WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

So, for my section hike in Pennsylvania this year, I bought Aqua Mira because my MSR filter has broken down the past 2 years. Are some of you thinking I should have picked up a Sawyer Squeeze?

A few notes on my experiences with the Squeeze:
    1. The bags, even the old ones, are fine if you don't go crazy with the squeezing. The filter will even work pretty well with just gravity, I have set mine up to use that way.
    2. The bags are hard to fill from many sources, so take something to scoop up water if you will be somewhere with shallow pools to scoop from.
    3. I have never used or even opened the package for the syringe. It is easy enough to reverse flush with a bag or water faucet. If using a bag to flush you may need a tornado tube or some other fitting(s). The inline fittings kit and a length of hose will work.

Quote Originally Posted by staehpj1 View Post
    A few notes on my experiences with the Squeeze:
    1. The bags, even the old ones, are fine if you don't go crazy with the squeezing. The filter will even work pretty well with just gravity, I have set mine up to use that way.
    2. The bags are hard to fill from many sources, so take something to scoop up water if you will be somewhere with shallow pools to scoop from.
    3. I have never used or even opened the package for the syringe. It is easy enough to reverse flush with a bag or water faucet. If using a bag to flush you may need a tornado tube or some other fitting(s). The inline fittings kit and a length of hose will work.
    Forgot to mention... You can just hold the filter against a faucet with no additional fittings to flush it. Water will probably spray all over you, but it works fine other than that.

Quote Originally Posted by staehpj1 View Post
    Forgot to mention... You can just hold the filter against a faucet with no additional fittings to flush it. Water will probably spray all over you, but it works fine other than that.
    Staehpj1,
    In your experience, do you think it would be feasible to leave the syringe at home and just faucet backflush it during town stops during an AT thru?
    Follow My Hiking Adventures: http://www.youtube.com/SaraDhooma
    Or if you just like photos: http://instagram.com/scifi_sara

Images

We took the smallest of the three bags and cut the bottom off to use as a water scoop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++