WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default PA Group to Start Hike - Late June-July

I'm going to be starting my hike in PA - flexible on where. Afterwards, I'll be hiking North, ideally all the way to Maine. I'm looking for people to start my hike with, as I'll be a beginner to long-distance hikes. Especially other girls, 20-35 years old.

This may sound a bit odd, but if you don't find anyone suitable before you begin, don't find anyone on the trail that suits you the first night out, and are shy, uncomfortable, whatever, at first meeting other hikers, I would suggest on the 2nd morning, without telling anyone, to turn around and slowly hike SOBO. Then as you pass people going the other way, if they have time to stop and chat, consider sharing your concerns and if you like and trust them, turn around and go with them NOBO. You could walk SOBO from the first step, if you didn't even want to stay one night in a shelter or tent spot with people you don't know.

Nah, if I can't find anyone beforehand I'll be fine solo-hiking, and I trust that I'll eventually meet people along the trail. I hear great things about the AT community, and I've made at least one good friend on every trip I've ever been on where I didn't know anyone at first. I'm just worried about hiking alone, especially as someone who doesn't have that much hiking experience, and especially as a woman. That's why I asked for other women - it doesn't matter if all the people in the first place I bunker down for the night at are perfectly great and kind, I'll still be nervous if they're all men. No offense to your gender. Just some of them are a notable threat to women alone, and you can never tell which ones. I'll just keep some pepper spray on me, I guess.

Thank you very much for your advice, though. If I can't find anyone and I'm pining for a nice group to hike with, I'll certainly try that out.

Hey Holly... I'll keep you in mind closer to your start date. I know a girl that's hiking now... B-Rocket. I'll see where she is later this month. I'll check back with ya. :0)

My comment was because sometimes when I start out with one or two and they bail out and I've walked alone all day and no one is in the shelter either, I have thought about doing a 180 until I find someone to walk back the original way with. This is more a problem on other trails than the AT, except in winter.

And I'd rather walk backwards than sit still a day in a shelter waiting :-)

If you're okay hiking solo, I wouldn't stress too much about finding a partner pre-hike. There's plenty of people on the AT! Some you'll want to hang with, and some you won't. Also, if you hit NOBO's that are in PA, there's a good chance they'll make it all the way. It seems like the 25% and 50% markers had the biggest drop-out rates (this is just what I heard/experienced going SOBO)...Not sure where you are in PA, but I bet most of the people tracking through will be used to trail life and pushing for the end.

Where in PA? I'd consider going out and hiking with you a few days to get you started! I turn 25 in a week.. Completed my first thru-hike last year.. Stay in touch!

Check Youtube and the trail journals. A June/July start in PA hiking to Maine, you will probably be bumping into a few thru hikers along the way. Reading up on a few NOBO 2013 thru hikers, and what they learned from GA to PA would not only be helpful, but at least you may have a few familiar names and faces when you run into them in real life.

Thanks guys! When it gets closer to the time, I'll be sure to check back with this stuff.

Hey, I'm not sure if you're gonna continue to follow this post or not, but I was checking the map for where Glenside is and you're out by Philly. I'm like dead center in the state, about an hour from where the trail hits Duncannon. If you're gonna start in PA I would recommend starting in Hamburg. It's not too far from where you're at, and if I remember correctly, the Pinnacle and Knife's Edge are just north of there, and they're probably the most notable sections in PA (IMO). Hamburg was a cool little highway town and has a Cabela's if you need some last minute gear items. Also, the Microtel there was great and had a pub with good food and booze! From what I heard, in season, Cabela's shuttles hikers to the trail head (again, this is in-season and you'd have to check the times/availability). Since it's your first long-distance hike, be reasonable in the miles you plan to start with, and be sure to bring enough food. Starting in PA is both good and bad. The good part, PA is super flat! You really only have ups and downs when dropping into and climbing out of gaps except for the area known as the roller coaster. And, honestly, the roller coaster really wasn't all that bad. The bad things about PA...the rocks and the lack of water! I didn't start hiking/back-packing until I moved to PA, so rocks are all I know. In reality, I didn't think the rocks were all that bad, and the northern section of PA was worse than the southern section (a lot of hikers hated the rocks though). Do be careful with water. Going south the first day in PA was like 16miles without water, and the second day was closer to 20. I think there was an "unreliable" source both days, but it was a mile off the trail and downhill. I wouldn't take the chance and just carried water for the day. Other then that, PA is relatively easy. You really shouldn't have any problems meeting people on the trail. So, with that, good luck and HYOH!

I'm a fellow woman hiker, age 25, and looking for a buddy to join me too. Though I can't start sooner than June 2016.. Which apparently writing asking if people are interested that far in advance is unheard of.. Hope you can find what you're looking for and stay safe (my mother insists I go with somebody and won't "let" me go if I try to go alone).. But hey, if you're around and wanna thru-hike SOBO summer 2016, let me know!

~I Suggest We Learn To Love Ourselves Before Its Made Illegal

++ New Posts ++