WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Division 11, Prospect Pk to Hazen's Notch, Warmup?

Hi all,

Any opinions on using this section as a warm up to do longer combinations of sections later on? Starting at Cobble is too far away for me to execute a warm up two or three nighter. I thought the contours for Div. 11 looked doable. Thoughts appreciated. (I'm in my early 60's and been a while since hucking around a 30lb pack.) Thanks for advice and or alternatives. Gar

Thats actually a pretty tough section. I would plan on only going shelter to shelter. The problem is, there are no easy sections on the northen end of the LT. The Long Trail has "No Mercy".
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks for the 'heads-up' Slo-go'en

I've already done Journey's End to Hazen's Notch but 'some' time has passed since. Want to get my new Gregory Baltero pack on my back and my 3/4 shank boots on again.

Images

As was mentioned above, that's a tough section, but the sheer beauty of it might just push you through if anything else...

Thanks Nar Nar,

I saw a posting on GMC's FB newsfeed that the section from Big Branch to Wallingford was very pleasant. If it conditions me I could go as far as Rt. 4? (Div. 4)

Quote Originally Posted by oldnevada View Post
    I saw a posting on GMC's FB newsfeed that the section from Big Branch to Wallingford was very pleasant. If it conditions me I could go as far as Rt. 4? (Div. 4)
    Yes, that's a nice, reasonably easy section. The only serious climb is up to Killington, which isn't too bad, but the footing is a bit rough in places due to the hurricane damage a couple of years ago.

The only other "easy" section of the LT is just north of there, RT 4 to RT 125. These sections are mostly just "walk in the woods" with limited or no views to speak of. (With the exception of Killington)
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Do you mean Prospect Rock in Johnson?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Do you mean Prospect Rock in Johnson?
    If so, between Plot Rd and Codding Hollow Rd, you'll walk thru my woodlot. It gets tougher from there.

Thanks all for the terrific feedback. Yes, NCW (thank-you) and Deadeye, from Prospect Rock to Tillotson Cmp/Hazen's Notch.

It's been my experience from three trips that there is some comparatively easy territory between route 4 and Lincoln Gap - each time, whether NOBO or SOBO, I've had one of my highest mileage days in that area. For me, it's been easier than heading over Killington.
    Of course, part of the difficulty of a section is the mileage you want to make if you are trying to do the Hazen's Notch to Prospect traveling one shelter ahead each day, it might be reasonable as a warm up. With the exception of really rough terrain where you need hands and feet (as you will around Mansfield, for example) if you are in reasonable shape, the solution to tougher terrain is to accept fewer miles/day.

As far as northern sections of the LT go, this one's relatively easy. You have a good stiff climb up Belvidere, and a long descent from Haystack, (or vice versa of SOBO) but the section from Rte 15 to Rte 118 over Prospect Rock and Laraway Mtn. is pretty mellow. There are some excellent views (Prospect Rock, Laraway, Belvidere fire tower, Haystack), but you'll spend most of the time in the woods. Shelters are all in good shape, some quite new. Frequent water sources. You may also find a good deal of solitude... the aforementioned views will have dayhikers, and Corliss Camp is near Johnson State College, but the trail in between will be narrow and much less traveled.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Corliss Camp is near Johnson State College
    I learned this the hard way, on a chilling mid-October night we figured there was no way Corliss would have anyone else there... nope, a full "Outdoor Education" class from Johnson with a bunch of kids who were complaining and losing their minds after being out for only two days... it was comical.

Appreciate the advice and helping taking the uncertainty or cryptic feeling about the trail selections for me. I would like to do one section anyway between July 1 and July 3. Then do several more after July 4 week-end. You folks are terrific, thanks.So nice. I'm reading your suggestions and pouring over my LT maps/guide book Want to soak up as much as I can so things will have a familiarty however mild.

I forgot to mention that Roundtop Shelter's water supply is a pump well, and can be unreliable. Probably not going to be an issue this year, but something to be aware of. I'll stand by my comment that there are frequent water sources, but they're not always conveniently located! And Devil's gulch is a very cool place.

++ New Posts ++