WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    Well it was... Just because something is later confirmed doesn't justify the spreading of rumors initially. Maybe for some the ends justify the means, but in my mind that's not good practice.

Either way, in this case the info is out there now and how it got out there doesn't really matter anymore.
    Boo dat... it matters to me. I'm personally thankful that Blissful and ChinMusic shared what they were seeing and hearing first hand. I'm glad I decided to warn people upon reading their posts. It may not have turned out to the the Norovirus but so many hikers were getting sick it was well worth mentioning. No harm could be done either way.... Norovirus or not. See, I didn't forget the smiley face..

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Boo dat... it matters to me. I'm personally thankful that Blissful and ChinMusic shared what they were seeing and hearing first hand. I'm glad I decided to warn people upon reading their posts. It may not have turned out to the the Norovirus but so many hikers were getting sick it was well worth mentioning. No harm could be done either way.... Norovirus or not. See, I didn't forget the smiley face..
    I'm with ya HMKD.

I'm glad that they said something as well. I don't think anyone ever said that it should be kept quiet. I disagreed with some of the language originally used, as did some others, but not the 'heart' of the message.

My point in posting here wasn't to rehash an old dispute, and I hope we can avoid that, but I felt it was unfair to imply that because the rumors turned out to be true they were justified... Notice the language used here, most likely coming directly from medical professionals; 'viral outbreak...' Not 'SEVERE norovirus outbreak.' Kudos to you, or whoever it was, for guessing norovirus, but at the time it was posted it was not a confirmed fact.

You may say there's no harm in spreading the information, right or wrong, but I think accuracy matters. Given your logic we should just tell everyone that there is always a SEVERE norovirus outbreak on the AT, since that would make them more cautious with sanitation... Right? Maybe we should tell them that there are always murderers on the trail too? They'd certainly be more vigilant. No harm done, right?

After reviewing Hitched Hike's video blog on Utube; I really recomend a view, well shot and a great group who are enjoying the hike, they documented that the virus first made an appearance around Hot Springs

Is it reasonable to assume that by earlv August the virus will have died in places like Grayson and Mouth of Wilson?

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    I'm with ya HMKD.
    Thanks bfayer you're a great support for me. We see things a lot the same way. I like ur posts 2.

Gotta run (litterally) MDSection12 --I'll be back soon... I LOVE the !! ttyl my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    I'm glad that they said something as well. I don't think anyone ever said that it should be kept quiet. I disagreed with some of the language originally used, as did some others, but not the 'heart' of the message.

My point in posting here wasn't to rehash an old dispute, and I hope we can avoid that, but I felt it was unfair to imply that because the rumors turned out to be true they were justified... Notice the language used here, most likely coming directly from medical professionals; 'viral outbreak...' Not 'SEVERE norovirus outbreak.' Kudos to you, or whoever it was, for guessing norovirus, but at the time it was posted it was not a confirmed fact.

You may say there's no harm in spreading the information, right or wrong, but I think accuracy matters. Given your logic we should just tell everyone that there is always a SEVERE norovirus outbreak on the AT, since that would make them more cautious with sanitation... Right? Maybe we should tell them that there are always murderers on the trail too? They'd certainly be more vigilant. No harm done, right?
    First of all, I don't know what to say to Teacher&Snacktime about their upcoming hike. That makes me feel bad. I'm glad they have knowledge about the situation. I feel bad that the class of 2013 has been hit up with so many things.. cold snowy weather, a virus and a run away car at Trail Days- things just seem "out of the norm" more than other years.

I will say that it's not responsible posting to randomly post things that aren't true or that you don't know for sure is true. I think others agreed with me in not getting all bent out of shape over wording. The heart of the message was true..... a lot of hikers were sick. We can squabble over the correct use of words. For instance, I don't agree with you using the word "rumor" in describing knowledge of many sick hikers. It was not a rumor... they were a lot of sick hikers and the sickness was spreading like wildfire. I don't now, & never cared if it was confirmed as the norovirus. It doesn't matter at all. If you remember correctly the debate was centered around hikers even being sick with any thing other than a normal hiker upset stomach.

If the truth be known... there is always someone on the trail, somewhere, that is capable of committing murder, OK? The trail is not a magical place that is immune to viruses or murders or anything else that happens where humans are involved. So yes, we should all remain vigilant when interacting with others on the trail & with our personal sanitation practices. YES SIR!! Always remember the smiley face, always!!

My opinion, after catching it 3 times last year, is that the shelters are contaminated. I think even sitting on the picnic tables or floors of shelters to take a break was enough to infect. I think it will just keep re-occurring until the shelters are disinfected with bleach. Just my 2 cents

Frenchy

Quote Originally Posted by Majortrauma View Post
    Is it reasonable to assume that by earlv August the virus will have died in places like Grayson and Mouth of Wilson?
    no. it's safe to assume that if you use shelters, privies, share food and stay at cheap hostels you're gonna get sick

First of all, I don't know what to say to Teacher&Snacktime about their upcoming hike. That makes me feel bad. I'm glad they have knowledge about the situation. I feel bad that the class of 2013 has been hit up with so many things.. cold snowy weather, a virus and a run away car at Trail Days- things just seem "out of the norm" more than other years.

I will say that it's not responsible posting to randomly post things that aren't true or that you don't know for sure is true. I think others agreed with me in not getting all bent out of shape over wording. The heart of the message was true..... a lot of hikers were sick. We can squabble over the correct use of words. For instance, I don't agree with you using the word "rumor" in describing knowledge of many sick hikers. It was not a rumor... they were a lot of sick hikers and the sickness was spreading like wildfire. I don't now, & never cared if it was confirmed as the norovirus. It doesn't matter at all. If you remember correctly the debate was centered around hikers even being sick with any thing other than a normal hiker upset stomach.

If the truth be known... there is always someone on the trail, somewhere, that is capable of committing murder, OK? The trail is not a magical place that is immune to viruses or murders or anything else that happens where humans are involved. So yes, we should all remain vigilant when interacting with others on the trail & with our personal sanitation practices. YES SIR!! Always remember the smiley face, always!!
    I can't find anything to disagree with...

Images

what i would tell teacher and snacktime is not to worry about it. i hiked right amid the norobubble, and me along with most others did not get sick.if you do get sick, its generally over in 14 hrs.its not the plague.limit your contact with filthy hikers such as yourself and you'll most likely be fine.
    its something to be concerned about, but not enough for it to affect your hike or to get panicky over.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    We're not planning on staying IN shelters, but does anyone know if it's a surface or airborne contagion?
    I would not change my plans. IMO we are not going to see anywhere near the numbers of sick hikers that we did near Erwin in late Mar/early April. IMO sicknesses will be more sporadic and even more associated with shelters.

There is an airborne component to norovirus but with many less sick people around, much less of a threat. The airborne component is associated with the vomit. It was very hard to avoid being around vomit in late Mar/early April. You should not have that as an issue.

Bottom line: Keep your plan. Staying away from shelters will decrease your risk. Wash your hands often, especially prior to eating. Keep your hands away from your face as much possible.

IMO your risks are low. Enjoy the outdoors. Do be on the lookout for ticks.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

HikermomKD, Hikerboy57 and ChinMusic,

Thanks so much for the encouragement. So much has gotten in the way of this last potential section hike of our school year that I figured this might be the straw that broke the hiker's back. Snacktime would be terribly disappointed if he never got to the promised Half Gallon Challenge though, so we'll give it a shot and take our chances...and be extra careful with sanitation and cleanliness. CM, I guess since you're already at Harper's Ferry you'll probably be past our hike zone when we hit PA...sorry for that as I'd like to have gotten the chance to meet you in person. HM, hope to meet you this fall...thought maybe a Roanoke section might be in order. Snacktime would love to meet our VA WB friend, and if some of that slack-packin' help might be available it would be something new to try. HB, you and Coach Lou seem to crop up in photos and posts everywhere we're headed....any chance of seeing you guys on the trail? THAT would be a hoot!

SO....since this thread is supposed to be about the potential sickness on the trail.....let's ALL take care out there people!
    Healthy Hiking!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Default CDC Website

Quote Originally Posted by Swordpen View Post
    This is a good article. But what bugs me about it is this: "he said, hand sanitizers do not combat norovirus. A bleach-and-water solution is needed to kill this particular virus".

Then duh, he doesn't tell you how many parts of water mixed with bleach, is necessary. Dumb, DUMB reporter. That's the first thing I would have asked the physician epidemiologist.
    According to the CDC.org website: "After throwing up or having diarrhea, immediately clean and disinfect contaminated surfaces by using a bleach-based household cleaner as directed on the product label. If no such cleaning product is available, you can use a solution made with 5 tablespoons to 1.5 cups of household bleach per 1 gallon of water."

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    no. it's safe to assume that if you use shelters, privies, share food and stay at cheap hostels you're gonna get sick
    I did all that and didn't get sick. Hundreds of others did the same and didn't get sick. Keeping a reasonable level of personal hygiene is probably the best defense.

I suspect there is an infected bubble which is self perpetuating moving up the trail. If your ahead or well behind this bubble, no problems.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

HikermomKD, Hikerboy57 and ChinMusic,

Thanks so much for the encouragement. So much has gotten in the way of this last potential section hike of our school year that I figured this might be the straw that broke the hiker's back. Snacktime would be terribly disappointed if he never got to the promised Half Gallon Challenge though, so we'll give it a shot and take our chances...and be extra careful with sanitation and cleanliness. CM, I guess since you're already at Harper's Ferry you'll probably be past our hike zone when we hit PA...sorry for that as I'd like to have gotten the chance to meet you in person. HM, hope to meet you this fall...thought maybe a Roanoke section might be in order. Snacktime would love to meet our VA WB friend, and if some of that slack-packin' help might be available it would be something new to try. HB, you and Coach Lou seem to crop up in photos and posts everywhere we're headed....any chance of seeing you guys on the trail? THAT would be a hoot!

SO....since this thread is supposed to be about the potential sickness on the trail.....let's ALL take care out there people!
    Healthy Hiking!
    I would love to meet you and Snacktime this fall. You are welcome to come anytime!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I did all that and didn't get sick. Hundreds of others did the same and didn't get sick. Keeping a reasonable level of personal hygiene is probably the best defense.

I suspect there is an infected bubble which is self perpetuating moving up the trail. If your ahead or well behind this bubble, no problems.
    i suspect the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post

IMO if you are in the bubble of sickness no degree of hygiene will save you. The airborne component is just too strong.

I stayed in no shelters.
    I used no privies.
    I shared no food.
    I touched no hikers.

I still got sick.

There was just so much vomit everywhere that breathing infected you.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I would love to meet you and Snacktime this fall. You are welcome to come anytime!
    Great! I'll start making plans for the new school year.....that is if we survive our PA hike this month....Chin Music is getting me nervous!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

.Chin Music is getting me nervous!
    No, no. You will NOT have an issue on the trail like I did in Mar/Apr.

IMO you will be fine v

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++