WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Around and about...

Default Norovirus still an issue for shelters between Clingmans and Hot Springs?

Norovirus still an issue for shelters between Clingmans and Hot Springs?

I wanted to check if that was all clear now or still a concern.

Thanks.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I never heard of it in the Smokies. We just had a recent outbreak here in SNP, southern section.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

We had a ton of sick hikers from hot springs to Erwin. My opinion is that it is from a contaminated water source. A half-fast pole I took of about 20 fellow hikers, some of which were not sick, including myself found that nearly everyone that was only using a filter was sick but those of us using aqua Mira or other drops were not. And I stayed at all the shelters and hostels too. Remember no filter can remove a waterborne virus.
    Also hygiene is likely part of the issue.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jcheil View Post
    We had a ton of sick hikers from hot springs to Erwin. My opinion is that it is from a contaminated water source. A half-fast pole I took of about 20 fellow hikers, some of which were not sick, including myself found that nearly everyone that was only using a filter was sick but those of us using aqua Mira or other drops were not. And I stayed at all the shelters and hostels too. Remember no filter can remove a waterborne virus.
    I beg to differ on filters removing viruses. First Need and Sawyer Squeeze both remove viruses.
    Blackheart

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    I beg to differ on filters removing viruses. First Need and Sawyer Squeeze both remove viruses.
    The Sawyer squeeze does not remove viruses; viruses are smaller than the 0.1 micron that the squeeze removes. Sawyer does make a 0.02 micron filter that is supposed to remove most viruses. I don't know about the First Need.

Bleach or chlorine dioxide are pretty effective at killing viruses. I'm skeptical of bleach for other nasties, but it should be good for virus.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jcheil View Post
    This is interesting. When you said from a water source I thought no way since the Norovirus is transmitted usually by hand to mouth after contact with contaminated surfaces. I wondered if the virus can survive in water and so I did a little searching and found this: "
    When the ship docks, norovirus can be brought on board in contaminated food or water" http://www.cdc.gov/features/dsnorovirus/

And this reference to pool water:
    On 3 February 2004, the Vermont Department of Health received reports of acute gastroenteritis in persons who had recently visited a swimming facility. A retrospective cohort study was conducted among persons attending the facility between 30 January and 2 February. Fifty-three of 189 (28%) persons interviewed developed vomiting or diarrhoea within 72 h after visiting the facility. Five specimens tested positive for norovirus and three specimen sequences were identical. Entering the smaller of the two pools at the facility was significantly associated with illness. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2870624/

So yes I believe it is possible to pick up the virus from water sources unless treated with method that kills viruses.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Does the Steripen remove these viruses?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    The Sawyer squeeze does not remove viruses; viruses are smaller than the 0.1 micron that the squeeze removes. Sawyer does make a 0.02 micron filter that is supposed to remove most viruses. I don't know about the First Need.

Bleach or chlorine dioxide are pretty effective at killing viruses. I'm skeptical of bleach for other nasties, but it should be good for virus.
    I Stand Corrected thank you
    Blackheart

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BostonBlue View Post
    Does the Steripen remove these viruses?
    Steripen kills everything! (as long as the batteries work)

Lots of studies here to read on its effectiveness:
    http://www.steripen.com/micro-biological-testing/
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Could any of the hot springs in Hot Springs be the culprit?

++ New Posts ++