WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default ThruHike: Foam Core vs. Air Pad

For those of you who have completed thru-hikes or other long-distance hikes, would you say the relative cheapness of foam core pads is worth the possible loss of comfort? Which would you say is best in terms of weight, comfort, and insulation?

Take this with a grain of salt, as I've not thru-hiked a major trail (yet). But IMO, no cost/weight savings can justify a bad night's sleep. Sleep is so, so important. Choose the best, most comfortable pad you can afford.
    Last edited by RodentWhisperer; 05-13-2013 at 09:04.
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I've done enough long-distance hiking to agree with the Rodent... a good night's sleep is worth whatever it takes, don't skimp.

A foam pad is just something that you have to get used to. Humans were sleeping on the ground long before air mattresses or even beds. Get used to it and you will be fine. I use a 1/4 inch foam pad and it is just basically there for insulation.

I'm pondering this, too. At Kelseyem's age, insulation was enough for me. But I want more padding now, and there are lots of variations available. The self- inflating foam - core appeals to me, as maybe being easier to set up, warmer, sturdier than blow- up mattresses. However, there are now some air mattresses containing insulation, and some designs claiming to reduce air circulation inside (less chilling). It seems the foam core type is heavier, and it isn't very compact... just a long roll. Either type is sometimes supplied with a patch kit; and that notion of needing patches worries me. I'm still shopping, probably for a torso- length cushy pad. Thanks Kelseyem, for opening this discussion.

I'll add a little bit more, following from Bud and Scirocco. Any sleep system needs to be compatible with your sleeping style: warm/cool, back/side/stomach, turning/thrashing/motionless, bag/quilt... it all will affect what makes a pad work for you.

I'm a warm side sleeper who doesn't move much; I tend to turn onto my stomach. I use a quilt. I've found an inflatable pad (with good loft) and no additional insulation works well for me. One of my hiking partners sleeps on her back, tosses an turns, and uses a mummy bag... she swears by her 1/2" CCF pad. To each, their own.
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

IMO, about half way through a thru hike you will sleep about anywhere as long as it is warm. I agree with previous post that say the pad was mostly for insulation and not comfort. That being said I was always jealous of people with air pads. I couldn't afford the extra luxury back in those days when the foam pad cost $20 and the new Prolite cost about $140. In '06 I was gifted both reg. and lg. Prolite pads and since then I never had a blowout or puncture in either. Just my personal experience but they have been great to me.

I've always had issues with pads. There are pros and cons to both air and foam. Air pads can blow-out or leak, take up space in the pack, are heavy, require multiple times the energy to prepare and pack-up are just a few. Foam pads also have issues. They compress in the night after sleeping on but cannot be compressed to fit inside a pack, they wear thin in short time and don't have much loft off the ground. I'd say weight is my biggest issue, air pads weight about twice what the same size foam pad weighs. But, things have changed recently. A few companies have put out very light and thick air pads. Now a Neoair weights the same as the foam pads for equal size. For me, I can't wait till REI puts out another 20% coupon and I am going to buy a Thermarest Neoair. 12 oz's, same as the TR foam pad.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I love my air pads. However, if I were to go on a thru-hike or really long hike, I'd probably take a foam pad like a z-lite. Simple, rugged, and won't leave you flat.

Here is another quick resource to help guide your decision.

http://www.backpackingengineer.com/gear/sleep.html

Journal Entries

When you are young, you can sleep on anything.

When you get older, it hurts just to lay in a bed in a single position too long. It hurts just to sit still for too long in a chair.

It all depends on the individual.

Its not just about insulation.

Garlic
    Images

Another criterion on your list should be "durability". I don't want to embark on a 2000 mile multi-month journey with something that comes with a repair kit. So I go for the rugged, cheap and simple Z-rest or similar.

(I did not sleep on shelter floors on my AT hike. If you plan on doing that, you'll probably want an inflatable--and the repair kit.)
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

I took a POS (Pacific Outdoor Equipment) pad on my thru. It was junk and had at least a dozen leaks due to manufacturing error. I swore I would convert back foam but I ended up switching to a NEoair xlite short in the 3 seasons and a Neoair xtherm for the winter. This is a classic case of trade off. Price, comfort and durability. Pick two of three at best. If I were leaving on a thru tomorrow I would take my xlite. Much more durable than the POS I took. A good nights sleep is critical for the style of hiking that I do.

Magic_game 03,
    I got the REI Anniversary Sale catalog in the mail last Saturday. 20% off May 17-27. I will be trying every pad in Houston this weekend. Still scratching my head on this topic.

Wayne

Journal Entries

I like a 1/8" CCF pad under an xlite. I can also use the CCF for sitpad when taking breaks. Protects it , well protects 60" of it anyway because thats as long as mine is. 2.5oz , well worth it. If the xlite fails, I still have something , double the ccf over to make ~1/4 '' torso pad.

I carried 6 sections of a z-lite on my AT hike. That providing padding and insulation from my shoulders to my hips...my legs and feet got their padding from my pack with the rain gear in the outer mesh pocket. I spent the week before the start of my hike sleeping on the floor at home using the z-lite to help get my body prepared. I never failed to have a good night's sleep on the trail...almost every night sleep came fast and early. Every couple of hours I woke up, turned to the other side and immediately returned to sleep. I slept in my tent every night on the trail except for 4 or 5 when I stayed in shelters. The z-lite is definitely not as comfortable on the wood surface in a shelter, but for those limited number of nights, it worked out just fine.

Images

I can sleep fine on both. I'm a heavy guy.

I like the stiffness and quick packing/deployment of a thicker foam pad. It's bomber too.

I like the compact packed size of an air pad.

Weight and insulation can be about the same if you spend enough money.

++ New Posts ++