WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

THOUGHTS AND SMILES TO MANY MILES AWAY.... DAMASCUS STRONG EVERYONE!!!
    Solace & KTR Thinking of y'all!!!
    "Reach Farther" ~ SOLACE

The only positive grain in this horrible story is the quick and effective response by EMTers and the hikers who jumped right in to help, possibly saving some lives. So gratifying to hear of the unselfish acts of courage by the hikers.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    The only positive grain in this horrible story is the quick and effective response by EMTers and the hikers who jumped right in to help, possibly saving some lives. So gratifying to hear of the unselfish acts of courage by the hikers.
    2 of which are our very own army ant and invisible man(ozjackos son)both of who i started with from springer.
    army ants latest tj entry:http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=14704.
    incredible job by everyone involved, and also another greaa example of the hiking community taking care of each other.
    great job guys!!

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I just left Damascus and have Internet access again.

I was hearing that reports of the drivers death are inaccurate.

I was about 6-8 feet from the Caddilac as it started picking off walkers. The sight and sound of bodies being thrown about is lodged in my head.

The immediate reaction and care my fellow hikers had cannot be over praised. Within seconds there was a strategy to remove the hiker pinned under the car. There was not room for one more person along side the car as they lifted this large vehicle. Trail Talks Windigrrl just happened to be at the RV park. Being a nurse she jumped into what she is trained for. Our own Jack Tarlin helped clear the road to allow ambulances in quicker.

The actions by all involved was stellar.
    Thank you for the updated and accurate information ChinMusic. Hope all recovery quickly.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Here is a happy girl (Rainbow Bright). Close call, but looks in good spirits.

http://lucieonthelam.com/2013/05/18/...at-trail-days/
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post

shes a good kid, glad shes not seriously hurt

Glad the 'scuttlebutt' was incorrect ... I'd heard from someone there in Damascus but the 'word on the street' she'd heard was inaccurate.

I don't mean for this to sound harsh: I hope the driver of the car has good insurance because even with a 'medical incident' he's at fault and the Hikers who need the financial help with medical bills and the Helicopter Flights should be covered by his auto insurance policy.

This is a tragedy mostly because it was so unexpected. Don't know if something like this can be prevented in the future, but I imagine there will be more 'due diligence' next year.

Y'all be safe and enjoy the rest of your hikes ... and if you're unable to complete your hike this year ... get well and try for next year.

God bless,
    Coosa
    My blog, dedicated to my Dad: Chasing the Trail
    Proverbs 4:26 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways.
    Hike Your Own Hike

If it is true that this man and his Caddie were authorized to be in the parade, I question the thought process. I know this is Monday-Morning QBing.

Having an elderly person, one who has handicapped plates no less, positioned behind walkers, just sounds like poor policy. If if was that important for him to be in the parade, have him driven be someone else, driving in the front, or driven on something like a quad.

I never saw his car from the beginning. He may have been there but all I recall were EMT vehicles directly behind me. There is conflicting info on how he entered the parade. I would assume that with all the video rolling that someone caught it.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Wondering where the info that the driver died is coming from, it's not been echoed by major news organizations, nor anything but rumor. The car passed to my right, went about 100 feet on the bridge (was with the 2003 group, which was confined to the bridge) but outrage at a fast-moving car on the right quickly turned to horror and confusion, as we saw and heard folks getting knocked down and didn't know their status, nor whether the assault was accidental or deliberate/aggressive. Is LW still on here? I thought I saw him among the emergency personnel. I just checked in here to see if there were any updates. I must say, my heart swells with love for the hiker community tonight, as folks rushed back in to help those knocked down/pinned. Some man was saying "the guy might have a bomb, get off the bridge" but hikers went back out to help those on the ground regardless. Kudos to the hiking community, and the locals who jumped in and helped. After watching the car take down, it's miraculous to me there were no fatalities. Quick response from many. We are all in this together.
    "The Ordinary Adventurer"
    http://www.FunFreedom.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jan LiteShoe View Post
    Wondering where the info that the driver died is coming from, it's not been echoed by major news organizations, nor anything but rumor.
    I just saw that HeartFire (LightHeart Tents) posted on the LightHeart FB page that the driver has died. She said on her page that she is fine, and was at her booth when it happened. I don't know how she knows, but she is not one to spread rumors.

BZ to all that assisted and all the first responders!!

Prayers to everyone that was injured and to the family of the driver.

Images

Having watched all the local news coverage and updated scrolling news no mention of this. I believe there needs to be confirmation from a reliable source to alleviate the discrepancies.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Chin Music - Hindsight.......

Trail Days 2013 054.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    If it is true that this man and his Caddie were authorized to be in the parade, I question the thought process. I know this is Monday-Morning QBing.

Having an elderly person, one who has handicapped plates no less, positioned behind walkers, just sounds like poor policy. If if was that important for him to be in the parade, have him driven be someone else, driving in the front, or driven on something like a quad.

I never saw his car from the beginning. He may have been there but all I recall were EMT vehicles directly behind me. There is conflicting info on how he entered the parade. I would assume that with all the video rolling that someone caught it.
    You are right in saying that the last vehicles in the parade behind the hikers were EMT vehicles. Here's a pic of Warren Doyle bringing up the end of the parade. Right behind him are the last 2 EMT vehicles. Unconfirmed sources say the Cadillac came around the right side of those vehicles from behind them. Like you said, sooner or later videos will show up, but as you can see in the pic the Cadillac is not in the parade right behind the hikers.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post

It was so good of you to post (and, therefore, make real) the post-incident photo of Angel Bright, who clearly may have a broken toe but definitely does not have a broken spirit. Thanks.

You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

It is truly amazing how little press this is getting. Now if there had been a gun or a bomb involved, the news guys would be all over it ad nauseum.

Bob..it was on CNN. Can't get much more national

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wandering_bob View Post
    It is truly amazing how little press this is getting. Now if there had been a gun or a bomb involved, the news guys would be all over it ad nauseum.
    It has been in USA today & every online paper I read today. Just not much more info or follow up on it.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Trail Days 2013 054.jpg
    You are right in saying that the last vehicles in the parade behind the hikers were EMT vehicles. Here's a pic of Warren Doyle bringing up the end of the parade. Right behind him are the last 2 EMT vehicles. Unconfirmed sources say the Cadillac came around the right side of those vehicles from behind them. Like you said, sooner or later videos will show up, but as you can see in the pic the Cadillac is not in the parade right behind the hikers.
    That is very interesting, I wonder what Warren has to say about it. And, please, folks, get off this elderly business. The man was ill.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Dang, first time anything I have said has made the Wash Post. I didn't think that fireside interview would have this range.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/local/up...f7c_story.html
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    Also, a roll call is needed, like either who was injured or who wasn't.
    Kinnickinic, my wife Stitch and I were there, but are fine. We were waiting in front of MRO for the parade. As in this thread, rumors were flying yesterday. The truth seems to be that by the grace of God injuries were far less than they might have been and for that we are very thankful.

I'll add that with the street closed for a few hours, and word spread about the reason why, everyone I saw demonstrated a great deal of patience and courtesy with the slow traffic bottlenecks.

We just arrived by home this evening after an eventful weekend in three states.

RainMan

Last edited by Rain Man; 05-19-2013 at 22:28.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++