WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Trail Maintenance Volunteer Call

I just started this new forum so that trail organizations can post notices asking for trail maintainers for open sections, post notices about work crews (Like Hardcore) and other vital information to help keep our trails open and in working order.

To the trail organizations and maintainers:
    My personal feeling is that there are a lot of folks out there that want to help with trail maintenance but don't know how to get involved, this is the place to help them.

And to the hikers:
    Trail maintenance is very fun and even more rewarding at the end of the day. Try it, once the bug has bit you, you will never look at hiking the same way.

Recommended format:

Who: Point of contact with contact information for person sponsoring and/or organizing the work.

What: Type of call i.e. trail maintainer opening, work call for a work trip, etc.

When: Time and date for link up plus duration of the work.

Where: Trail name, link up site, and general description of the area to be worked on.

Why/How: post pertinent information such as bring a lunch, bring gloves, long pants, water needed - none on the section, etc.
    Last edited by SGT Rock; 07-16-2005 at 23:33.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

HOOAH Rock,

i want to help anywhere in the GA AT area as well as the NC side near GA. i got gear and a chainsaw, the skills and endurance to help. give me a reason to be in the mountains!!!
    There are two wolves that battle in every mans' heart, love and hate, the winner is the one fed the most.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Thank you, Rock. This has been needed for a long time.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bswilarmy View Post
    HOOAH Rock,

i want to help anywhere in the GA AT area as well as the NC side near GA. i got gear and a chainsaw, the skills and endurance to help. give me a reason to be in the mountains!!!
    Contact the GATC for trail maintenance in Georgia - http://www.georgia-atclub.org/ , the Nantahala Hiking Club for maintenance from NC/GA state line to NOC (no good web link found) , or the Smoky Mountains Hiking Club for maintenance from NOC to north of the Smokys - http://www.smhclub.org/ .

Default NHC Web Address

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    Contact the GATC for trail maintenance in Georgia - http://www.georgia-atclub.org/ , the Nantahala Hiking Club for maintenance from NC/GA state line to NOC (no good web link found) , or the Smoky Mountains Hiking Club for maintenance from NOC to north of the Smokys - http://www.smhclub.org/ .
    If interested, here is a good web address for the Nantahala Hiking Club http://www.maconcommunity.org/nhc/
    I was a member for several years and maintained the section from Deep Gap to Carter Gap Shelter for 5 years. I really enjoyed it and would still be doing it if I were able and still in the proximate area.

Images

Thanks For The Links!!!
    There are two wolves that battle in every mans' heart, love and hate, the winner is the one fed the most.

Whiteblaze links section for Nantahala Hiking Club needs to be fixed (change .com to .org)

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    Whiteblaze links section for Nantahala Hiking Club needs to be fixed (change .com to .org)
    Thanks HOI, got it fixed.

Chicken Feathers Chicken Feathers's Avatar

Default maintance help

If anyone can help I am taking in a barrel for chips for privy getting ready for the thru hiking season. We will meet at Hightower Gap at 9:00am Sunday on FS 42. Have enough chips to go around
    The mountains are calling and I have to go

Merry Hikester

I will be thru hiking this year and will be available whenever I am near some. I'll be at hardcore fo sho.
    Disclaimer: I didn't mean that......I realy love you all.

I am a college student and am looking to hook up with a trail crew for the duration of my summer. I will be hiking for a month, until about June 1st.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dholmblad View Post
    I am a college student and am looking to hook up with a trail crew for the duration of my summer. I will be hiking for a month, until about June 1st.
    Would you be interested in Konnarock?
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    Would you be interested in Konnarock?
    I found that site just before I saw this post. Should I just apply online there?

I am first looking at an opportunities that have some sort of hourly pay, as I am a college student.. I did submit an application for Konnarock.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dholmblad View Post
    I am first looking at an opportunities that have some sort of hourly pay, as I am a college student.. I did submit an application for Konnarock.
    AT trail maintenance is done by volunteers. There are a few paid positions with the Konnarock crew but it's not hourly pay. Crew members may get a small honorarium, contact them about that because I could well be wrong. Even if so it's not much.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

It seems to me that this thread that SR started in 05 should see more activity. Not enough is said about this little activity known as trail maintenance.
    Here is a pretty good intro by SR into the world of TM. Part two of the video is the most important part. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyFFS...feature=relmfu
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Just send me and Mountain Squid any future trail maintenance workdates, and they get posted the home page.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    It seems to me that this thread that SR started in 05 should see more activity. Not enough is said about this little activity known as trail maintenance.
    Here is a pretty good intro by SR into the world of TM. Part two of the video is the most important part. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyFFS...feature=relmfu
    12 Aug 17 : The video is no longer available
    "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
    - Groucho Marx

WhiteBlaze.net HammockForums.net Click''s Trail Journal

Default Are you tough enough?

Looking for volunteers to tackle trail maintenance on "the toughest trail in Georgia", the Duncan Ridge Trail. If you've been thinking that it's time for you to give back to the trail, but you want the thrill of taking on only the toughest challenges, we have a spot for you. PM me for more details, if interested. No experience necessary.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    It was going solid for a couple years with a Front Page schedule of events. But High Priority Trail News (crime/deaths/fires/weather) started to take the Front Page over.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++