Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    Default Smilies disabled in Photo-comment section

    Am I doing something wrong or are the smilies not working in the photo-comment section. I ask because I need smilies or else I piss people off with my comments...I'm so misunderstood.


    But then again, I piss people off even with copious use of smilies normally, so probably doesn't matter. It's not my fault, hikers are just fat lazy miserable people

  2. #2
    Administrator attroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-03-2002
    Location
    Denmark, Maine, United States
    Age
    58
    Posts
    5,376
    Journal Entries
    201
    Images
    459

    Default

    There are no smilies on the gallery area.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

    Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

  3. #3

    Default

    There are not any smilies if you just type a comment in the message block and hit "Leave Comment".

    However, if you hit any of the following buttons you do get the table of smilies: "Go Advanced", "Edit" or "Quote". But when you select them they won't appear in the post.

    And I don't have the "Disable smilies in text" box checked off below, but I did try just to see if it made a difference, but no difference.

  4. #4

    Default

    I've noticed that I cannot not leave comments in the photo gallery (as of today). I did notice that the last comments were left just three days ago, so I'm not sure if this problem is on my end or with the site.

    Anyone else having problems leaving comments in the gallery?

  5. #5

    Default

    I never have understood why anyone needs smileys, dancing bananas, etc. to effectively communicate.

  6. #6
    4eyedbuzzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-02-2007
    Location
    Rhome, TX / Monroe, NH
    Age
    61
    Posts
    7,384
    Images
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    I never have understood why anyone needs smileys, dancing bananas, etc. to effectively communicate.
    It's not the authors that need the smileys to communicate, as they obviously understand their voice and intent. But often times readers misinterpret humor (especially dry wit), sarcasm, ribbing, etc. Smileys are for the readers who often can't read between the lines. Online forums are like conversations but without body language. Often, words alone cannot communicate a writer's intent, and readers have varying degrees of ability in interpreting that intent without the aid of smileys.

  7. #7
    Administrator attroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-03-2002
    Location
    Denmark, Maine, United States
    Age
    58
    Posts
    5,376
    Journal Entries
    201
    Images
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    I've noticed that I cannot not leave comments in the photo gallery (as of today). I did notice that the last comments were left just three days ago, so I'm not sure if this problem is on my end or with the site.

    Anyone else having problems leaving comments in the gallery?
    I am looking into this right now. Now sure what caused this but I am looking into it.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

    Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    It's not the authors that need the smileys to communicate, as they obviously understand their voice and intent. But often times readers misinterpret humor (especially dry wit), sarcasm, ribbing, etc. Smileys are for the readers who often can't read between the lines. Online forums are like conversations but without body language. Often, words alone cannot communicate a writer's intent, and readers have varying degrees of ability in interpreting that intent without the aid of smileys.
    Every English teacher I ever had would have disagreed that they were necessary, and given me an "F" for using them.

  9. #9
    4eyedbuzzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-02-2007
    Location
    Rhome, TX / Monroe, NH
    Age
    61
    Posts
    7,384
    Images
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Every English teacher I ever had would have disagreed that they were necessary, and given me an "F" for using them.
    I agree, in an English or Composition class that would be typical. But in the everyday world, outside of academia, and in conversational and informal communication, most people simply aren't skilled enough to convey and/or interpret the written word at that high a level. And even the works of great writers are interpreted differently by scholars, who often have widely varying opinions on intent and meaning. Note the works of Joyce as just one example, although latitude in interpretation may have well been his intent anyway. I would add that any living language changes over time. Who is to say that language should be limited to a collection of the existing 26 letters and established punctuation? Who is to say that smileys shouldn't be used if they aid in communicating a writer's ideas and intent? Why can't we add characters, or punctuation to the alphabet? Note the Oxford comma situation. Languages evolve over time. Smileys, emoticons, and emojis are part of the evolving digital age language. /devil's advocate
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 01-06-2016 at 19:43.

  10. #10
    Administrator attroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-03-2002
    Location
    Denmark, Maine, United States
    Age
    58
    Posts
    5,376
    Journal Entries
    201
    Images
    459

    Default

    This should all be working again now. You should be able to leave comments again.
    Thank you for pointing this out.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

    Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I agree, in an English or Composition class that would be typical. But in the everyday world, outside of academia, and in conversational and informal communication, most people simply aren't skilled enough to convey and/or interpret the written word at that high a level. And even the works of great writers are interpreted differently by scholars, who often have widely varying opinions on intent and meaning. Note the works of Joyce as just one example, although latitude in interpretation may have well been his intent anyway. I would add that any living language changes over time. Who is to say that language should be limited to a collection of the existing 26 letters and established punctuation? Who is to say that smileys shouldn't be used if they aid in communicating a writer's ideas and intent? Why can't we add characters, or punctuation to the alphabet? Note the Oxford comma situation. Languages evolve over time. Smileys, emoticons, and emojis are part of the evolving digital age language. /devil's advocate
    I'd also add some languages have characters to convey complete ideas. On a different note and playing devils advacate my self, I asked a kid the other day what "app" stood for...he didn't know.

  12. #12
    4eyedbuzzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-02-2007
    Location
    Rhome, TX / Monroe, NH
    Age
    61
    Posts
    7,384
    Images
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I'd also add some languages have characters to convey complete ideas. On a different note and playing devils advacate my self, I asked a kid the other day what "app" stood for...he didn't know.
    You should have told him that there was an app for that (not knowing).

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I am looking into this right now. Now sure what caused this but I am looking into it.
    Hey, I just noticed that the are working in the photo gallery

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •