WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    The Rangers don't mess with civilians when they are out doing maneuvers. There's no way a Ranger would take a backpack that was hanging on the shelter wall.
    I really was just jesting in a dry sort of way--you know how concerned everyone is these days with the possibilty of "loaded" backpacks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    I really was just jesting in a dry sort of way--you know how concerned everyone is these days with the possibilty of "loaded" backpacks.
    I give the alien origin more credit than a ranger origin in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    im pretty sure you're right, maybe a ghost of a bear-hence no damage to the pack.
    polterbear?
    I've heard of bears opening zippers without damaging the pack.

:banana

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    kookork, its a story, just a story. and without more details, its hard to swallow.it would be hard for a bear to carrry a pack ,thinking there was food inside,and not do any damage to the pack whatsoever,certainly would have been digging through the pockets if he scented food..
    perhaps the op can enlighten us as to where exactly the pack was found, whether there was bearsign around or any other evidence that would let him to conclude it was a bear. all we know is he woke up to find his pack 150 yards away from wear he hung it.he never said he saw either a bear or any sign of bear.
    innocent until proven guilty.
    im sure it was a chipmunk, maybe a rabbit.What other animal would be able to carry the pack....come on!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mattmais View Post
    im sure it was a chipmunk, maybe a rabbit.What other animal would be able to carry the pack....come on!
    ummm...human?

Images

Hopefully it was 150' in the correct direction, free slackpacks are the best.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mattmais View Post
    A deer. I know a thru hiker that had a trekking pole stolen by a deer. It wanted the salt in the grips. A pack could also have salt and get carried off by a deer. I know another hiker that had a bandana stolen by a squirrel, it wasn't recovered. And folks are worried about bears?

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I've heard of bears opening zippers without damaging the pack.
    In 1977 I was camped in Low Gap in NC and a bear had opened my Jansport pack which has a semi-circular zipper on the front. He/she opened the zipper, stuck its head in the pack, caused no damage except for a slight tear on a stuff sack, and then left. I witnessed the whole episode. Found out later that day I was in a bear sanctuary. In 2010 bears were active in the area of the Woods Hole shelter. Several people lost food and packs. One group tied their put their food in a pack and tied the pack to a small tree. The bear broke down the tree and took the pack
    More walking, less talking.

Images

Theoretically it could have been carried away by a flock of geese also but just theoretically. When you are in bear territory and interaction is increasing between the wildlife and hikers, rare encounters may happen more commonly but still they are rare . Deer is in that category for me.Plausible but nowhere near bear.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    Theoretically it could have been carried away by a flock of geese also but just theoretically.
    What about a swallow? I don't think a European swallow could carry it away, an African swallow, maybe.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kythruhiker View Post
    What about a swallow? I don't think a European swallow could carry it away, an African swallow, maybe.
    Unlikely, for that to be true the pack would need to be extremely light, like less than the weight of an average coconut...
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Unlikely, for that to be true the pack would need to be extremely light, like less than the weight of an average coconut...
    Perhaps if there were two swallows...

I had a bear encounter today. Bear didn't get my pack though....because I wasn't wearing one. I saw a 2-3 yr old male, looked well fed too, in downtowm Alpharetta this afternoon strolling through the busy 8 way intersection of Windward and Deerfield. Called PD to let folks know there was a bear in the area and to have them watch for any aholes feeding the bears marshmallows.

Similar thing happened to me in PA. My bag was covered in thick and slimy bear slobber! It was gross. And I saw the bear.

Then it should have been a thief. what thief steels a backpack 11 pm off the wall of a shelter then leave it 150 yards away intact?

Maybe a thief who dropped it and ran because they thought they were going to get caught. If I were looking to steal high dollar equipment I'd find a shelter just a few miles from a road crossing and hike in at night while everyone would be asleep. Someone watching shelter journals could easily predict who/what/how many would be at the given shelter. You could even wait at road crossings and give people trail magic in order to case what kind of equipment they had.

Does it make sense to anyone that a bear could carry a pack 150 yards, presumably with either its claws or teeth, without doing any damage? Why would it take a pack with no food smells? If there were food smells, why wouldn't it rip the pack open looking for the food?

Maybe it was just somebody playing a practical joke, trying to make people think it was a bear. A jokester wouild make sure to place the pack where they knew it would be found easily. A jerk who really wanted to screw with you would put it somewhere they thought you might not find it at all. Did the guy piss anybody off recently, and were they at the shelter or even just possibly in the area that night?

When I was at basic training in the Army our drill sgt used to go through the barracks after we'd left in the morning and if your bed wasn't made to his standards he'd toss the whole thing and make a mess of it. One guy in particular had his bunk tossed more than once, and it just infuriated him. It was funny to watch his reaction when he returned at the end of a long day to find his bunk messed up. So we started racing back to the barracks so we could get there before him and toss his bunk even if the drill sgt hadn't done it. After 8 weeks the guy never figured out that we were doing it and there were 7 of us in on the gag.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I had a bear encounter today. Bear didn't get my pack though....because I wasn't wearing one. I saw a 2-3 yr old male, looked well fed too, in downtowm Alpharetta this afternoon strolling through the busy 8 way intersection of Windward and Deerfield. Called PD to let folks know there was a bear in the area and to have them watch for any aholes feeding the bears marshmallows.
    I saw cellphone video of that bear last nite on the local news. He was at a Walmart.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Maybe a thief who dropped it and ran because they thought they were going to get caught. If I were looking to steal high dollar equipment I'd find a shelter just a few miles from a road crossing and hike in at night while everyone would be asleep. Someone watching shelter journals could easily predict who/what/how many would be at the given shelter. You could even wait at road crossings and give people trail magic in order to case what kind of equipment they had.

Does it make sense to anyone that a bear could carry a pack 150 yards, presumably with either its claws or teeth, without doing any damage? Why would it take a pack with no food smells? If there were food smells, why wouldn't it rip the pack open looking for the food?

Maybe it was just somebody playing a practical joke, trying to make people think it was a bear. A jokester wouild make sure to place the pack where they knew it would be found easily. A jerk who really wanted to screw with you would put it somewhere they thought you might not find it at all. Did the guy piss anybody off recently, and were they at the shelter or even just possibly in the area that night?

When I was at basic training in the Army our drill sgt used to go through the barracks after we'd left in the morning and if your bed wasn't made to his standards he'd toss the whole thing and make a mess of it. One guy in particular had his bunk tossed more than once, and it just infuriated him. It was funny to watch his reaction when he returned at the end of a long day to find his bunk messed up. So we started racing back to the barracks so we could get there before him and toss his bunk even if the drill sgt hadn't done it. After 8 weeks the guy never figured out that we were doing it and there were 7 of us in on the gag.
    You mentioned some nice plausible explanations for the human scenario. I like it . But , there is a but here. Is that shelter close to a busy road?

Did he ( a 70 years old man have any dough with some hikers?

The bear has been seen around the time of incident , so who dares to go 100 yards in the wood in the middle of the night to prank a mature hiker?for what reason?

Still your scenarios are plausible alternative if the BEAR was nor around. Right?

Is that shelter close to a busy road?
    About 2 1/2 miles. Each way.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kythruhiker:1479465
    Hopefully it was 150' in the correct direction, free slackpacks are the best.
    Hahaha! Fantastic way to start my morning. Coffee and a solid laugh

Quote Originally Posted by Carry-On View Post
    Perhaps if there were two swallows...
    That theory is hard to swallow.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++