mountain Creek, Cold Mountain, Tar Jacket Ridge, Spy Rock, (Crabtree Falls off-trail), and the Priest. As far as trail towns, you could hitch into Glasgow or Big Island at US 501 (not much in either place, unfortunately), hitch into Buena Vista at US 60 (good town, but a long hitch at 9 miles), and walk into Montebello at the Fish Hatchery Road just before Spy Rock. I haven't been, but I've heard the Dutch Haus in Montebello is a very nice hostel, which might add to the replicated hiker experience. The only major drawback to the section for relative newbies is the rather hard climb from Brown Mountain Creek across US 60 and to the top of Bald Knob, which, insult to injury, isn't even bald (though Cold Mountain to its north is bald).

Oh, and the info. above about Shenandoah Nat'l Park not allowing dispersed camping is incorrect, just in case that weighs on your consideration. I think the poster was getting it confused with Great Smoky Mountains Nat'l Park. Shenandoah has a set of rules to follow about distances from trails, roads, water, etc., but does allow dispersed camping without having to max out shelters. In fact, they have signs up at some of the huts (shelters) saying that huts can only be used by people out for three or more nights.

Correction: I was just looking on the website for the Dutch Haus, and they are closing on June 24th for the rest of 2013. You could still hike into Montebello, though. Also, if you decide to go with the 43 to Punchbowl route, there is parking at Blue Ridge Parkway crossing at Punchbowl. But, if it were me, I would call the NPS to make sure they were cool with multi-night parking. I've seen cars there before, but you never know...

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    You might want to consider doing a hike that has Daleville/Troutdale as it's midpoint. Then you could hit your resupply in town and continue on. If you spent the night at the HoJos they accept mail drops as well.
    While he'd like to resupply, he also would like to avoid "civilization." I think Daleville is a good place to end or begin a hike like his but walking through all that sprawl in the middle of a hike could be a turnoff.

OK here's another. It's 48 miles north from Punchbowl to Reeds Gap. As I recall, there are no Blue Ridge Parkway crossings in that span. Assuming you can park at Reeds Gap (I think so from my recollection), you can start at Punchbowl and stop at Montebello for your resupply. As Southerner said, the Dutch Haus is closed in summer but according to the Companion, there's also a campground with showers and also featuring cabins and a small store. You may want to call the place first to see how much the store stocks but the Companion does say "long-term resupply."

Punchbowl is at Mile 51.7 of the BRP, Reeds Gap is at 13.6. You'll miss the James River but you'll hike over several 4,000 footers including The Priest.

Journal Entries
    Images

I just Hiked from Woods Hole to Buena Vista. It's was fairly Isolated with Great Views & camping along the way like Rice Field, Wind Rock, Dragons Tooth. I like Pearisburg to Four Pines Hostel myself ~Enjoy~
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Southerner View Post
    Cookerhiker's suggestion of 43 to Punchbowl is a good one.

Another option you might consider is getting dropped off at the Belfast Trail, hiking past Devil's Marbleyard, connecting with the AT 2.8 miles south of Matts Creek Shelter, then taking the AT north to the US 56 crossing (Tye River). That would be 52.2 miles on the AT and about 3.2 miles on the Belfast Trail. Highlights would include Devil's Marbleyard, James River & the Foot Bridge, Fuller Rocks / Rocky Rows, Bluff Mountain, Brown Mountain Creek, Cold Mountain, Tar Jacket Ridge, Spy Rock, (Crabtree Falls off-trail), and the Priest. As far as trail towns, you could hitch into Glasgow or Big Island at US 501 (not much in either place, unfortunately), hitch into Buena Vista at US 60 (good town, but a long hitch at 9 miles), and walk into Montebello at the Fish Hatchery Road just before Spy Rock. I haven't been, but I've heard the Dutch Haus in Montebello is a very nice hostel, which might add to the replicated hiker experience. The only major drawback to the section for relative newbies is the rather hard climb from Brown Mountain Creek across US 60 and to the top of Bald Knob, which, insult to injury, isn't even bald (though Cold Mountain to its north is bald).

Oh, and the info. above about Shenandoah Nat'l Park not allowing dispersed camping is incorrect, just in case that weighs on your consideration. I think the poster was getting it confused with Great Smoky Mountains Nat'l Park. Shenandoah has a set of rules to follow about distances from trails, roads, water, etc., but does allow dispersed camping without having to max out shelters. In fact, they have signs up at some of the huts (shelters) saying that huts can only be used by people out for three or more nights.
    This is what I was referring to: http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campbc_regs.htm It is very difficult along much of the AT in SNP to camp legally close to the AT itself as it follows Skyline Drive so closely. Rereading my post I may not have stated that very well. They do allow dispersed camping but within a strict set of guidelines. Can it be done? Yes. But it's much easier on other trails in the park, imo. This is definitely not to say that it's a hike to be avoided. Quite the opposite! But folks should make sure they're familiar with the backcountry regs as rangers do patrol the area.

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    I just Hiked from Woods Hole to Buena Vista. It's was fairly Isolated with Great Views & camping along the way like Rice Field, Wind Rock, Dragons Tooth. I like Pearisburg to Four Pines Hostel myself ~Enjoy~
    I like that area myself and often recommend it. However the problem for the OP is (1) it's more mileage than he'd like to do given his time period and (2) he wants a stretch closer to Richmond since his parents are shuttling him.

I've just returned from my getaway and I want to say a big hearty thank you to everyone who offered suggestions. I appreciated the thoughtful discussion and considerations of what I was looking for. We ended up going for Cookerhiker's suggestion of 43 to Punchbowl. It was absolutely perfect. Remote, nice views, swimmin' holes, and a good town stop in Glasgow. Best yet, I think my gal's hooked on hiking now. Thanks again all!

++ New Posts ++