Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-29-2006
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Age
    56
    Posts
    2,018

    Default World Class Beer near the LT

    Since I finished section hiking the AT I have been focused on the PCT but my beer snobbery has led me to discover that three of the best breweries in the country are located in northern Vermont. Those breweries are The Alchemist, Hill Farmstead, and Lawson's.

    I may have to hit the LT this summer. If you enjoy great beer in addition to hiking hit up those places if you get the chance.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    Since I finished section hiking the AT I have been focused on the PCT but my beer snobbery has led me to discover that three of the best breweries in the country are located in northern Vermont. Those breweries are The Alchemist, Hill Farmstead, and Lawson's.

    I may have to hit the LT this summer. If you enjoy great beer in addition to hiking hit up those places if you get the chance.
    I don't know where the LT is specifically... But I would imagine Long Trail Brewing is near there (it's just outside of Rutland, VT.) They have some pretty top notch beers, IMO. Their IPA and their Hibernator are among my all time favorites.

  3. #3

    Default

    The LT continues another 170 miles beyond the Rt. 4 crossing outside Rutland. That's a lot of miles to lug beer so one must rely on local brews available although I'd imagine Long Trail Brewing products are sold throughout Vermont. I also suspect the brews cited by Fred are excellent.

  4. #4

    Default

    The Inn at the Long Trail has some good beer on tap and don't forget to get some Irish stew while your there. The Hydeway near Waitsfield also has a good selection of quality beer and good food. My bar/meal tab there was over $50, but worth every penny
    The AT - It has it's ups and downs...

  5. #5
    Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.
    Join Date
    12-13-2004
    Location
    Essex, Vermont
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,259

    Default

    Long Trail products can be found at any grocery store in VT, lucky for us! The Alchemist brew pub was wiped out by flooding casued by Hurricane Irene, but they still produce their wonderful Heady Topper in cans. It's available in 4-packs in select stores in VT, but you really need to have inside information to get it since it flies off the shelves so fast. Stores tend to set per-customer limits. Many restaurants carry it. Hill Farmstead and Lawson's are available at the Three Penny Taproom in Montpelier, among other places. Enjoy!

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-15-2011
    Location
    Lowell, MA
    Posts
    1,283

    Default

    Yes, Alchemist's Heady Topper is among the most sought-after beers from the East these days.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    05-28-2007
    Location
    northern virginia
    Age
    73
    Posts
    684
    Images
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Long Trail products can be found at any grocery store in VT, lucky for us! The Alchemist brew pub was wiped out by flooding casued by Hurricane Irene, but they still produce their wonderful Heady Topper in cans. It's available in 4-packs in select stores in VT, but you really need to have inside information to get it since it flies off the shelves so fast. Stores tend to set per-customer limits. Many restaurants carry it. Hill Farmstead and Lawson's are available at the Three Penny Taproom in Montpelier, among other places. Enjoy!

    ....but, you can go to the brewery and buy all you want anytime its open.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-07-2011
    Location
    Albany, Ny
    Age
    33
    Posts
    135

    Default

    May I also recommend Switchback? You can only find their beers on tap as far as I know, but they make some great brews.
    Otter Creek has some tasty beers, the Black IPA specifically.

    Can't forget Magic Hat too!

  9. #9

    Default

    Switchback out of Burlington is one of the best Ale's. Not a Magic Hat fan. Long Trail makes good variety. Always a great choice. Look forward to hitting the N VT breweries

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-29-2006
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Age
    56
    Posts
    2,018

    Default

    Forgot I made this post. Long Trail is good but pedestrian in the grand scheme of things. So is Magic Hat. Heady Topper is the bomb.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-29-2006
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Age
    56
    Posts
    2,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lando11 View Post
    May I also recommend Switchback? You can only find their beers on tap as far as I know, but they make some great brews.
    Otter Creek has some tasty beers, the Black IPA specifically.

    Can't forget Magic Hat too!
    Saw you're in NY. Have you had a Flower Power? If not - go find some.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

  12. #12

    Default

    they had Lawsons Triple IPA on tap at Localfolk Smokehouse in Waitsfield while we were thru-hiking in october ... it was like drinking a mug of heaven straight from an angel's nipple

    Alchemist Heady Topper is one of the tastiest beverages i've ever had ... tough to get, even from the brewery ... the truck that delivers Heady Topper to nearby outlets has a line of cars following it, like a funeral procession, only the people in the cars are happy ... if you aren't in the store when they deliver, you're outta luck ...

    haven't had the pleasure of trying Hill Farmstead ... thanks for the tip !
    "In that cool mountain air, on an Appalachian Trail; Life is better there!" - Yonder Mountain String Band

  13. #13
    PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014
    Join Date
    11-27-2011
    Location
    Tucson
    Age
    31
    Posts
    778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    Long Trail is good but pedestrian in the grand scheme of things. So is Magic Hat.
    Thanks for being the first to say it so I didn't have to. Both of them are one step above macros, but that's where the compliments end. I was underwhelmed by offerings at the Inn at Long Trail, but people seemed to be enjoying it so I didn't say anything.

    /end of snobbery
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

    "The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

    http://www.scrubhiker.com/

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-15-2011
    Location
    Lowell, MA
    Posts
    1,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    Forgot I made this post. Long Trail is good but pedestrian in the grand scheme of things. So is Magic Hat. Heady Topper is the bomb.
    Agreed.................

  15. #15
    Registered User Papa D's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-23-2008
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,850
    Images
    7

    Default

    McGrath's Irish Pub is a must stop at on an LT End to End Hike - - we had so very much fun there in '10. Fredmugs called the Long Trail Ale "pedestrian" which for a hiker, I'd say is a high-compliment - I'm not a beer snob, but after walking 105 miles in VT without one, it sure was delicious.

  16. #16

    Default

    Hitch into Burlington and you won't be disappointed. I got a ride from the PO within 20 minutes. Farmhouse Tap & Grill had one of the best draft beer selections of any bar I've been to. Evil Twins biscotti break imperial stout paired with the grills home made blueberry pie with Bourbon vanilla ice cream is one of the BEST beer/food pairings I've ever eaten. I still dream about it and my thru was in July. I spent 3 days in Burlington and spent more money there than on the rest of the LT combined!!!

  17. #17

    Default

    There's a pub in Johnson that only charges 25 cents for the first Switchback draft to LT hikers.
    The AT - It has it's ups and downs...

  18. #18
    Registered User Yukon's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-25-2007
    Location
    Cambridge, New York
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,224
    Images
    21

    Default

    I have Heady Topper in my fridge always. I make a trip every two weeks to get a few cases from the brewery on the day they can it. I get up to see Shaun at Hill Farmstead about once a month or so to have growlers filled with Abner and other great beers he makes. Lawson's is a little tougher to come by because of such limited batches and bottling, but it can be found at the Warren store or the Hunger Mountan CO-OP.

    Long Trail makes decent beer, but nothing in the same league as the afformentioned brewers...

  19. #19
    Registered User Papa D's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-23-2008
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,850
    Images
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    There's a pub in Johnson that only charges 25 cents for the first Switchback draft to LT hikers.
    Is that the Long Trail Tavern? It was closed when we went through.

  20. #20

    Default

    I don't know where the LT is specifically... But I would imagine Long Trail Brewing is near there (it's just outside of Rutland, VT.) They have some pretty top notch beers, IMO. Their IPA and their Hibernator are among my all time favorites.
    As I read this post, I was in a Vermont motel and had just cracked open a Long Trail Pale Ale. It is pretty good.
    Formerly uhfox

    Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •