WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 2 or 3 day loop ideas?

I am looking for a 3 or 4 day (2 or 3 night) loop that is in the 7-12 mile/day range. Anybody have recommendations for a route and campsites/shelters along the way? I have a map, so I just need some advice on where to go.

Images

grayson highlands, Mt Rogers area. So many loop possibilities as the AT almost doubles on itself. The scenery is awesome.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

The single best loop hike I've ever done (so far) in the Smokies is a 2 night loop from TwentyMile Ranger station to Gregory Bald.
    The distances for this loop are a little on the low end of what you are looking for, so I would suggest starting with Twentymile Trail. At the intersection with the AT and Lost Cove Trail, turn right and check out Shuckstack fire tower. Then head back up the AT and spend the 1st night at campsite 113. The second day, continue on the AT to Doe Knob, then turn left to go to Gregory Bald spending the 2nd night at #13 just a short distance from the bald. Then finish the loop with Wolf Ridge. With this trip, you'll get some great views from Shuckstack tower (if you're brave enough to climb the stairs) and Gregory Bald. What's also cool is that once you're on Gregory Bald, you can see Shuckstack tower (where you were the day before).

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Otherwise, some general advice on researching your map looking for a good trip:
    1. Most trails in the Smokies were originally build to get you somewhere. As a result, short "loop" hikes can be difficult to find. Your range of possibilites opens more than two fold if you can either hire a shuttle or hike with buddies and a 2nd car.
    2. Don't limit yourself to trails. You can use roads to complete a circle as well.

As an example, imagine someone looking for a 4-5 mile per night hike:
    Drive out Parson's Branch and park at the Gregory Bald trail head. Hike back down Parson's Brach Road (it's actually a nice little hike) and then hike up Gregory Ridge Trail to campsite #12. The 2nd day, hike to campsite #13. The third day is all down hill back to your car.

Here's a 2nd example (a way to do longer days, and still see Gregory Bald). Drive out Parson's Branch and park at the Gregory Bald trail head. Hike down Hannah Moutain Trail to #16. The second day, hike Rabbit Creek Trail. Then walk through the meadows by Cades Cove Visitor Center and down Forge Creek Road. Then hike up Gregory Ridge Trial to campsite #12. The thrid day, return to your car by way of Gregory Bald. An ambitious alternative would be to hike the entire lengthh of Hannah Moutain and spend the 1st night at #13. Then hike Abrams Falls Trai back to the road (Abram's Falls is one of the prettiest water falls in the park imho) and over to camp site #12.

Smokys Route.JPG

Did this about two years ago. Started south from Clingman's Dome. Stayed at 70, 26, 23. Fun, challenging, full of ups and downs as well as stream crossings. Totals about 40 miles.

08032011102.jpg08012011079.jpg08022011088.jpg

Just a couple diff pics to supplement my above post. From left to right: On the A.T. between Cling and Silers; long grass walks between sites 70 and 26; multiple stream crossings (this one had a bridge)

Hope this helps

Images

I apologize for my ignorant answer above. I use the "what's new" link to see what has been posted, and I failed to notice the OP's question was posted in the Great Smoky Mountain section! I will be more careful next time

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by srvand02 View Post
    Did this about two years ago. Started south from Clingman's Dome. Stayed at 70, 26, 23.
    Make sure you check out the terrain with something like Google Earth before you start a hike like this. It looks pretty simple just looking at the map. But the hike from #70 upto the AT is a 3000' change in elevation, as is the hike from #23 back to Clingman's dome. Additionally, the hike down Forney Creek Trail includes five water crossings that are among the most difficult in the park (and from what I've read, the creek crossing on Jonas Creek are just as challenging). You'll notice the upper left section of your map says something about "Stream Crossings" and marks these two trails with **. It says Forney Creek Trail has seven crossings, but I seem to recall only five of them to be a challenge (at least over the section you would hike for this loop). The time I hiked Forney Creek Trail was during a period of low water. As an adult, the crossings were not too difficult. But they were a (fun?) challenge getting a 10yo across them. A part of the problem is that the stream bed is basically a bunch of large bolders. Compared to my hike, water levels in the park are currently up, they've been getting some good rainfall so far this year. But then again, these are all the reasons srvand02 listed the hike as "Fun, challenging".

Journal Entries

South of GSMNP, the Standing Indian portion of the AT is in North Carolina, just north or the Georgia state line. It's a great area for doing multi-night loop hikes. The AT follows ridges that loop around the basin that holds the Forest Service's Standing Indian Campground, a good place to leave your vehicle. In contrast to GSMNP, Standing Indian does not require fee payment or backpacking permits, nor is back country camping restricted just to select locations there.

HooKooDooku is right about the stream crossings; during my first day it started to rain and I watched the water levels slowly rise. I tried to boot it across some boulders on the third or fourth one but slipped and went into the drink. There truly is no flat bed to these streams: They are usually big rocks supplemented by bigger rocks. Without my boots (going barefoot) I stubbed a toe or two that had gotten caught in tight wedges.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by srvand02 View Post
    Without my boots (going barefoot) I stubbed a toe or two that had gotten caught in tight wedges.
    That's why I always carry water-crossing shoes - some light-weight walmart crock-knockoffs clipped to the back of my pack.

Images

a nice trip I did once was start at smokemont head up bradley for to A T stay at pecks then around to laurel gap shelter. then down through round bottom and up over hyatt ridge, you can go to site 47 on the raven fork. you will be in the finest lttle site in the smokies IMO. then up and over hughes ridge and down to smokemont.
    alot of ups in these days bradley fork is no joke and hyatt is pretty hard too.

This isn't on the AT but it looks like a good loop hike for this time of year, lots of water, 33.5 miles, clasified as an "easier" hike, elevation starts around 2500 and goes to 5000 at the Blueridge Parkway, trailhead is about 10 miles outside Brevard, NC,
    img009.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by gollwoods View Post
    a nice trip I did once was start at smokemont head up bradley for to A T stay at pecks then around to laurel gap shelter. then down through round bottom and up over hyatt ridge, you can go to site 47 on the raven fork. you will be in the finest lttle site in the smokies IMO. then up and over hughes ridge and down to smokemont.
    alot of ups in these days bradley fork is no joke and hyatt is pretty hard too.
    Yes that's a good loop. Challenging for sure with all the elevation change. But cs 47 is a gem for sure. Big noisy water, huge boulders, swimming holes right at the cs. Also, there's a good chance you wouldn't see anyone else for the last ~25 miles of your trip. That section of the park is empty.

Or for a slightly shorter, less challenging hike. you could park at newfound gap. Hike the AT north staying at ice water for a short 1st day. 2nd night at pecks corner. Then Take Hughes ridge down to cs 49. The up dry sluice gap back to the AT. A couple of different options to make a longer 3rd and 4th day if you wanted,too.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    ...the hike down Forney Creek Trail includes five water crossings that are among the most difficult in the park (and from what I've read, the creek crossing on Jonas Creek are just as challenging).
    I did the Forney Creek/Jonas Creek loop this weekend. The Jonas Creek crossings were significantly easier than the Forney Creek crossings.

++ New Posts ++