WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Grand Canyon of PA

Anybody have a profile map for the West Rim Trail? I'm thinking of doing this in a weekend, which sounds doable. Just trying to see how steep this trail actually is. Any advice from anyone who has done it is always appreciated. Thanks!
    "I don't see what that's got to do with catchin' birds." ~The Kid

Doing the trail in a weekend is easily doable. Pine creek outfitters makes a guide and map which includes the elevation profile as well as suggested campsites. I did the trail over two days a couple Octobers ago. Overall it is not terribly difficult. The only big climb is at the southern end. Otherwise the climbs are not that steep and most of them are only two to four hundred feet at most since you are always on the plateau above the canyon. There are plenty of places to camp and water was not an issue when we did the trail.

Images

I did this trail last year, great fun and not very difficult.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've done the West Rim Trail many times, as well as many of the other trails in that area. It is a very easy trail. From the south, there is a bit of a climb up to the ridge, and then it basically stays there the rest of the way. It is one of my favorite easy hikes. There is water everywhere, some great overlooks, and the Pine Creek Outfitters folks are great. They have a trail map you can buy and they'll shuttle you to the southern end and you can walk back to your car.

An even better hike is the Black Forest Trail loop. That is longer and more challenging, but my favorite hike in that area.

Stop at Pine Creek Outfitters on Rt#6 and you can get the latest trail map with elevation profiles for $4.00. The trail guide with map is a lot more. Only one mile gains more than 500' of elevation and that's at the north end. If you start at the south end (Rattlesnake Rocks) it's a longer and a more moderate elevation gain, but not easy. Overall it's not a particularly hard trail if you're in shape. I've hiked it in 10 1/2 hours for the hell of it.

Excellent, sounds like it shouldn't be much of a problem. I'm planning on getting a shuttle to the Southern end and hiking North. Attempted the BFT a few years ago when I was first getting into more backpacking sa opposed to day hikes. Oh boy did that thing kick my butt- but I'll be back at it sooner or later to finish it.
    "I don't see what that's got to do with catchin' birds." ~The Kid

Serial Hiker
    Images
    perrito

684.4 down, 1507.6 to go.

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

I second checking out PAhikes.com. There's tons of hikes on there. I live in State College and that's pretty much my goto site to find hikes in PA. I haven't done that trail, yet...

Thread drifting. No matter where I am and how many times I've heard places described as the Grand Canyon there is but one Grand Canyon that deserves that title above all other so described grand canyons. You might of heard of it. It's in northern AZ.

http://www.wimp.com/canyonviews/

PA is an amazing state for hiking, my favourite is the Susquehannock Trail, but there are a couple thousand miles of shorter trails in the state...keep in mind that cracking is destroying the area, so you might want to get out there sooner rather than later. I would hate to see this area in 10 years.

Whoops... 'fracking'

I also give two thumbs up for the Black Forest Trail.
    The only (very minor) problem I had was parking at the trailhead - I had no idea that area was such a huge draw for trout fishermen.

Images

http://pgcmaps.pa.gov/pgcpublicviewer/

Pa Game Commission Map Center. I use it weekly. You can quickly switch between road maps, topo maps, and satellite images. You can also print maps. Its a fantastic resource. West Rim Trail can be seen on the USGS topo map. I hiked this trail a few years back (I used the shuttle provided by Pine Creek Outfitters in Ansonia). Many beautiful views of Pine Creek Gorge. Enjoy...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by oruacat2 View Post
    I also give two thumbs up for the Black Forest Trail.
    The only (very minor) problem I had was parking at the trailhead - I had no idea that area was such a huge draw for trout fishermen.
    Yes indeed, I've been all over this general area....trout fishin'....really nice country

We did the West Rim in mid-October one year - a fantastic time to hike it with all the maples changing color. It is easily doable in a weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Thread drifting. No matter where I am and how many times I've heard places described as the Grand Canyon there is but one Grand Canyon that deserves that title above all other so described grand canyons. You might of heard of it. It's in northern AZ.

http://www.wimp.com/canyonviews/
    Linville Gorge just to be a pain in your butt!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    PA is an amazing state for hiking, my favourite is the Susquehannock Trail, but there are a couple thousand miles of shorter trails in the state...keep in mind that cracking is destroying the area, so you might want to get out there sooner rather than later. I would hate to see this area in 10 years.

Fracking is not coal mining... and no its not destroying the area... It will be the same in ten years.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I've been talking to some extended family about doing a hike in that area (Grand Canyon Pa). Any suggestions on family friendly 2-3 day hikes? There will be 4 kids ages 5-9.

Journal Entries
    Images

Nutbrown there is lots to do... but its a plateau with a deep flat gorge. You have a 60+ mile railroad converted into a rail to trail... so take the bikes... The climb to the Plateau on several trails is steap for most kids.. bring the bathing suits.

Leonard Harrisman State Park
    Colton Point Park
    Jersey Shore is the closest town

Little Pine State Park camping is a favorite of mine.
    Tioga County

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=penns...en&sa=N&tab=wl
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Although its a drive to the east Ricketts Glenn State park should not be missed by children... the falls trail and bathing in the pools is a liquid joy of PA.

Woo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++