WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Congratulations!!! You can do it!!! It's the best thing for you and for everyone around you. Right now is probably tough, as your system is clearing out the remaining poisons. But that gets easier. Be strong! You'll be amazed at food flavors and at the wonderful smells in the outdoors. It's been over 30 years for me, but I acknowledge that I'm an addict. One smoke today would be 2 tomorrow, and a pack- a- day by next week. Coffee and beer were difficult "triggers" for me, but I have won that battle... and I haven't dreamed I was smoking in a long time. Bottom line is that it ain't easy, but you can quit. I know you can quit, and I'm cheering for you.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoffeect View Post
    after being a pack to a pack and half a day smoker for the better part thirty years.
    I havent smoked for two days now. so far so good. I think I got it beat this time.

Images

Cricket 71, just posted a pic of my one consequence of stop smoking.................I quit in 2000.....and I've gained 18ish pounds since. I guess the fat belly is better than lung cancer!
    It kind of works as a counter weight to all the crap I carry in my pack!

http://bamahiker.blog.com/ Freedom Walker's Avatar
    Images

Great news, keep it up! Hikers know that you don't see very many cigarette butts very far away from a trailhead for a reason. Most smokers can't make it very far. Esp in the mountains.
    Freedom Walker, I am free to Walk, I am free to Run, I m free to live for You Lord Jesus, I am FREE!

He who the Son sets free, is free indeed.
    Visit my blog Free To Hike

Congrats to you mrcoffeect for your decision to improve your health and following through on it!
    Congrats to all the ex-smokers in this thread.
    All the best to all of you!
    Trillium

way to go!! I quit 3 years ago when the granddaughter was born...hard but oh so worth it!!!

Congrats!

i quit Easter Sunday 1991, and have been reminded over and over again how thankful I am to have. You are ot going to believe how much better you feel! Food will taste better, you will be able to do so much more... And ot have to worry about running out of smokes!

going to have to figure out some new gear to buy to be able to spend all that money you will be saving too.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Walker View Post
    Great news, keep it up! Hikers know that you don't see very many cigarette butts very far away from a trailhead for a reason. Most smokers can't make it very far. Esp in the mountains.
    Funny you say that, while normally I would agree that's true there was one year, either 2010 or 2011 where I swear that every other thru hiker I saw was smoking, usually hand rolled cigarettes too (which is even more unusual). All my hiking is done between miles 1300-1600, so these were folks who were in it for the long haul. I was shocked that so many smokers made it so far.

On a side note, I was really impressed by how most of the thru hikers that smoked regular cigarettes placed their used cigarette butts in a ziplock and didn't litter, very unusual to see a smoker do that.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

What helped me... There is probably something expensive you want, maybe a cuben tarp? a new down quilt? Get a jar, and every time you have the urge to go buy a pack, take that $5-8 and stuff the jar. Pick a time goal, 6months or a year, then pull all the $ out and go shopping! ....but if you cheat and have a cig, all the $ goes to charity. The 1st time you hand over $100 to said charity will definitely reinforce your desire to quit!

Good luck! You can do it, it's hard as hell, but you can push through!

Journal Entries

after being a pack to a pack and half a day smoker for the better part thirty years.
    I havent smoked for two days now. so far so good. I think I got it beat this time.
    so, mr coffeeeeeect, how's it going? you've gotten some great support and encouragement on this thread. we want to help push/pull/carry you all the way to the finish line, but we gotta make sure we're still with you. so let us know if you're on day 4, or if you went back to the starting line (if you did, it's ok, we'll go back with you, and start again!)
    it's a beautiful day to breathe!

Images

Congratulations!Hang in there it, is one to the toughest things you will ever do.

smoke free since 2000 myself and I will let you know my motiivation

I save and bank all my cig money, and on March 1 each year I have $1,100 to spend on whatever I want.
    Kayak, canoe, cool hiking stuff,
    That is what I saved a year in 2,000 by now I know that the price of cigs has doubled so you are looking at $1,825 at a pack a day for 365 days. ($5)

March 1 is now better than christmas and I can think all year about what I am going to buy with the savings.

I quit on Jan. 1, 1988. I smoked my last cigarette the night before I ran my first marathon. It was very hard but oh so worth it. Congrats to you and stay strong. It will be one of the most difficult tasks that you attempt. But you will succeed. You cannot afford not to.

Images

Thank you all for the encouraging words. workin on four days now. luckily I can say the cravings are more like fleeting twinges that come and go. my goal is if I can make it to the end of the month, im going to take off to Mt Greylock the 29 of June and hike north to maine. 600 hundred miles of trail is the carrot hanging in front of me keeping me strong. you couldn't even force me at gun point to smoke a cigarette now, " HEY mister coffee what are you going to do now that you beat cigarettes. Im goin to Disney..... scratch that im goin to the Appalachian trail.

Journal Entries

Yes!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all for the encouraging words. workin on four days now. luckily I can say the cravings are more like fleeting twinges that come and go. my goal is if I can make it to the end of the month, im going to take off to Mt Greylock the 29 of June and hike north to maine. 600 hundred miles of trail is the carrot hanging in front of me keeping me strong. you couldn't even force me at gun point to smoke a cigarette now, " HEY mister coffee what are you going to do now that you beat cigarettes. Im goin to Disney..... scratch that im goin to the Appalachian trail.

Images

eleven days now. and no lookin back

eleven days now. and no lookin back
    I'm at 3 months. It gets much easier and my hiking has improved greatly. Almost 20 miles in the White mountains the other day with a full pack.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    I'm at 3 months. It gets much easier and my hiking has improved greatly. Almost 20 miles in the White mountains the other day with a full pack.
    nice, congrats on three months. I can't wait to take the "new me" for a spin up the trail. leavin in couple weeks. But im bettin im gonna need a week or two of all day cardio to really start to feel the effects of not smoking.

Journal Entries
    Images

Oh wow just saw this hang in there and try not to explode at people.... a natural side affect. Good Luck.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

http://bamahiker.blog.com/ Freedom Walker's Avatar
    Images

nice, congrats on three months. I can't wait to take the "new me" for a spin up the trail. leavin in couple weeks. But im bettin im gonna need a week or two of all day cardio to really start to feel the effects of not smoking.
    I may get into trouble for this, but this is one way you can avoid paying some taxes. Just something else to keep you going.
    Freedom Walker, I am free to Walk, I am free to Run, I m free to live for You Lord Jesus, I am FREE!

He who the Son sets free, is free indeed.
    Visit my blog Free To Hike

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Walker View Post
    I may get into trouble for this, but this is one way you can avoid paying some taxes. Just something else to keep you going.
    shhhhh your gonna get us all audited

doin great Mr.coffee...you too Rasty

I'm comin up on 9 yeaars no smoking, after 27 years, and I feel great!

July 4th, 2003 was on vacation at the beach, and ended up in the hospital for 5 days...it was time to quit, best move ever....keep goin boys!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++