WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Beyond Damascus

Default Beyond Damascus

Well its been a couple of years since I was forced to abort my thru hike --NOBO--at Damascus. Left in Feb from the Approach Trail and just when the weather was starting to warm up and I was going to be able to lighten my winter pack--a couple of very serious family issues occurred back home. The only right choice was to head home. However, it has bothered me as Ive felt like I failed on my thru hike journey and need to get reconnected here with friends and listen to suggestions on what others have done in similar experiences.
    The folks at Damascus where awesome helping me to get back home and soften the news and regrets of leaving the trail. Just need to hear suggestions and get reconnected with my friends here.
    Thanks in advance.
    Tawa

Tawa,
    Read this article: http://francistapon.com/Travels/Advi...il-and-in-Life

And remember ... a successful hike is one in which YOU "hike your own hike" ... I think that means that whether you receive a 2000-miler certificate or not, how ever many miles you hike, you have successfully hiked if you learn what "hike your own hike" means for you.

There is no shame in not completing a Thru Hike or getting that certificate.

Please look at the last post on my blog ... comments welcome.

Coosa
    Chasing The Trail [my blog]
    My blog, dedicated to my Dad: Chasing the Trail
    Proverbs 4:26 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways.
    Hike Your Own Hike

my best advice for you is HYOH ... I was in a similar situation in 2010, starting at Amicalola Falls SP in Apr-2010, then returned home after getting to Damascus. Now I am perfectly happy being a section hiker, and am gradually working my way north on the AT in manageable section hikes. Now up to the James River near Glasgow in central Virginia. I also love going to Vermont in September to hike the Long Trail. You have to decide what is important to you and your family. I think you could be happy just going back to Damascus, VA and heading north again when it feels right to you. The trail and the scenery north of Damascus are fantastic, I've loved the AT from Damascus to Glasgow so far, and looking forward to getting up there again to head north to Harpers Ferry on another section hike. And if a "thru hike" is still important to you, and if you have the time, you can always hike Damascus to Maine, then flip flop down and do Damascus to Springer in the fall.

good luck

Thanks Coosa. Very nice and your thoughts helped alot. Not use to not finishing what I set my mind to and absolutely loved the challenge and experience from Springer to Damascus. Maybe I can start preparing for the next leg --say from Damascus to Harpers Ferry and just keep plugging away a section at a time.
    I appreciate the encouraging and words and hope to meet u further on down the road!

Thanks Coosa. Your comments helped in getting me thinking and moving again.

Thanks Praha4! Know I need to get moving North and enjoy the view!

Journal Entries
    Images

Moved this thread/topic to the "General" forum.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by tawa View Post
    Well its been a couple of years since I was forced to abort my thru hike --NOBO--at Damascus.
    I don't necessarily mean to answer this question for you but instead, to suggest that you ask yourself this -- when you're on your deathbed are you going to ask yourself why you didn't go ahead and return to the AT and continue your hike northward from Damascus to Katahdin?

If you believe you'll be asking yourself that question, begin to make a plan to bring yourself back onto the AT and continue your hike northward. That's not to say you will necessarily automatically make it to Katahdin. But it is the returning, I think, that might answer the question I've posed.

I had posed that same question to myself on my return from the PCT after the desert. I ended up returning to the PCT a multitude of times in order to have completed the PCT as well as having satisfied myself that I hadn't prematurely walked away from the challenge. As someone had said to me, "It's worse than a puppy!"

When I ponder all of the challenges I've undertaken, all the wealth I've obtained (intrinsic and tangible), all the conflicts I've absorbed, all the situations I've put up with, all the beautiful women I've not pursued -- there aren't many from which I would deject on my deathbed. That makes it easy to live with myself and each of my character flaws, real and imagined. If continuing your hike of the AT is your destiny, then so be it and accept it and make the necessary plans to continue.

I suspect, simply by posing the question, you've answered your own question.

Datto

++ New Posts ++